Saturday, October 12, 2013

Memo from God ~ He Knows My Address

Have you ever read something and felt as if you were reading a memo from God, written just for you? I will share more about that in a bit, but I must offer a little back-story first.

Before we left home, there was a personal situation that concerned me greatly. Nothing terribly urgent, just troubling to my spirit. And no matter how I tried, no matter how far from home we traveled, like a rock in my shoe, the matter was ever before me, an ache upon my heart. I prayed about it, and should have left it right there, at the altar in God’s faithful hands. Instead, I fretted about it, night and day.

Then, a few days into our travels, we received some unsettling news from home, about another matter altogether, a weighty matter, and one that left us feeling helpless and anxious. Again, I prayed, and should have left it right there. Instead, I have been fretting about it, nonstop.

Both of these situations require answers that are beyond my control. There is absolutely nothing I can do to resolve either one of them. And no amount of fretting will make an ounce of difference.

And that brings me to the message that came on Thursday morning when I picked up my devotional and turned to the day’s reading. I’ve read this devotional through every year since 1999, when my beautiful sister Elaine gave it to me for Christmas. Amazingly enough, I find something fresh every year.

What I read on Thursday was this: “Fret not” (Psalm 37:1).

Well, alrighty then. God had my address, and my undivided attention. The passage that followed, written by Margaret Bottome, went on to expand on this particular verse of Scripture. Here’s what she wrote:

“This to me is a divine command; the same as ‘Thou shalt not steal.’ To fret is to be in a state of vexation, and in this psalm we are not only told not to fret because of evildoers, but to fret not ‘in anywise.’ It is injurious, and God does not want us to hurt ourselves.” (I had a good laugh right there. Love that line of thinking.) “A physician will tell you that a fit of anger is more injurious to the system than a fever, and a fretful disposition is not conducive to a healthy body; and you know rules are apt to work both ways, and the next step down from fretting is crossness, and that amounts to anger. Let us settle this matter, and be obedient to the command, ‘Fret not.’”

As you can see, that was certainly a timely message for me. I’m thankful for it, and can truthfully say I have let go of both situations, entrusting them into the hands of a mighty God.

Fret not. Two little words that require great effort to pull off, but I’m giving it my best shot. Won’t you join me?


I'm linking up with: 




22 comments:

  1. This is a good word! I was so encouraged by your post. I am stopping by from MissionalWomen.com today. We were blessed to link up after you over at Spiritual Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I will join you on this. Sometimes a posting from a blogger friend is timely as well. :-) God works in mysterious ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get the memo from God :-) Every since I reconnected with (in)courage and joined the group? God has been leaving post a notes all over my heart! :-) I will be at the fridge, getting a cool drink, thinking about something. Then when I get on the computer or go to my devotional? There it is... someone has blogged or talked or wrote about the very thing on my mind. I LOVE IT! It is so neat to get to know you and I will return. Don't fret pet!
    Love,
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess God's trying to tell you, "I've got this covered, Dayle." :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it ... great words and encouragement. "fret not"...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminds me of the time there was a family issue I was so upset about, and I felt the Lord told me to "sit down and be quiet" and let Him work it out...and he did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I've got this!" Words from my Abby and always from God. :) We just have to let go.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this. Great reminder! Thanks. God Bless💜

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two little words that are so powerful when done! But oftentimes so hard to do. Thanks for this reminder. Taking heed to this is true freedom and peace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, friend...I have done this so many times right along with you. Telling me to fret not is like telling me not to breathe. I am so very thankful that I am learning and have come a ways, but it is still one of the hardest things for me NOT to do I am so glad to just know that I am learning how...one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For most of us I have a feeling this is a particularly hard command to obey. I find myself MANY times fretting over something without really realizing I was doing so! I LOVE that He knows this about all of us as well and is merciful and graceful about it. Always waiting patiently for us to simply hand the problem over. He ONLY wants to bless us! Everything else comes from the enemy. If only we could remember that.

    Soo glad you put that message on your sister's blog as I was having a problem adding you to my sidebar.....all fixed now! enjoy the rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really needed to read this post today. Like you, something has been weighing on my heart and for some reason I just can't turn it over to God. His Will be done and I'll just have to be patient! Thanks for the great post, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Growing up my grandmother always told me worry will not add a day to your life. She was a wise woman. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. After the weekend I've had, this is just what I needed to calm me. It's especially good that I waited this late to read your blog. I think I'll have an easier time going to sleep now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great words of encouragement. I am a fretter, and am learning to take everything to God and leave it all with him.

    Thank you for this post and may all things work out in your two situations.

    Love ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will. (Debbie raises hands and volunteers to join you.) God is strongly working on me to finally get that clue right now, in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My first visit here - and so glad I came by! I love the thought that "God knows my address" - and that He gives us insight and encouragement from His Word, perfectly suited for us in our times of need. This is so true - thanks for your post that gave such a good example of this. (Visiting from Hear It on Sunday, Use It on Monday).

    ReplyDelete
  18. A very good reminder, and one that we should remember when we are in the thick of worry.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Corrie Ten Boom
    "Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength"

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Dayle! Lovely to catch up with you and Happy belated birthday - looks like you had a marvelous day! And - this "fret not" business - well - seems everyone I am speaking to recently are battling fear and frustration. I know I am - in a painful way. Thanks for sharing this devotional with us - I shall tuck it next to all the devotions I have been meditating upon of late saying pretty much the same thing. God is good and doesn't mind repeating Himself when it comes to our anxious hearts about things beyond our control - or things that have wounded us. Fret not and move forward - Yea and Amen. Joy to you, milady!!!
    Blessings,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved this post, Dayle. I've been doing some fretting of my own around a couple of issues. It was so good to be reminded not to fret and to leave things at the altar of the Lord, instead. Thanks. Susan

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle