Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Scenes from a Blessed Life ~ And More Christmas Images

It had been awhile since twin sister and I shared an evening together, but last Thursday we met up for dinner (she was kind enough to pick up the tab), then did a little shopping afterwards. The weather was cold and windy, but the Christmas spirit, and something hot to drink, warmed us right up.


On Friday, my precious grandniece, the one I call sugar plum, turned three. The day she entered the world, I could never have imagined how she would change mine. Together, we have shared some very special moments, some altogether lovely days, and I hold each memory close to my heart.


Here are a few images from her birthday party.


After the party Friday evening, my adorable step-grandson and lovely daughter spent some time at the house, enjoying the warmth of the fire and posing in front of the Christmas tree. I love the smiles on their faces.


Speaking of grandnieces, my sweet pie now has a full-time sitter, while her mommy earns a paycheck. I don't get to see her as often as I wish, and I miss her something fierce. I'm hoping to keep her a day or two during the upcoming holiday, while her sitter is out of town. Here we are at sugar plum's party. Growing like a weed, she is.


On a sad note, a few weeks ago, I posted about my wonderful brother-in-law losing his dear mother. We don't know why things happen as they do, but on Saturday, her husband of 67 years, joined her in death. If you think of it, would you say a prayer for the family? They aren't grief-stricken as those with no hope of heaven, but there is a void that will remain. Some shoes just can't be filled.

Before I go, a few more Christmas images from around the house. The days have been endlessly gray the last few weeks, and some things are just hard to photograph without natural light. So this morning, with the sun streaming in, I couldn't resist grabbing the Kodak.


In my previous post, I shared about my daughter's little dress seen in my foyer. Here are the little booties that came with it, now hanging close by on an old screen window.




My mother crocheted five of the stockings seen here. They are at least 30 years old, a few even older.


The year we bought our home, in 1989, I made these stockings from a little kit. We used them for many years. Even though time has taken a toll on them, they still bring me joy.


Christmas is a Christian holiday, and there's nothing quite so humbling as a nativity, seeing the Christ Child, God in flesh, lying in a manger, while his earthly parents and guests look on. It reminds me of the beautiful song, "Mary, Did You Know?" If you've never heard it, I believe it's worth a listen. One of my favorite versions is performed by Kenny Rogers and Wynonna Judd.

Until next time, dear friends, may you find peace in this holy season.


***

P.S  On a personal note, I would be thrilled, delighted, honored, humbled if all of you who are on Facebook, would head over to the The Ornament Shop's page, and "like" my Christmas tree photo entry. The top three trees (with the most likes) win cash prizes and I have a very special person picked out to receive any prize I might be lucky enough to win. Here's the direct link to my tree photo. And thanks, sweet friends! 

14 comments:

  1. A beautiful post, Ms. Dayle...as always. There is nothing like those little children to make the holiday such a special time! Sadly, I will not be getting to see my younger grandchildren over Christmas since they are spending it at Disney in Florida...a gift from the grandma that has much more money than this one! :) We will be finding a time to get together with our Nashville bunch the first of the year, though. I love all of the sweet family memories that we associate with the stockings and certain decorations.... especially the nativity. My last post was dedicated to my MIL who made our set and it has such a special place in my heart. Last but not least, "Mary Did You Know" is an absolute favorite of mine. I will be singing it this Sunday morning at a special service we are having at church....Kathy Mattea's arrangement. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. My comment got way too long but I meant to tell you how sorry I was to hear that you BIL lost both of his sweet parents...oh how sad! Prayers going out for this family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Dayle! You truly do have a blessed life.
    Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  4. A post filled with love and sweet heartwarming family pics! The little nativity just sums it all up, doesn't it.
    ps sending prayers concerning the great loss for your brother in law

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post, so full of LOVE.
    Your family is such an example of how it should be, helping, sharing, loving and giving.
    I really appreciate you sharing these times with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely family.

    I went over and LIKED your tree - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What adorable photos of very special little ones in your life. Family is such a precious gift!!!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treat today to see your beautiful family pics and hear about all the fun. I also pray for the loss your family went through. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The old screen window is so charming . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dayle! What news, I'm sorry for the sorrow x2 for your family.
    I love the Christmas tree in the background of your photos too! The last I had read, your little one had multiple babysitters, so what a joy that there is only one now. Something to be grateful for!
    Happy Friday :)
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  11. not sure how I missed this post but glad I caught it. Soo many great pictures. Mary did you know is right at the top of my list of favorite Christmas songs...love it. I am going to check out your tree now, hope I am not too late to vote for it! Enjoy these last few days!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the pictures that you share - they just make me smile! The love in your family is such a sweet thing.

    Praying that your BIL and family will be comforted by the Lord with His presence and peace as you all mourn the earthly loss of his parents. It's kinda precious, though, that his dad followed his mom so soon after her passing. Almost like he couldn't bear to be without her.

    But, looking forward with hope, I can just see the Lord's face celebrating the arrival of these two dear souls!

    GOD BLESS, Dayle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I somehow missed this entry. So sorry for the loss experienced by your family. I said a prayer for them.
    I'm glad your tree won the prize!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle