Monday, July 29, 2013

Antique Shops, Dream Houses, and More from Galveston Island

The Man and I just wrapped up a week on Galveston Island. We've been coming to the island for more than four decades; three of them as a couple. We know just about every crook and cranny here, so I thought I'd show you a few more of the sights from this trip.


One thing people may not be aware of is just how many antique and vintage stores are found in Galveston. From junk stores to high-end antiques, there's a shop for everyone. If you're in the market for anything "reclaimed," chances are the Antique Warehouse in Galveston has it. I've never, ever seen a place with as much inventory as this place.

If you can handle the musty smell that greets you at the door, and follows you everywhere, and the fact that a few fans scattered around inside are the extent of the place's cooling system, there's a lot to see. 

Aisle after aisle after aisle of stuff awaits. From front doors, to back doors, to screen doors. From old windows, old heaters, old chairs, old headboards, old bricks, old shutters, old wrought-iron pieces, old bathtubs, old instruments, and old nautical equipment, this place really does have it all.

Some of the stuff appears to be just a pile of junk, and most of it would take great effort to dig through, but it's interesting to see what all is in this two-story building, formerly a hotel.




If you're looking for old chairs, I would guess they have hundreds.


This is only part of the aisle that is nothing but old windows. Heavy, old windows, I might add.

Every kind of light fixture you can name.




***


Galveston doesn't offer the amazing waters that we love so much along the Emerald Coast, but it's close to home, has fabulous food joints, and a great RV campground for Cloud Nine. This was my view from the kitchen window. Not half bad, I'd say.

If you know where to look, Galveston has some fabulous homes. I have a few "favorites" but my ultimate favorite house is located on Broadway and is part of Galveston Homes Tour. 

I dream about living in this house one day, although I dare say that dream is not based in a shred of reality. 

This house is called the Powhatan and Mattie Wren House and has quite a history. It was built in 1873 and enlarged, remodeled, and updated with Victorian details in 1885. It survived the terrible 1900 hurricane that claimed around 8,000 lives in Galveston, and destroyed much of the city.



I've heard it's as amazing on the inside, as the outside. 


The gardens are enough to make me giddy. 



I wish I could've gotten a closer view, but I didn't want to make a spectacle of myself.

***


Although we've been riding the Bolivar Ferry for decades, it remains something we enjoy doing. The ride across to Bolivar Peninsula is 2.7 miles and takes about 18 minutes. The ferry service consists of five boats, operates 24 hours a day, and is a free service.


I snapped this picture of a passing ferry as we rode across one evening. 

There are many more photos, but it is late as I write, and there are things that must be done before we head home again. 

Until next time, goodnight, Galveston Island. May the hurricane season pass you by this time around. Lord willing, we'll see you again soon.

***

Linking up with The Tablescaper for, Oh, the Places I've Been.



20 comments:

  1. What a great place to visit, Dayle. I love that big house, too. The gardens are just lovely in the photos so I can imagine they are spectacular in person combined with sounds and scents. Great post. Glad you had some time away- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great place to have within close proximity. The Great Dane and I bond, keep our marriage fresh and have lots of fun in architectural salvage places - love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to build my whole cottage with all those supplies from the antique warehouse!! Lovely neat houses and cottages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I would love to go to that antique store. I love this post. The pics are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always loved to drive down to Galveston when I lived in East Texas. It's a beautiful place and brings back memories. We camped right on the beach in tents one summer! Have fun! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well it certainly looks like a great place to visit. That store seems fabulous. Ya know, you wonder sometimes what in the world happens to stuff like this over the years...I guess if it's lucky, it winds up in a place like this. The house is wonderful too and I can see why you love it. Glad you enjoyed your time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos, Dayle. Sounds like a terrific getaway. Ohhhhh, that house! 1873? I'd LOVE a tour of it, wouldn't you? Well, you can show us more photos after you and the man move in! ha!

    Just loved the antique place. That'd be so much fun to pick through.

    Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been there so thanks for sharing! Would love to go visit the antique shop in person, so much to see and the house is beautiful. Sure wish we could see inside!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE that junk store. I'd go crazy in there. I want that S&H green stamp sign!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...that is alot of 'stuff'...thanks for the tour...we are thinking of a Texas trip this winter... hopefully we hit Galveston!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was fun to take this little tour of Galveston with you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think i would enjoy visiting that antique store spending hours there and wishing i could bring home many items!

    And what a gorgeous home! Galveston seems a very special place to visit!

    Our plans are to take a ferry ride today. Grandchildren are visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That Wren house would be fun to see inside. The garden is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never been to Galveston Island before. Looks like there is some great shopping there! That is something I missed out on while on my vacation last week. It was very touristy instead. The homes in Galveston are quite beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd go absolutely crazy in that antique warehouse. My kind of place, I just love digging for buried treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Galveston Island. I grew up just an hour away from there, and it has so many happy memories for me. I also fantasize about owning a cute little (already restored) Victorian on Broadway. It's been a few years since I've been there, so thanks for the walk down memory lane. I've never heard of that antique warehouse and will make a point of going there some day along with plenty of empty space in my van to haul stuff home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cool place to hunt out treasures. Gorgeous homes and amazing sunsets.

    Great to have you at Oh the PLACES I've been!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those homes are beautiful and it looks like there were a lot of treasures in that antique store! I have one of the windows from my grandparent's old house (yes, heavy) on my mantle with a beautiful wreath hanging on it. I placed a warm light behind it. Love it!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is nothing more fun to me than getting lost in a huge warehouse filled with antiques and other people's junk. I consider that heaven. Thank you for sharing this glimpse of your trip, I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You See Current Affairs in Google, Yahoo or Bing..??? Here is a Best Network of Latest all Hot Current Affairs and News updates. All Hot Current Affairs about Entertainment, Classifieds, Mp3, Funny, Wallpapers, Pictures, Videos, Online Jobs, Online Marketing, Hot News, Hot Updates, Article and Latest News, Latest Mp3 Tunes, Internet Online Jobs, Facebook and Marketing Jobs, Online Marketing, Facebook Marketing, SEO Marketing, Latest Funny Entertainment Hot and Lol pictures and Much More Current Affairs Fun
    hotcurrentaffairs.com

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle