Friday, January 3, 2014

The Pleasures of Winter

New Year's Day has come and gone. I ate my black-eyed peas and cabbage like a good girl and dismantled the Christmas tree in record speed for an old lady. I cleaned out the top tray on my desk and ended up feeling quite accomplished. I've decided 2014 will be the year of less. (Remind me I said that in a few weeks.)


And so it's back to normal around here, which is the state I most often prefer. 




I have friends who swap up the furniture as often as they change shoes, but I find there's something peaceful about the familiar.


Although winters in my little woods aren't harsh (thank the Lord), we do have some cold, gray days. I find they provide the perfect backdrop for ridding my home of clutter, for making room for the coming of spring—space to breathe, space to bloom. 


I don't know how I would deal with extreme winter conditions, but here in the South, I find a certain pleasure in the settling in for the season ... 


in the goodness that comes out of my kitchen ...

in the warmth of an old quilt when the chill finds me ...

and in the soft light of a candle in the late afternoon.


"Winter," Edith Sitwell wrote, "is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home."

Until next time, dear friends, thanks for keeping me company. May you be warmed and filled, wherever you are.

***



15 comments:

  1. Dayle - how true! Your photos are beautiful as is your writing! I am your newest follower.

    Happy New Year.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what comforting thoughts and photographs...very warm and soothing. I agree with you about getting back to normal...although it's different for all of us, it is our comfort zone! My house is still a mess but will be getting it back together this weekend. Looking forward to what 2014 has in store, Stay warm :)

    Blessings to you, Dayle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a Simple Pleasures post, for sure! I miss it. Your home looks fabulous as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a way with words that settle down my emotions and heart.
    And when you add your pictures, it's like a wonderful day dream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm feeling warmed and filled by coming here tonight. I'm in Chicago and it is COLD so thank you for the warmth of this post. You have a beautiful home. Thank you for joining us for Three Word Wednesday. I love when someone new joins us!!
    Many blessings,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm. Loved that peaceful feelin', Dayle.

    But is it OK if I'm filled and chilled instead of warmed and filled? Aw, thanks. Excuse me while I go turn the air conditioner back on. *wink*

    Happy highways,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  7. With 2 young pups underfoot, de-cluttering's still a bit of a challenge - but I can sure empathize with your taking pleasure in (new-again) 'space'. Diesel looks like a contented fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos! I love the quilts...so cozy. I hope you aren't experiencing this piercing cold that we have now. Wind chill is brutal!

    Wishing you a very Happy New Year with many blessings.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the soft glow throughout your home and the beautiful collection of quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cozy atmosphere you have in your home! I felt like I was right there with you by the fire!

    Looking forward to the coming year - and to seeing how God works in our lives! ('Cuz you just know that He will!)

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love normal. Feels safe. Love you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You may not get harsh winters, but you sure do know how to do "cozy!" Such wonderful photos! It makes me want for more, so I am signing up to follow you right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a beautiful post and beautiful words. Thank you for stopping by my blog this week which has lead me to yours! and thank you for taking us into your lovely home. Stay warm and I wish you many happy days in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully expressed (and illustrated!) Dayle. I tend to agree with you about winter. It's a God given opportunity to nest inside just a little bit. It's not my favorite season, but it isn't nearly as "bare" as we tend to see it sometimes.

    I'm about less this year too. (Well, less in some cases and more in others.)

    Happy New Year!

    (BTW, my favorite shot is the one looking down the hall to your living room. That is so warm and welcoming it could be on the cover of a Hallmark card. )

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have loved looking back through your blog, and I do thank you for visiting. Your name and face are very familiar to me, and I am going to have to go back through my archives to see if I have any of your books. I used to live in Dallas, but we left in late 1993. Of course, I did read the DMN.

    Brenda is a really good writer, and I hope she finds a (paying) venue soon. I love to connect with other kindred spirits. I will be reading you regularly now.

    Great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle