Friday, September 13, 2013

Show Mercy ~ Receive Mercy

If you want to find a perfect example of anything, I’m not it. At one time or another, I’ve failed miserably in every area of my life, in every relationship, and in serving God. It's not something I'm proud of. One of my favorite Psalms, and I quote it often, says: “Have mercy upon me, O Lord, for I am weak.”

Yep, that is how I’ve felt so often. Weak. A failure. In desperate need of mercy.

It's somewhat comforting to know I'm not alone. Sooner or later, we all need mercy. It might be the mercy of a betrayed spouse, a wounded friend, a crushed child, a disappointed parent, an angry employer. If we live long enough, we will all need mercy.

I love the Scripture regarding mercy from the Book of Lamentations. It goes like this: “It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.”

Pardon me, but I never read that passage without having to pause for my goosebumps to settle down.

Receiving mercy, whether it be God’s mercy, or the mercy of others, is a blessed thing, but it’s easy to forget that not only is it a blessed thing to receive mercy, but to extend mercy. People will fail you. Even those you thought wouldn't, will. But when we give mercy to others, it is mercy that we receive in return. “Blessed are the merciful,” Jesus said, “for they shall obtain mercy.” 

Mercy is a beautiful thing, a necessary thread in the fabric of relationships. I'm grateful for all of the mercy shown to me, and it's a good habit to nurture, showing mercy to others.


Linking up with Lisa-Jo for Five-Minute Friday, where the word today is: Mercy
Joining The Weekend Brew, as well.





15 comments:

  1. i love your perspective. God gives us new mercy every morning...and if we all follow the same drumbeat, we give back love and mercy to everyone else. There will be no place for hatred and judgment and anger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a GREAT post! Mercy...where would any of us be without it? We can blow it everyday (and we do!) and yet His Mercy is new every morning! Praise God! Your right though, we do well to remember that we too need to extend that mercy to others. I join you in gratitude for His everlasting, undeserving mercies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree Debbie...I feel like I use up my allotment everyday and then some...I'm so thankful we get a new batch every day!

    Thank you, Dayle for posting such truth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, Dayle.

    Your wisdom-filled post came just in time.

    There's definitely a situation in my own life where I need to show mercy.

    (Otherwise, somebody's gonna get their ---- kicked. ha ha)

    You are so right on. We all need mercy and need to show mercy. Amen. Hugs. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dayle- This is a really great post. I have been talking to my grandgirls about mercy- about how it works even at their ages in their relationships with other kids. I love Psalm 57-part of the first verse is: Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge.

    I am working right now on trying to feel mercy for someone that has brought a lot of harm to a lot of people. I needed your post today! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need His mercy every day, in every moment. Beautiful post my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Dayle
    I know that goosebumps feeling!!! This morning I realized that as our hearts are filled to the overflow with God's mercy, it just flows as natural as breathing unto others. No striving in God's economy! Nice to meet you!
    Blessings XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Thank you for reminding us of God's mercy, and how blessed we are to know him!
    We are your newest followers,love your blog!

    xox Glad & Celia

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was beautiful! I am so thankful for God's mercy. The verse in Lamentations is a favorite.

    May I be gracious and merciful to others.

    Have a lovely weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful post Dayle. I so appreciate the way you open up and share yourself in your posts. And I relate to your sentiments here, in fact these are some of the words that inspire my own spiritual life and my view of God. Merciful, compassionate, and overflowing with love. I share your feelings about shining our mercy on those around us because I too, am aware of all my flaws. I don't know much but I know the power of Love.
    have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did it again! Your timing couldn't be more perfect for me to read this post!
    Oh, how I thank you for reminding me, that it's OK not to be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully shared, thank you.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a good reminder. I just quoted, Do unto others...today when my hubby and I were talking about a situation. We need to always treat others as we ourselves want to be treated....regardless as to how they treat us. It's not easy....we need God's help. Sweet hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Dayle! So happy to catch up with your FMF entry. It is such a great thing to know that mercy starts all over every day. No wonder it gives you goosebumps! No matter what I do, he is there with his outstretched hand.

    And if I will give mercy, he's right there too to fill me. Beautiful!
    Happy Monday!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle