Tuesday, May 20, 2014

When Birds Sing and Flowers Bloom ~ Taking Notes

On Saturday, after a week of disquieting situations that have no quick resolutions, twin sister and I drove to a local garden center where I picked out a few beauties for my little gardens. The act of gardening, though hard on the old body now, never fails to lift my spirits and fill me with hope.


Back home, I wasted no time in placing my offerings in the ground, and they wasted no time in rewarding me for my labor.

***

As I write these words, it is now Monday. Outside, the sun has softened, while my new plantings nod to me in the late afternoon breeze. Just above, under a brilliant sky, birds are singing, their melodies settling around me like a gentle rain.

In trying seasons, it’s easy for the heart to grow faint, for despair to lay on the soul like a heavy blanket. Sometimes, it can be hard to breathe.

But the flowers are not worried about how they will fare tomorrow or next week. Today, they bloom.

And the birds are not fretting about what struggles may await them next month or next year. Today, they sing.

As these thoughts wash over me, I realize that no matter how unsettled my spirit may become, there’s simply no reason why I can’t do the same.

Until next time, sweet friends, wherever you are, whatever your story may be, I pray you find the courage to sing and to bloom, no matter what.

***


11 comments:

  1. ..........and I wish the same for you Dayle. From your posts I imagine that some of the challenges of this time of life that I am facing - you are sharing. Hugs.........and a prayer at my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest son left home this morning - for good, and the first thing I did was to turn and tend my flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dear Dayle.

    Sorry things have been disquieting.

    I am still grieving too, for my Honey Cat. It has been two weeks now since she died and the ache in my heart is still deep.

    I do a daily reading and a recent one was "God Is In Control." That was very calming and reassuring. He knows what he is doing in our lives.

    Blessing to you, my friend. Susan p.s. Your flowers look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been having my own disquieting moments these past few days, I really needed to hear this. Thank you for always bringing such peace with your words. Oh, and the flowers are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is what instantly leapt into my head:

    "That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are? Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?

    And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?" (Matthew 6:25-30, NLT)

    I am often disquieted in my spirit. And lately, circumstances have added to the upheaval. Only in being still can I hold on to God's truth - I am with you, know that I am God.

    Your photos were so pretty, and served as a wonderful reminder. The flowers fret not, and birds do not worry. May we learn ever more to rest in His loving care.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love you, twin sister. God is good, even when it's hard to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got my notepad out. The ink in my pen is green. :o)

    Hugs and happy week,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully said, Dayle. It is easy to lose heart when life takes an unexpected turn. I TRY to live in the day and not worry too much about the past or be too anxious about the future. Sometimes I succeed and sometimes I don't.

    God bless you- as you travel through whatever trials life has thrown your way right now- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my.. did I EVER need this post! I love the way you wrote it, and I love the way the sunlight is playing in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My thoughts are with you.
    Things may not work out as planned but they always work out.
    Just breathe . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good for the soul to get busy. In this case, gardening.
    But to have a sister/friend along, that is a double blessing.
    {{{{hugs}}}}

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle