Saturday, September 28, 2013

As the Seasons Change ~ Scenes from a Blessed Life


Early Tuesday morning, The Man and I drove over to spend the day with my parents. Each visit seems sweeter than the last, and it hasn’t escaped me that we are almost to the year mark of my father’s terrible fall from the roof last November. As we pulled into the driveway, the front door opened and out walked Daddy, waving his arms and smiling that big smile of his. Blessed beyond measure is what we are.


Along for the visit was our sweet pie. My niece had a job interview and asked if we’d like to take the baby with us, as she needed a sitter anyway, so I said, “For real? Of course, we’d like to take pie with us.” It's a long drive for a little one, but she made it fine and the great-grands were thrilled for this unexpected ray of sunshine in their day. There was much oohing and aahing and cooing in our midst.


On the drive home, I captured the sweetest blue eyes and the sweetest little face (not to mention those lips blowing bubbles). Have you ever? I love her so much.


Around the yard, the remains of my garden burst forth in shades of blue and purple. The shadows against the workshop have taken on that autumn slant, and the first of the trees have begun dropping leaves.


In the early morning, I enjoy stepping out and seeing them there, scattered across the ground. They are few, but they hold the promise of chilly mornings and nippy nights, of turtleneck sweaters, and pots of soup simmering on the stove.

Wednesday night was Bible study at church. Here are a few highlights: God knows all about my situation. God cares about my situation. God can change me and my situation. Luke 18:27: “What is humanly impossible is possible with God.” God’s love for us is not based on our behavior or performance, but on His unconditional love. Psalm 69:5: “My sins, O God, are not hidden from you; you know how foolish I have been.” God doesn’t stop loving us whenever we mess up. Psalm 103:13-14: “He is like a father to us, tender and sympathetic to those who reverence him. For he knows we are but dust.”



There are moments in a day that press upon your heart, leaving you wrung out and done in. Sugar plum came to see us Thursday. We all played long and hard, but the moment that will stay with me was when I handed her one of my daughter's little storybooks, The Lord Is My Shepherd, and she began “reading” it to her baby. Her opening sentence went like this: “Once upon a time, there was a family.” And just that quick, I felt tears spring up and spill over.


Her voice became soft right here. I couldn’t make out what she was saying, but after a few pages, she studied the picture closely and said, “And then they all sat down with their beautiful, beautiful friends.” 

I’m not sure why the tears came, but they did. I guess I’m just an old softy. Or, maybe it’s the innocence of children, the purity of their hearts. It is unlike anything you will ever see in this world, and it lasts for such a brief season. If you’re too busy to play with a child, you’re missing one of God’s greatest treasures. I’m grateful for the riches in a day, for the treasures in my life.

As I write, a chocolate cobbler is bubbling in the oven. The rich aroma has me fairly in a trance. In a few minutes, it will be ready and The Man and I, along with all who can join us, will gather at my niece’s house to celebrate big sis’s birthday, which is Monday. 


Big sis is my hero, my role model, and a beautiful example of what a Christian should be. She is mega talented and the most loving person you could hope to meet. I am blessed to call her sister.

One more bit of news, if you're still with me. All of the scrapbooking from 2012 is complete! I let out a big whoop when I slid in the final page and closed the book. Now, I don’t feel quite so intimidated about starting on 2013. I have set a goal to be current by the end of January. I know the holidays are around the corner, but, Lord willing, I will get ‘er done.


Until next time, sweet kindred spirits, a new season is upon us. May the winds of change find you invigorated, arms wide open.

***


16 comments:

  1. Good morning! Well guess I am an old softie too because I felt tears welling up when I read that starting sentence to her story too...soo sweet. And what a cute picture! And yep, the season change is finally starting here in California too and my arms are WIDE open. Enjoy your week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on the scrapbooking! I keep having panic attacks when I think of all the photos I haven't had printed. They live on my computer and a hard drive and it frightens me. I have to do that. Thanks for the motivation.

    Tears when you said your daddy stepped out on the porch to greet you when you drove up. So sweet.

    My oven broke yesterday. It broke the same time last year because I had all these fall recipes I was itching to bake and couldn't. Same thing this year. Oh dear.

    Sweet babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful and loving family you have. You are truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dayle,

    I always enjoy your posts about your family....I almost feel like I know them. Both of my parents are gone and I would just just about anything to spend time with them again. Thank you for sharing your family memories. Have a blessed weekend :)

    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this post brought tears to my eyes ~ joyful tears! You are so blessed to have these people in your life and to spend precious time with these little ones. They are adorable! Thanks for the scripture too ~ I needed that today.

    I've never had "Chocolate Cobbler" ~ wanna Fed Ex some to me? LOL Sounds delish!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo for the scrapbooking!
    I have spent much of the last week thousands of miles from home visiting my parents - I know that you know that leap of joy and thankfulness that my heart does when I see them. As for the sweet pleasure of playing with the children on our lives, you have put it all so well. While I was with my parents The Great Dane was with both our children and all our grandchildren in Alberta. I miss the fun but there are regular and frequent photos coming up on my phone. Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those sweet little ones are beautiful. How precious to listen in as she reads her book. Nice to see the pics of your parents and hear they are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved all the pictures. I think I should have been at your Bible study...Plum and Pie are precious and so are you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you are such a big part of your grand nieces lives.
    And your Dad, well, what can I say but, God is awesome! What a journey and role model for all of us!

    Had a good chuckle when you said, "get ‘er done. I could hear the Texan accent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Speaking of old softies. When I read the part about that sweet baby reading to "her baby" and tears springing to YOUR eyes---well, tears welled up in my eyes, too. You are so right about enjoying those moments of innocence because they pass so quickly. I am blessed to see the world through my grandchildren's eyes. It is a marvel.
    Glad your Mom and Dad are doing well. It must have been a real thrill for them to have that baby there. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorite days are days spent with our grandchildren, so the photos and your words about your visiting granddaughter brought tears to my eyes. They are the best part of getting older!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww, you're not the only one with tears in her eyes at Plum's reading. Without even realizing it, she's touched so many hearts!
    What a neat surprise for your daddy and mother, getting to see Miss Audrey again. Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely, sweet post. You are indeed blessed. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a year it has been for your family with a sweet ending that was so unsettled along the way.

    A perfect introduction to autumn - - "May the winds of change find you invigorated, arms wide open."

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle