Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Homemade Chicken-and-Dumplings ~ Easy Peasy

For this Southern girl, there’s just something about a big bowl of chicken-and-dumplings that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. It is the ultimate comfort food.

If the idea of making chicken-and-dumplings from scratch makes you a little uneasy, take heart. There is nothing to fear. It took me a little while to perfect my method, but it is fool-proof and delicious every single time. Nothing could be easier.

Great chicken-and-dumplings start with a great chicken stock. The recipe I’m sharing is for a big pot of dumplings, but you will want to adjust your measurements according to the amount of servings you need.

Here’s how I do it.

In a large pot of water, place:

1 whole fryer, cut up (pieces don’t have to be precise, as the bones will be removed.)
1 large onion (rough chopped)
4 celery stalks (rough chopped, including leafy part)
3 carrot sticks (not shown in pic because I was out and the stock tasted just fine without them)

Season lightly with salt and pepper.

Taste the stock. It should taste slightly under-seasoned, as the dumpling dough (made with self-rising flour) will add salt to the broth. I highly recommend always tasting your stock. If it’s leaning too salty, add more water.


Bring to boil, then turn heat to low-med, simmering for an hour or so. Keep in mind that your stock will reduce considerably, so don’t skimp on the water.

After stock has cooked for an hour, use a wire skimmer (or something similar) to remove chicken and place into a large bowl for cooling. Remove vegetables and discard, although The Man likes me to save some to mix with his dumplings. (To each his own.)

Turn stock to lowest heat setting, until ready to drop dumplings. 

To make dumplings, clear off counter area for rolling dough. Flour counter-top liberally.


In a large bowl, add:

2 cups self-rising flour (plus more for dusting)
1 cup of milk


Stir together with plastic/wooden spoon until just mixed and dough breaks away from bowl. (Dough will still feel wet, but should roll easily out of bowl.)

With dough on counter-top, liberally flour top and sides of dough ball and begin kneading with hands, just until able to handle without sticking.

I cut my dough in half, since I don’t have large counter-top.

Roll out dough until it is as thin as it will go without breaking. The dumplings will puff up in the stock.

Using a pizza cutter (a knife will work, but I prefer pizza cutter), cut dough into roughly 1” squares. I don’t try to be precise, as I like the rustic look of different sizes.

Bring chicken stock up to a slight simmer, just enough to see the water moving. (See how much stock is reduced?)

Gather a handful of dumplings and drop into stock, stirring gently after each handful is dropped.

Continue until all dough is used.
See how puffed up they are?

While dumplings are cooking, remove bones from the chicken and leave pieces in bite-sizes. 

After dumplings have simmered for 40-45 minutes, drop chicken into pot and stir gently until warmed through.


Bon appétit!


***

Joining Kim for Wow us Wednesdays.


22 comments:

  1. Hi Dayle! Wow, this is perfect! I am having my Dad over for dinner on Friday night. Maybe this is just the thing to have? He can't tolerate really spicy food, so I'm thinking I have found dinner.

    Love the photos. I seem to learn better with pictures. (Still in kindergarten, I guess!)
    Have a blessed day!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm from the North. Northwest to be precise.
    I have never had Chicken and Dumplings!I
    But you have shown me that it's easy to make and looks delicious.
    OK, I'm going to try this.

    I just love blogging! My world has opened up so much larger!


    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmm! I can almost smell your dinner thru the screen! Your dumplings are much more pasta like than mine...and I think my people would prefer that! I will have to give your recipe a try!
    Thanks for posting the great pictures! to accompany you recipe! Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Dayle, that looks LUSH. Even this Northern girl'd like to make a big pot of chicken and dumplings, southern-style! Thanks for sharing. Gonna copy that one! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I just love comfort foods of all sorts....love food PERIOD! These look amazing..and so easy! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Homemade Chicken-and-Dumplings couldn't possibly be Easy Peasy . . . or could it??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh, now my taste buds are running amok! I don't cook, but this seems fool-proof. :)
    When (and if?) our temps drop a bit, I'm going to give this a try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mouth is watering-no matter that it is headed towards midnight here. That sounds absolutely delicious. I always think it is funny the different areas of the country and how they serve dumplings. Here in Wisconsin they are made much like your own recipe. Where I grew up in PA the dumplings were a very light biscuit added just at the end of cook time and they floated on top of the broth. I like both kinds but hubby likes the ones like you made here. . I have never made them with self-rising flour though- That saves a bit of work. I'll try that next time- YUM...xoDiana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummm! These are the southern style dumplings, ours are more like soggy biscuits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to do this! I love chicken and dumplings so much and have never made them myself (surprise surprise). I wish I had a fabulous soup pot like yours. If mine don't come out well, I'm planning to blame my soup pot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that looks amazing! Just perfect for chilly fall evenings. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've made me hungry for chicken and dumplings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my that looks good..I'd like to think it would be easy peasy for me, but not sure. I will let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now this is a heart warming delicious pot of yumminess! The dumplings are just so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum!!! Sounds perfect for the cooler fall weather. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  16. Her dumplings are fabulous. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. omg this sounds delicious and you make it sound so easy to make. Love Gayle's comment.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. now i'm craving chicken and dumplings! my grandparents are from kentucky so we grew up on this stuff!! :)) copying down the recipe and gonna give it a try - it sounds perfect for a cool fall evening and up north, we're getting plenty of those now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. p.s. on Friday

    Well Dayle, I bought the chicken at the supermarket. Good start. Going to print out your recipe and give it the old college try! Thanks! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Dayle! Just wanted you to know that I made your recipe for my Dad and his friend last night. I think I must have missed something on the dumplings, they were more like pasta that a puffed dumpling. But it went over very well! It makes so much, we sent some home with him too!

    This was my first attempt at making chicken and dumplings, so thanks for the idea.
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ceil. It may take a time or two to get the dumpling to your liking. Maybe roll out the dough thicker next time, and make sure you use self-rising flour. Glad it went over. We don't eat them often, but enjoy them as an occasional comfort food treat.

      Delete
  21. I'm starving!! My mother used to make excellent chicken and dumplings. She made the dough very thin too. I can't go those blobs of dough ~ :( Thanks for the photos!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle