Friday, June 7, 2013

S-U-M-M-E-R ~ It's in full-swing in Southeast Texas

I'm a girl who doesn't care much for change, so when the seasons roll around every year, I tend to haul the same four boxes from the attic. 

I don't know what it is about the passing of time that makes me less likely to want new things. I seem to grow fonder of my collections with each year that goes by. Maybe it's the predictability of flinging opening boxes and seeing familiar faces. That's me and The Man in the photo on the mantel, in the early 80's, on the sands of Destin, Florida, back before it was discovered. It remains one of our favorite beaches.


So, in usual fashion, I didn't change things up much for summer, but I did replace the large sailboat that I used to put in front of the fireplace with a Boston fern. The sailboat will probably find a place in my booth, as I'm tired of keeping it propped up. (I couldn't bring myself to wake the sleeping dog, and he's too cute to crop out.)



I also made a paper bunting banner for the mantel. It's nothing special, and was done on a whim, but I'm pleased with how it turned out.


I free-handed the word "summer" on the pennants. Using a hole-punch, I threaded twine through the holes for hanging. Super simple. Super easy. Just my style.


Each summer, it's always a pleasure adding to my growing collection of seashells. This is but a small sampling. These were gathered during our travels over the course of our long marriage. From coast-to-coast, we have shells.


Here I am in 2009, scouring the Cape Cod coastline. The pickings were slim that summer.


I turned this starfish candle-holder into a stand for my lantern. That way, we have both candle and safety and it burns a lot slower inside the lantern.


Of course, how can you think of summer without thinking of America's favorite pastime? This was The Man's  baseball glove back when he was a wee thing. 


So, how's summer shaping up at your place?

We've been sweating it out in the mid-90's daily.

Have mercy!

Thank the Lord for air-conditioning.


***

21 comments:

  1. Is that a photo of you and your husband on the mantel in the first picture? What a great shot. I like all your seashells!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kim ... that is me and The Man back in the 80's, visiting one of our favorite seashores, Destin, Florida.

      Delete
    2. I will edit my post to reflect this, since you brought it up. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Everything looks lovely, Dayle. What a good idea to make the candle holder your lantern stand! And the pendants are so cute! What lovely memories are connected to the seashells, too. Congratulations!

    So far summer in Massachusetts has been pretty cool. Today there's a chilly rain! But I'm not complaining. I'm a cool weather kind of girl.

    When I lived in Arizona, air-conditioners and pools kept me alive. ha ha

    Take care and hope you have a beautiful weekend. Susan P.S. What scent candle are you burning? I love the descriptions of your candles. Is this one from your niece's store? Just curious. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm burning a fragrance called "White Sail," from my niece's store. It's divine.

      Delete
    2. Actually, the candle in the lantern is not scented. It dawned on me that was probably the candle you referred to, but the candle I'm burning in the foyer for the season is called "White Sail" and it smells wonderfully summery.

      Delete
  3. From a fellow beach bum - I love your shell collections. The pennant is sweet as is the dog. ;) We're getting a good bit of rain from the tropical storm and that's cooled everything off tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some rain yesterday and it was, pleasantly, cooler this morning. Ah ... if only it would last.

      Delete
  4. I love your family photo art! It adds so much to your decor! We are enjoying some cool temps here in the mountains now! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mantle looks beautiful! I grew up going to Destin. I hate that so many discovered it! We have found a new place that is equally as quiet and beautiful. . . Life to the full! Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your beautiful summer mantel! Destin is one of my favorite places in Florida too although I don't make it up that way very often anymore. Thanks for your visits over at my place. Sorry I'm always so delayed in my visits here. Hopefully someday soon life will slow down for me a bit. Enjoy the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your summer mantel is so, well summery! Love the addition of the baseball.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your mantle. I have collected seashells from coast to coast, too over the years. The weather is perfect here right now.
    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have just started our winter here in Australia, so we are feeling a little bit chilly. But as we hardly have a winter snow that settles I guess we don't have too much to complain about. I love your decorations especially the sand and shells in the vases.
    Thank you for sharing I feel warmer already.
    Nell

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always a breath of fresh air - summer in NY.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is a sense of peace in that room...of joy, and warm memories.

    Keep cool, find a tall glass of something lovely to sip.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute and craft ideas for summer. I love them

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the banner. I've got colored glitter if you want some bling on it.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE all your shells. I'm a beach girl too & I love to collect sand, shells & Beach Glass. I don't think our Texas beaches compare to others though... I would love to go up to Cape Cod. This year we're going back to the central coast of California. Your SUMMER banner is cute & I really liked the photo of you & your sweetie walking hand in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am with you on not wanting a lot of new things, remember, if it ain't broke why fix it. The dog is gorgeous with those cute eye patch spots.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You were right to let sleeping dogs lie :)

    Wonderful cool temps here for the last few days after that storm system rolled through

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle