Thursday, October 10, 2013

Postcards from the Road ~ Pigeon Forge

The retirees settled into a lovely spot at the KOA in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee on Monday. The weather has been nothing short of spectacular. 

We've been staying at this campground since we owned a little pop-up camper in 1994. Even though it's nestled into a busy area, the park is peaceful and filled with an array of trees. 

It's secluded, yet so close to restaurants that we can walk. The Old Mill Restaurant has long been a favorite destination. If you're ever here, you must go. Their dinner prices include appetizers and desserts, and you will love the corn chowder and corn fritters.

This is how we looked at the Pigeon Forge KOA in the summer of 1994. Our sweet daughter turned eight while we were on vacation that year, and look at our adorable Princess, if you just will. 

The memories made from our assorted camping vacations remain some of the most precious. Even if you only spend time in a tent in your backyard, making 'smores over a gas grill, your children will never forget such things.

Yesterday, we spent a couple hours at Dollywood. Everywhere you looked there was autumn goodness. No doubt, lots of hard work goes into making this a wonderful vacation destination. 

We bought season passes, as they were a much better bargain than doing a one-day pass, or even a three-day pass. October is the month when Dollywood features Southern Gospel groups in concert, and we plan to return many times before we head out of here. We're both musical, come from musical families, and Gospel, of any kind, is our favorite. We heard one group yesterday and it was refreshing, to say the least.


This is how we looked at Dollywood in the summer of 1994. I'm afraid that is a fanny-pack around my waist. Lawdy mercy. I see my child is following my lead. (They were so handy, I may have to buy another one.)

Lord willing, we plan to be here for a couple weeks, maybe longer. We also hope to spend a little time in Chattanooga (another place of memories) before returning home. 

The Man and I never take this privilege that we have for granted. We were talking this week, after hearing some unsettling news from home, that we never know what another day will bring. In the end, all that matters are God and people and we should hold tightly to both. Everything else is temporary.

Until next time, dear friends (all of you who have managed to find me again), may your days be filled with cool breezes and your nights just enough chill to snuggle.

***


26 comments:

  1. Hi Dayle! It sure does look beautiful there...and camping too! I am thinking there must be some heat in there, I'm sure the nights get cold? Love that tree of mums :)

    I have a fanny pack that I still use on trips. I'm too old to care about fashion, I just find a purse too burdensome. I'm sure everyone is aghast!

    I'll be praying for you and your needs. I hope all goes well, and that your mind comes to ease.
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceil, the days are perfectly warmed here, yes. Thanks for your prayers.

      Delete
  2. Looks lovely. My sister was supposed to leave for Gatlinburg on Saturday and has cancelled her trip due to the parks and trails being closed. Its an annual hiking trip for them and they are so disappointed. It will be interesting to hear from you if its less crowded than usual. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, we plan to head toward the National Park area next week, staying stationed here at the KOA. I'm hoping to post about that experience. We have sad, sad Internet service right now, and it's hard for me to get online, other than my phone. No fun.

      Delete
  3. I found you!! Wondered why I was not getting your posts via email. I just tried to sign up again and received the response that I was already subscribed. Oh well, when the kinks are worked out, let me know! :)

    So glad you're having a great time...beautiful area! I hope the situation at home resolves in a positive way. You are so right...God and family...that's really all that matters.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! So glad you found me. Blogger is having issues with gadgets not updating, so that's a problem out of y control. Hopefully, things will work out, in time.

      Delete
  4. Dayle, As a child we camped numerous times in Pigeon Forge and I remember how much fun it was. Sounds like you are having a great time.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that skort that you were sporting in the summer of 1994.

    You are right about the sidebar issue. Every time I try to add you back it automatically defaults to the old url. Puzzling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah ... that skort was something else!

      The problem you're having adding my updated address to your reader/sidebar is a BLOGGER issue. It's effecting everyone, is my understanding. Hope it gets resolved soon. Ongoing now for several weeks.

      Delete
  6. Love ... love ... the Smokies... We have been going there for over 25 years sometimes summer and sometimes fall... BUT MOSTLY FALL!!! I am sighing as I look at the pics!!! Hopefully... we shall be there in about another week!!!! My son & DIL are actually in Gatlinburg and are there until Tues!! and ... LOL..... one of our VERY FAVORITE places to eat.... "The Old Mill" !!! Delish!!! Hope you guys take advantage of the Apple Barn as well!!!! Sooooo funny... I am just picturing exactly where you are!!! That place is very very relaxing!!!! Blessings to you both!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, maybe we'll run into each other at The Old Mill. Wouldn't that be something?

      Delete
    2. Just now seeing your reply... and yes that would be something!! I was just thinking that earlier this morning... as I am mentally preparing for our trip.... "It is really a small world" and maybe we will run into each other while in those beautiful mountains!!!! Hope you are having a blessed ... peace-filled.... relaxing... "Fretful free" morning !!!! :) ( thank you for sharing the WORD.. with us ) it really blessed!!!

      Delete
  7. What a fun time you must be having! I love camping, Pigeon Forge and the Smokies and went to Chatanooga for my honeymoon all those years ago! So sorry to hear about hearing bad news...it never comes at a good time but being away from home somehow make it more difficult. I was able to replace you on my sidebar which I thought was fixed but when I click on it, it says "blog has been removed"...at least I am still getting your posts...I'm sure you will get it worked out. Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your prayers and concern.

      Any updating of the URL issues is a BLOGGER issue. They've been working on it since late September. Hope it gets resolved soon. I think efficiency isn't one of their strong suits.

      Our Internet service here is lacking, to say the least. I only have access via my phone most of the time. It's been a headache.

      Delete
  8. I absolutely love that location and have fond memories of trips there with the girls. I love Dollywood! It's so wholesome and fun.

    I am troubled that something is wrong at home and hope your dad is OK. That's the first thing that came to mind. I do not need to know what to pray or how to pray to lift your extended family in prayer. That's what I'll do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dollywood is just that, so wholesome and family friendly. God bless Dolly Parton.

      No, it's not my father, Debbie, but thanks for your prayers and concern. I may can post more later. For now, just pray for "Dayle's concern." Thanks, friend.

      Delete
  9. Do you visit Cades Cove while there? And also: I have replaced the trusty fanny pack with a wonderful small sling purse. I am now addicted to them and can't stand to carry a real purse around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been to Cades Cove and may return. Still just rolling with the flow, no true plans.

      I'll have to check out the sling purse. I have a small shoulder camera bag that I take and it's working pretty well.

      Delete
  10. It took me a while, but I finally got here through your profile page from a comment on my blog. I'm adding you to my reader now!

    We may have been in Dollywood the same time as you guys in 1994. I'll have to dig up the photos. We love camping and campfires. Our favorite memories are made there. I still have a fanny pack. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be cool if we were both here in 1994? Would love to see your pics from then.

      You won't be able to add my new address to your reader until BLOGGER fixes a problem they're having with updating gadgets. Hopefully, soon.

      Delete
  11. We love traveling in that area and hope to be in our home in Asheville in a week or so to enjoy the Fall colors. The mountain air is so crisp and clean. I love your photos! I have your new addy in my list of favs on my sidebar! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous spot to be enjoying the autumn weather! I remember fanny packs, and they really were handy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your trips with us. Beautiful places! Reminds me of when I was little & camping days. Thanks for the memories! Love reading your blogs! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dayle, Greeting to you from Rocky Top Tennessee, so glad you are in enjoying your stay in our wonderful smokies !!! its beautiful hope you can stay until the peak tree season. ~~enjoy~~~ as I am sure you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved these photos. You guys haven't changed all that much, you know! So happy you are enjoying travels. How wonderful. Susan

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle