Friday, November 1, 2013

Grace ~ Open Hands Required

Sometimes in life, and out of the blue—bam!—you find yourself knocked down, surrounded by chaos and broken promises. That’s when you have to take a deep breath and realize you aren’t Superwoman. You can’t fix everything. You can’t change a person’s mind. You can’t make someone love you. You can’t please everybody. You can’t gather the jagged pieces and tie them all up with a pretty bow. 

You need grace, that boundless commodity flowing freely, unmerited and undeserved.

It sounds easy enough, but we’re human. We tend to worry and whine and, if you’re anything like me, you have a difficult time letting go of a situation. Even one that I know I can’t change, like a stubborn child, I often wrestle it to the ground, holding on with both hands.

I need grace. Grace covers what I cannot do. And I need empty hands in order to embrace it. Hands not holding on to anything else. Hands reaching out, open, accepting, surrendered.

Jesus said, "My grace is sufficient for you." Not was. Not will be. Is. Today, tomorrow, and every day, His grace is enough.



“My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:9).


This post is part of the 5-minute Friday series, where today's prompt is: Grace.




14 comments:

  1. I had the same thoughts as I was writing for this FMF prompt today. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not easy for women...we're a sensitive bunch. But I've been through such hard times in my life, that I've had to just ask God to carry it for me....it was too much for me. We need to do that more and more in our every day lives, too. Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sitting here typing through tear-filled eyes...serious family crisis, still unresolved at this hour. I haven't been online most of the day. It's late and i am getting ready to try to get some sleep, if it will come. I open up my laptop to try to catch up on what I missed today...only as a diversion. There is your post, Dayle, which God has used to speak directly to my hurting heart...not by mere coincidence. Thank you...and thank you, Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, just said a prayer for you and your family. May the Lord be especially close to you, and may He bring you peace.

      Bless you.

      Delete
    2. Dear Debby, I am praying for you. I know the feeling of facing a family crisis, and feeling so helpless through it all. God will give you strength in your weakness. His grace is sufficient.

      Delete
  4. So uplifting, so encouraging - just the words that I needed hear tonight. God's grace overflows, and His mercies are new each morning. How incredibly loved we are!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to remind myself of this quite often. Unmerited favor. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am such a control freak. I know that God is enough but I still struggle. He has so much grace when I just let go. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle