Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Postcards from the Road ~ My Birthday in Gatlinburg

Yesterday was my and my twin sister's birthday. It was the first time in 10 years that we weren't together as we celebrated another year of living. I missed her a whole lot, but The Man showed me a great time, as he always does on special occasions.

We decided to spend the day in Gatlinburg, starting with lunch at a patio cafe. 

From there, we walked to the aerial tram station that takes you to Ober Gatlinburg and hopped aboard for the 10 minute ride up the side of a mountain. At the top are amusement park rides for the kiddos, places to eat, shop, ice-skate (no, we didn't attempt that, afraid we might end up with a cast on something), and there is also a mini-zoo, and a chair-lift that takes you even further up the mountain. Starting each November, they make their own snow and have sledding, tubing, and skiing. A great family destination. You can also drive up, if you prefer.



Our interest was just the experience and the views. 

They take your picture before you board the tram and I bought this one for the scrapbook (as if I need another one.)


Back in the city, we took in a little shopping, then stopped in for some desserts. I went for the macadamia nut banana pudding. I'd never tried a banana pudding with nuts, but it was spectacular! And spectacularly large!

The Man had this triple fudge chocolate cake. We took turns eating a bite of each offering and it's safe to say we left on a real sugar high. Have mercy!


Part of the pleasure of an autumn road trip is getting to see all of the pumpkin decorations along the way. Everywhere you look in this part of Tennessee, it's a feast for the eyes.

On the way back to Pigeon Forge, we missed the vista point I wanted to stop by and capture a photo. It's a magnificent view, so we plan to go back another day before we leave this area. 

For those wondering, it appeared that the Great Smoky Mountain National Park was open for business, but I can't say for sure. I just know the Welcome Center was booming, and we saw no closed roads, or signs indicating such. Again, I don't know if all of the park is open, but it appeared parts of it may well be. Traffic was heavy.

I chose to end my birthday sitting around a campfire, inhaling the autumn air and the deliciousness of burning wood. It is in the simple things that I find rest and peace.

My heart is full as I consider all of God's countless blessings to me.  No matter what tomorrow holds, I can't complain.

Until next time, dear friends, may blessings surround you.


***


11 comments:

  1. Oh what a sweet birthday celebration! I LOVE the state of TN (our youngest son lives near Nashville) and the Great Smokies! The photos of the view are g-or-geous! Nothing like fall in the mountains and a campfire to boot!
    Although I know you missed your sis, it looks like it was a birthday to be remembered. Oh...and about that banana pudding with the nuts, my mom always put Spanish peanuts in hers...my dad liked it that way :)
    Looking forward to your next "postcard".

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh... yes...The Smokies and Gatlinburg!!!! "Fabulous"!!!! What an amazing birthday for you!!!!! Blessings, Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday sweet friend! What a great way to celebrate! And what a clear day with spectacular views. We hope to be up in the mountains of NC soon and hope there's some pretty Fall color there. Enjoy your week! Have FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a perfect day. I would've been there if I could have. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dayle! Love that hat you have :) Sounds like you had an amazing birthday. I have always wanted to visit that area, and these photos just fuel that. I don't know about banana pudding, but I might go to the mat with your husband over the chocolate!

    Happy Birthday, and I pray you'll have a spectacular year!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday, Dayle! Thanks a bunch for stopping by & leaving a comment!

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have enjoyed yesterday had I been there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday, Dayle. You spent it at one of my favorite places. It is beautiful any time of the year. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday,sweet friend.
    Smiles, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW WOW WOW WOW WOWWWWWW, Dayle. Your birthday sounded totally delightful, despite not sharing it with your sweet sister.

    Those desserts? YUMMIFIED!

    Your hubs is the best.

    Your photos were splendid. Loved every one of them. Hugs to you, sapphire girl! And MANY returns of the special day. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Dayle!
    I am loving looking through your delightful posts! I'm glad you found me, and I, too, will be back! We also love the Smokies and especially at this time of year :)
    And Happy Birthday to you, new friend!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle