Monday, November 11, 2013

To love people ... or not ~ Monday Musings

To love people, and be loved by them, is a hazardous situation, because sooner or later you hurt them and they hurt you—whether a little or a lot. We're human. We say things. We do things. We have good intentions that somehow get misplaced. That’s just how life goes. It’s been that way since the dawn of time.


Some hurts are easily forgiven and forgotten. 
Minor infractions.



But others pierce so deep, not even time can reach them. 

No matter how many years may pass, 
just the mention of a name, 
or a date on a calendar, 
can make something old and unspoken ache inside.


But to shy away from loving people is not an option for me. I've found the rewards far outweigh the risks. And I agree with Washington Irving when he wrote: 


“Love is never lost. 
If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart.”


Don’t be afraid to reach out to people. Open your heart and love them. Yes, it is risky business, and there may come a time when you are hurt, or a time when those you love choose to walk away. But remember that life is made up of seasons—some full, some empty—and every experience brings with it lessons that we take with us into the future. My belief is that you will always be the richer for having loved people.


By this everyone will know that you are my disciple, if you love one another

(Words of Jesus in John 13:35)




***
Linking up with:

Inspire Me Monday Community

20 comments:

  1. Inspiring words. No matter the risks, I choose love, too. And I love you, twin sister of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. Sometimes those people who are so hard to love are our own family members...living right under our own roof. Sometimes they can even look just like our own child. Sometimes one of them might even be me at times. Been there, done all that, have several T-shirts. I still choose love...as the Good Book says, it covers a multitude of sins. Thanks this thought-provoking post, Dayle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Debby. Those we love can often be the most difficult ones to love. It isn't necessarily their fault, but it can make it hard to love them. Sometimes we have to love from a distance. Loving someone doesn't mean taking abuse from them, that's for sure.

      Delete
  3. We are called to love others indeed - and yet, in our imperfect state, we cannot do this on our own. May the Lord infuse us with HIS love, so that we can reach out to others - forgiving them when they hurt us, risking vulnerability, and embracing honesty.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Sharon. We have to be "infused" with His love, in order to love others.

      Delete
  4. Wouldn't you know it. I took some time to venture here this morning, and I came upon this post. I am dealing with someone very difficult to love right now, and I admit that the risk has been keeping my arms from FULLY extending. I love what you wrote in a big way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, we often have people in our lives who are difficult to love, and some who don't know how to accept love. There are times we have to love from a distance, and that's okay.

      Delete
  5. Hi Dayle! Sometimes it takes a lot of 'guts' to love. You can get hurt for sure, but it's better to be like Jesus and let him take care of the situation than to ignore people all the time.
    Happy Tuesday!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ceil. We are commanded to love. That doesn't mean we have to love bad behavior, but we are to love the person behind the behavior. I used to tell my daughter, whenever she was growing up, I may not always like how you're acting, but I will always love you.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful words. Beautiful scenery. Love never fails & love covers a multitude of sins. Thank you Dayle
    God Bless You~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like you are talking to my heart today. Thank you for your words that are heartfelt.
    Hugs, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photography and blog here, Dayle! Thank you also for the lovely comment on my blog...I'm late getting around to everyone! Just started following. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving comes easy for me, Even when it hurts to love. I find it even harder to just give up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This message is so meaningful to me. Fall holds some sadness from my past that I have to face every year. I've done better this year but I always have to remind myself that loving others has it's rewards. And life brings sorrow to us all...there is no escaping it. Thanks for these encouraging words. I'll copy some of this into my journal tonight. Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. To love involves risk, risk that they will turn and run the other way. But I cannot imagine going through life without loving.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle