Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Man's Favorite ~ Cherry Berry Jell-O Salad

This is the Jell-O dish that The Man refuses to go through the holidays without. My mother made it for years before I picked up the torch. I would say I've been making it for at least 25 years now. 

This dish has become a staple for family gatherings and is quite simple to make. It will need to be made the day before your event, however, as it needs to set up overnight. I've seen similar recipes, but I think this one rules. The only name I've ever heard for it is, "Cherry Berry Jell-O Salad." 

What you will need:

1 – 6-oz cherry Jell-O
2 – cups boiling water
1 – 8-10 oz. pkg frozen sweetened strawberries (thawed)
3 – large mashed bananas
1 – can crushed pineapple, with juice 
2 – 8-oz cream cheese (room temperature)
1 – 16-oz sour cream
1 – cup chopped pecans (optional)

A 9 x 13 glass dish is ideal for this recipe.

Instructions:
  1. In large mixing bowl, smash bananas, then add pineapple, strawberries & pecans.
  2. Boil two cups of water and pour in Jell-O, stirring until dissolved.
  3. Add Jell-O to mixing bowl of ingredients.
  4. With a cup, dip half of Jell-O mixture into bottom of 9x13 container.
  5. Place into freezer for 45-60 minutes, or until firmly set.
  6. While mixture is setting up, combine cream cheese and sour cream with electric mixer until soft and creamy.
  7. When Jell-O mixture is firm, very carefully spread cream cheese/sour cream mixture on top with butter knife or spatula, without breaking the gelatin.
  8. Pour remaining Jell-O mixture on top and put in refrigerator overnight, uncovered.


ENJOY!




P.S. I was so thrilled to have won the Christmas tree contest that I blogged about here. Thanks to all of you who voted.



9 comments:

  1. That looks delicious. It's one of those recipes that you never tire of. My pound cake cookies have been baked every Christmas for 25 years. I'll have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The name says it all!
    We enjoy one very similar, but it's my sister-in-law who creates it for the holiday.
    Very festive.

    (I always enjoy the little bits of family history that you add to your posts.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dear Dayle...

    First of all, I wish to convey my sadness over the death of your father-in-law. May he rest in the arms of the Lord in eternal peace.

    Thank you so much for your comment. It meant a lot to me. You are a gem.

    The jello salad sounds yummy. I make a similar one and mmm mmm mmm, it's good, too.

    May the peace of the Baby Jesus fill your hear and your man's heart this Christmas. Love, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, YES! I love Jell-O and think it belongs on every well prepared table :) I just might make this too and (Try) to share. Merry Christmas wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this looks so yummy and so beautifully festive too! It looks like someone couldn't wait to eat some since there is already a serving on the plate :) Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious, Dayle. Merry Christmas. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. What the man wants...The Man gets lol! I can see why it is a family favorite...looks delicious! I too will be making a few family favorites saved for special holidays! Have a blessed any Merry Christmas!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. We eat with our eyes first... No wonder the Man loves this!

    Happy highways,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a witness to its goodness. Leftovers are the best, but for some reason, I rarely see any. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle