Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Scenes From A Blessed Life ~ Late-summer happenings

These days of summer are flying by. Here's a closer look at the last few weeks.

I don't remember when, but one evening this month, twin sister shared her orange cake with me. This cake is a taste of my childhood. Mother used to make an orange cake, with a creamy white frosting. I remember how she put the ingredients together in a white mixing bowl and beat until the icing was shiny and perfect. 

***

If things are moving along at a normal pace, I see sugar plum weekly. There are weeks that, for one reason or another, get missed, but not many. I can't go long without the pleasure of her company. That baby girl is growing like a weed.

This was a day I will look back on in months to come and sigh. So much sweetness in one place. At times, it feels as if my heart will burst. Sugar plum loves watching Uncatan (yes, she finally got another syllable in there) mow the lawn. On this day, he helped her get her gardening gloves on so she could help him pick up pine cones. Later in the day, she did what she loves to do ... help me make mac-n-cheese. Tell me she'll stay this little awhile longer.

***

Last Thursday evening, The Man and I celebrated our 33rd anniversary at Morton's. The atmosphere here is ideal for a date night, and the food is simply divine. 

Dining at Morton's is always a first-class experience. When you arrive, they ask if you're celebrating a special event. If so, they want details. Then, they stamp a menu with a congratulatory note, along with the date. It makes for a lovely memento for the scrapbook.



At some point in the evening, your server takes a photo of you with your special someone ... 


... then delivers it to you printed out in a folder, along with a personal note.

***


It was an unusual anniversary for us. We had an overnight guest. Pie (my other grandniece) was the guest-of-honor, due to her mom being diagnosed with strep-throat and a double ear infection on Thursday. Ugh! Doctors recommended she not be in contact with her baby for 36 hours, so I happily took the first shift. 

And what a joy it was! Pie slept like a champ and woke up with the biggest happy face you ever saw. Love her!

***

On the weekend, The Man and I drove over to be with my wonderful mom and dad. They are both doing well, and time together grows more precious with each passing day.



In other news, scrapbooking is inching right along. I'm still a year behind, but, hey, I was a year-and-a-half behind when I started, so I guess that's good news. Ha!

Well, that about wraps it up from the retirement home. Summertime is winding down, the kids headed back to school, the days growing shorter. You wouldn't know it by the temperatures in and around my woods, but the calendar says the Autumnal Equinox will be here in 38 days. It will take awhile for the cooler weather to find us here in the South, but just as summer follows spring, fall will arrive, my favorite time of year, that blessed respite from the sultry days of summer.

Until next time, beautiful kindred spirits, may your days be filled with sweet moments, and enough memories to last a lifetime.

***


16 comments:

  1. As always, you make the simple, everyday stuff of life seem so interesting.

    Have a blessed day :)
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning, Dayle! Happy Anniversary!!!

    And bless you for helping out with your granddaughter. Sounds like that strep throat was pretty awful.

    I went to Morton's once. The food is AMAZING, and everything is ala carte, right? I'm sure you had a great time.

    Happy Wednesday!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning! Enjoyed this as always. Happy anniversary! We did dinner once or twice at Mortons. The food is amazing! The babies are soo darling...love your names for them, and I am thinking that their auntie is a pretty special lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had orange cake. It looks and sounds divine. What a special place to celebrate your anniversary! I'm so sorry your niece was sick. That's an awful thing to have to do, leave your baby for that long, but I'm sure she knew Pie was in great hands with her great-aunt Dayle. I know you're enjoying the time with your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the anniversary! My hubs has wanted to go to Morton's for the longest time. Sounds like a nice place indeed ...didn't know those details.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you are having a wonderful summer! The babies are just precious. My husband and I will celebrate our 26th anniversary tomorrow. I wish we had a Morton's close by, that would be so special. Thank you for your continued kind words on my blog. It is an encouragement to me. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary! Such a special place to celebrate. Those little girls in your life are super adorable. I can tell they love every moment with you and your husband :) Nice to hear your parents are doing well too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a sweet post, Dayle. Sweet Pea is, indeed, a little treasure. So happy your Mom and Dad are doing well. You and your hubs are a great couple. Ahhhhhh, life can be SO GOOD, can't it? Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your anniversary! Gosh those babies are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read about the strep and ear infections and other developments in Audrey Land. Yet another blessing of cultivating a close family. No wonder Satan is so determined to destroy, them, huh?

    The anniversary dinner looks wonderful. What a nice place to go. We have nothing like that around here as far as I know.

    (And I hated the beards on D.D. at first too. I love a beard, just not a scraggly one. Somewhere along the line, the beard on ONE of them started to look appealing to me. Cr-azy, I know.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, but I love coming over here to glimpse those sweet baby girls!
    Happy (belated) anniversary ... you two look adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at Nonni's girl! She loves her Aunt Dayle already.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love little Miss Ainsley, too. Training her up to be a gardener!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've had a full summer! I would love to get some of my photos printed and into albums. Love the baby photos and those of you and hubby! What a beautiful family you have! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fall is my favorite time of the year, too. We had a taste of it last week but it is warming up again. The cake sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle