Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Goodbye, Beautiful Friend

Yesterday, tears fell randomly throughout the afternoon. I learned that a friend had passed away. Tosha was a 14-year breast cancer survivor, and a very brave soul.

Tosha and I became friends from the moment we met. We always had each other’s back. We enjoyed each other’s company, and, for seven years, I was privileged to work alongside her at a local hospital, where she spent more than three decades of her life. Tosha was my daughter’s manager for a number of years and treated her like family. (That's her above with Anna at Anna's wedding shower in 2010.) 

Tosha was so genuine and pure, straightforward and honest. I loved her like a sister. Her position at the hospital couldn't have been more perfect. As the department manager of The Breast Center, she understood the patients who came there, for she had been in their shoes. She took a special interest in each one and went over and above the call of duty for not only the patients, but for her staff. The hospital will never be the same.

In her untimely death, I am reminded again:

  • To make time for friends.
  • That life is wonderful, even if it’s not perfect.
  • To say, “I love you” often.
  • To share someone else’s burden.
  • To be thankful for the smallest of gifts.
  • To make the moments count.



Rest in peace, beautiful friend. I will always be grateful that our ships didn’t pass in the night, but that, for a time, we sailed side-by-side. I will miss you always.


***



21 comments:

  1. saying a prayer for your heart right now... and it is bringing a tear to my own eye as my ann comes to mind. losing a friend is so sad... so hard. but oh the beautiful lessons that come through it, if we seek them. making the moments count... yes. so important xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your dear friend. A very hard and sad time, you are in my thoughts and prayers...............

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss of this very dear friend.

    Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss, Dayle. Tosha must have been a wonderful person. Her legacy will live on. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, Dayle. Thank you for sharing the very good reminders - so important for all of us to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss Dayle - hugs to you dear....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dayle, I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sad to hear about your friend,but she is with Jesus. Heaven is a wonderful place. You asked about my moon shots. I have a new Canon Power Shot SX50HS. It does all the work. I just have to hold the camera still and that is not so easy for me.
    Hugs, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry for your loss. Be gentle to yourself for the next few days.

    Someone very close to me was just diagnosed with breast cancer and had her surgery last week. Chemo and radiation ahead, but hoping for a full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so very sorry. She was a beautiful person and obviously, beautiful inside too. I'm sure you have many beautiful memories to treasure.

    Life is so short and you're right...we need to make time for the important people and events that mean so much.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a lump in my throat and an ache in my heart for you, Dayle. What a beautiful tribute to your friend. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. *tears* and love and hugs at the news of your loss. I am so sorry, dear Dayle.

    Prayers for all of you during a season of grief. Blessed are they who mourn. They shall be comforted.

    God's everlasting arms around you,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  13. So very sorry. Praying for comfort for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry for your loss! I hope she is in peace now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Dayle...I am so sorry for your loss. It really is a loss. We love our friends, they truly are God's gift to us. I'm sure you were a big part of her cancer and cancer-free journey. I'm sure it made you even closer.
    On this Valentine's Day, it's so beautiful to remember those who have gone to God, and love us now with him. I pray that your heart will come to rest. I know it will take time.
    Blessings to you and your broken heart,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dayle, I'm so very sorry to learn of Tosha's passing. That quote by Richard Bach is one of my favorites. I've been mentally absent for so long, struggling and anxious over something I couldn't even identify ... then I took time to read - really read your experiences below. I'm going to start practicing these tips immediately!

    Have a wonderful new week!

    Myra

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dayle, somehow I must have missed this post about the loss of your sweet friend. I am so sorry for your loss. I can tell by reading your post that she she was precious to you. I pray the Lord is easing your pain and bringing comfort to your soul.

    Blessings to you,
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my. For some reason this post makes me cry. I'm not sure if it was the beautiful quote or your own heartfelt words Dayle. But I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful friend, it sounds like she was an extraordinary soul who touched so many. Makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle