Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The State of the Business ~ In Case You Wondered

In April, I shared about my new retail venture—the opening of a booth at a local antique mall. Since then, I haven’t said much about it. No real good reason for that; just one of those things that never came up much in conversation.

Now that my lease is coming to an end, I have the opportunity to either renew, or not renew. After giving it much thought, I’ve decided not to renew. For those who might be interested, here are my thoughts on how it went, overall.

(Most of the things in this photo have been sold. Woo-Hoo! )

I absolutely loved having a booth and filling it with pieces that made me smile. I enjoyed the thrill of the hunt and, generally, had success in scoring items for a great price, then marking them up for reselling. A time or two I paid more than I should have for items, but those are the breaks.

There were some downsides. As you may or may not know, The Man and I travel a good bit, gone from home weeks at a time. This posed a bit of a problem, since I wasn’t in town to run by and tweak the booth once or twice a week (a must to keep it looking fresh; this mall is open 7 days a week, which means lots of people come through and rustle things up). Also, whenever I made a sale while on the road (especially a large item sale), I wasn’t able to go look for something to “fill the hole.”

The main question in all of this is: Did I make any money? And the answer is yes and no. Some months were great; I made a profit. Some months, not so great; I didn’t make enough to cover my rent. If you know anything about retail, you know it’s always a crap-shoot, and you cannot predict what will happen.

Would I do it again? Absolutely, yes, I would, but I would go for a smaller mall. This mall has 250 vendors, and that’s a lot for consumers to take in. I think a smaller mall would yield better results. I could, however, be wrong about that.

Overall, it’s been a blast. Until my lease is up, September 30th, I will be putting on some sales and, ideally, will be left with very little to move out. If that is not the case, though, I’m already looking forward to using some of the leftovers in my own home. Woot woot!

Until next time, dear friends, go follow your dreams!


***


20 comments:

  1. I have friends who just opened a vintage store. They will take things I find on consignment and they split the proceeds with me 50/50. No setting up, no paying rent, an excuse to find treasures that I don't have room for in my own home...win, win! Woot! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was one of the ones wondering. I have toyed with the idea myself and was hoping that you would give it two thumbs up. My biggest concern is actually losing money. Lately, I have felt like Schleprock from the Flintstones cartoon with a little black cloud over me. I just don't feel it's the right time for risk for me.

    Or maybe it is.
    I dunno. I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I know what you mean about losing money, and, sadly, there is risk in anything that involves sales. You'll know when the time is right to take the leap. I wish you all the best.

      Delete
  3. I have always wanted to open a booth at one of our local markets, but have a problem since I don't drive anymore. I should put that on my to do list of getting back my DL so I could open a little store. Thanks for giving us your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to live near you so I could browse your precious treasures, Dayle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have a booth in an antiques mall - actually just posted a story about it this morning! But you are right - it has it's ups and downs. I see some pretty things in your photo that I would love to have. Road trip? Hmmm. I've jumped in the car for a long trip for barbecue, why not a few antiques?

    Good luck with your closing sales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check out your post. One of the things I really enjoyed, during our travels the last six months, is shopping for my booth. I brought home some great stuff from assorted places.

      Delete
  6. I have thought about doing this, too, Dayle. After hearing you and a couple of the other gals that did it (that are also closing their booths) I think I will put that on the back burner of my thoughts. If I decide to do that I want to have the time to devote to it and we, too, will be traveling more as MyHero works less. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's loads of fun, but does require time. Traveling is more fun. :)

      Delete
  7. It's been a while since I've been to visit... but I'm glad I popped in to catch up a wee bit on your news.

    I enjoyed your 'retail' post, catching the ups and downs. Every experience adds something to the mosaic of life.

    Wishing you glimpses of heaven in unexpected places......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brenda! Great to see you here. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  8. Hi Dayle...Getting caught up on reading blog posts. So you are not going to renew----and for good reasons. I would love to try that venture some day, too. Maybe I will. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dayle! Well, it's always good to learn something, even if you have to say 'no' at the end. It's nice that you feel you would do it again, though. Keep those options open!

    Good to see you today :)
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dayle,
    I certainly understand the ups and downs to having a shop space. I currently have two locally and it's a lot of work to keep them up. Some months are great and some not so much. You just never know but it sure is fun finding treasures for them.
    Wished I lived closer to you so I could check out some on the items that you're selling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best on your spaces. If I didn't travel as much as I do, I'd probably renew my lease and just let it run a full year before making a change.

      Delete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle