Wednesday, December 18, 2013

When You Don't Feel Like Smiling ~ There's still a Reason to Rejoice

Last week, as The Man and I were headed out the door to attend the wake of my brother-in-law's father, we stopped in front of the Christmas tree and attempted to strike a cheerful pose. Never mind that we managed to cover up most of the tree (I’m sure there’s a lesson for both of us in that), my point is sometimes you don’t feel like smiling, and this season often finds people in the midst of loss and grief, or reflecting on broken relationships and estranged loved ones. 

As I pray for them, I keep going back to the very words of Jesus in John 16:33 when He said: “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows: but be of good cheer, because I have overcome the world.” 

Such a powerful message in this. When chaos surrounds us, our peace is in Him. When darkness prevails, with no sight of moon or stars or sun, our cheer is because He has overcome the world. What a comforting passage: "Be of good cheer, because I have overcome the world."


No matter what season you find yourself in, Christ has come. Let us rejoice!

***

I've been absent in blogland during most of this month, and will probably be the same for the remaining days in December, but I wanted to pop in and wish you all a blessed Christmas. Until next time, thank you for the gift of your friendship.



6 comments:

  1. Dayle, you are right...as hard as it can be at times, we do need to remain joyful in the Lord, simply because of what He's done for us...and not depending on our circumstances. Joy and happiness are not the same thing and I have learned that I am responsible for my own joy...it's not anyone else's responsiblity. I personally am a smiler...just can't help it, although there are many times when I realize it is only a mask. The Lord knows of the trials and tribulations that I have faced through the years, covering my devastated heart with a teethy grin so you don't have to explain anything. Thank you for this reminder. I have truly been blessed getting to "know" you these last several months that I have been blogging. Your posts always go right to my heart! I pray you and your sweet family's Christmas is JOYOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Dayle. I don't think that the Lord expects us to be happy all the time, but there is a big difference between the fleeting quality of happiness that this world offers, and the eternal sense of joy that we are called to. Even in the midst of difficulties and suffering, I am so encouraged by the resounding Truth that Jesus has overcome the world's troubles! May His peace come over us, and bring rest to our weary and broken hearts.

    GOD BLESS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in a much better place emotionally this year than last and I am so thankful to God for being my strength and seeing me through this first year after the loss of my dear husband.

    One day we will all realize just how much He has done for us.

    Have a wonderful Christmas holiday and a fantastic 2014.

    Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm smiling too!
    This time of year has a lot of emotions and feelings that go with it.
    But I too, will keep smiling.

    Bless you Dayle and your growing family1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw Dayle, I'm so sorry I allowed the chaos of the holidays to keep in touch. Each of your images makes me smile and more often than not, provokes recollections I'd quite forgotten. You're so right to remind us of those who struggle with heartache during the holidays. Prior to Christmas '81, my daddy passed suddenly. Together with mother and a few relatives, we paused amid funeral preparations for lunch, and of course our waitress was full of holiday cheer. I'll never forget when she opened, "How is everyone doing?" My father-in-law said something about being saddened to be making funeral plans, and she replied, "Oh, that's nice!" (Huh?!?!) Yesterday when we were at the oncologist, my heart just broke for the dozen-or-so patients in their recliners who were receiving their chemo. Yes, not everyone has cause to rejoice. Many blessings for a heartwarming New Years!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle