This is the Jell-O dish that The Man refuses to go through the holidays without. My mother made it for years before I picked up the torch. I would say I've been making it for at least 25 years now.
This dish has become a staple for family gatherings and is quite simple to make. It will need to be made the day before your event, however, as it needs to set up overnight. I've seen similar recipes, but I think this one rules. The only name I've ever heard for it is, "Cherry Berry Jell-O Salad."
What you will need:
1 – 6-oz cherry Jell-O
2 – cups boiling water
1 – 8-10 oz. pkg frozen sweetened strawberries (thawed)
3 – large mashed bananas
1 – can crushed pineapple, with juice
2 – 8-oz cream cheese (room temperature)
1 – 16-oz sour cream
1 – cup chopped pecans (optional)
A 9 x 13 glass dish is ideal for this recipe.
- In large mixing bowl, smash bananas, then add pineapple, strawberries & pecans.
- Boil two cups of water and pour in Jell-O, stirring until dissolved.
- Add Jell-O to mixing bowl of ingredients.
- With a cup, dip half of Jell-O mixture into bottom of 9x13 container.
- Place into freezer for 45-60 minutes, or until firmly set.
- While mixture is setting up, combine cream cheese and sour cream with electric mixer until soft and creamy.
- When Jell-O mixture is firm, very carefully spread cream cheese/sour cream mixture on top with butter knife or spatula, without breaking the gelatin.
- Pour remaining Jell-O mixture on top and put in refrigerator overnight, uncovered.
P.S. I was so thrilled to have won the Christmas tree contest that I blogged about here. Thanks to all of you who voted.