Thursday, May 8, 2014

Why Children Love Grandparents ~ A Story for Grandparents Everywhere


This is truly a rambling story; if you can't linger, I get it, but sometimes your heart is so moved that the edited version will not do. Such is the case. 


I love a child who has a plan, and sugar plum had a plan right from the start Saturday morning. 

With two markers in her hand—a purple one and a blue one—she said, “I want to draw Nanna,” and began making purple marks on a blank sheet of drawing paper. I coached her along, but then she said, “Aunt Dayle, can you draw Nanna for me? I don’t know how she goes.” 



Happy to help, I reached for a brown marker but she stopped me short. “Nanna has to be purple,” she said. Agreeing wholeheartedly that it was the perfect color for Nanna, I took the purple marker and quickly drew a stick figure—there was Nanna. With a big smile, sugar plum approved.


“Now,” she said, “draw Pappa. He has to be blue.” I did as I was told and she was pleased. I captioned each figure, but she wasn’t finished. “Now, draw me in Nanna’s arms,” she said. Rifling through the crayons and markers, she said, “I want to be green.”



I studied the image of Nanna and began doubting my artistic abilities to pull off sugar plum's latest request. “Sweetie,” I said, “I’m afraid Aunt Dayle would make a real mess if I tried to draw you in Nanna’s arms.” We looked at the picture, and at each other across the little table, and then I suggested, “How about I put you in the middle here?” Her eyes lit up. “And they can be holding my hands!” she declared, quite thrilled with the notion.

And so it was done, and as we admired my handiwork, she said, in the sweetest most wistful little voice, “I miss Nanna and Pappa.” I'm certain she had seen them in recent days and, yet, she missed them. All I could think of was how much I love this child, and what a blessing children are to the world, and grandparents are to a child.


The relationship between children and grandparents is one that has always fascinated me. If you look at the facts, they are as follows: Grandparents are not the most attractive people in a child’s life. Grandparents generally have wrinkles and extra flab around the middle. Many grandparents are on a fixed income; they watch their budget faithfully. Most drive older vehicles, live in older homes, and wear sensible shoes. 

And yet, I think it’s safe to say that some of a child’s most favorite people are his or her grandparents. The reason, as I see it, is because children respond more to unconditional love and acceptance than to any of the aforementioned things. They relish in the fact that their grandparents are interested in every little thing they do and say. They feel nothing but love and acceptance. That's what grandparents do.

You can read more about the importance of grandparents, in the life of a child at this link.

Until next time, dear friends, I've been less than diligent in getting around blogland lately, but we will catch up soon. In the meantime, your visits here are a blessing to me.


***

19 comments:

  1. What a sweet story that makes me miss my Grandparents! Even now, I can do something, and I remember my granddaddy saying, "She's a mighty fine girl!" and it still makes me feel so happy! What a gift to have unconditional love. I wish it for all children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dayle...what a precious post! The grandparent-grandchild relationship is very special. I was so fortunate to be able to babysit the older grandsons (when they were tiny babies up until they were older toddlers) while their mommy worked and I wouldn't have taken anything for that time! Although it was exhausting some days, the bond that my husband and I formed with them is still very much there today and they are now 15 and 13. Although we don't have the same situation with our younger two in Nashville, our relationship is still very strong. We know that to be true whenever either of us leaves to go back home after a visit...they cry because they know it will be another little while before they see us again! It warms my heart and tears it out at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this story, sweet sister, and I've seen firsthand how special the bond is between Miss Ainsley and her nanna and pappa. As a relatively new nonni, the bond with my Audrey girl is unlike any bond I've ever known.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree!! Our girls love their mema and poppie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh, such a sweet post, Dayle. You did a great job being "artist." Loved that story.

    Your visiting my blog is also always a blessing. I feel VERY blessed indeed. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you didn't try to edit out one thing. I loved it exactly as written, and I loved what you said at the end, too. I think you are spot on.

    I just wrote more but deleted it. You said it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet story and the beautiful thought that she "missed them" yet she had recently seen them.
    Thank you for sharing your lovely story with us here at “Tell Me a Story.” At: http://letmetelluastory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have the SAME artistic talent as ME!!! :)

    As a grandmother, I of course loved this story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. I just became a grandmother this last year...got three grandsons in one year, and I now know! They light up my world and your words have spoken to the heart well.
    Enjoy this little one, she is blessed to have you as her Great Aunt!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your stick figures actually look like your mom and dad! I love the interaction between you two. So sweet. You have great wisdom on this subject. Just as you said, children love to be loved unconditionally and they give it back tenfold. With grandbaby #3 on the way I want to make sure I spend more one-on-one time with each of the girls this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As both a grandma and a grandchild -- this is a great post! I loved my grandparents and being one is absolutely the best job ever! Glad Deb told me to stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are right there is nothing more wonderful than the love for children for their grandparents.Such a sweetie, xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is truly lovely. I myself thought fondly of my own now passed Grandparents and the seeming endless patience they had at times.
    Your art work is darling, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked this Dayle and I so agree that children bring something so amazing into our lives. I'm not a grandmother yet, but my oldest and I sometimes talk about when she'll be older, married and has kids. I always tell her that I'll spoil her kids with so much love. Kids change us for the better and make our lives rich. Hope you have an amazing weekend and Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The "plan" reminds me of when my son made a scrapbook of a trip to Disney. He explained the purpose of everything on the page. I never would have "gotten it" had I just looked at it on my own, but he surely had a plan for every page. So I truly enjoyed the story of Sugarplum's drawing! And all very true what you say about Grandparents. I haven't ever thought of it in terms of their physical attributes, etc, but what a wonderful observation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love kidspeak . . .
    "I don’t know how she goes.”

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love this! Grands are the best. I love it when mine make me a homemade card. My little 4 year old Jack sent me and grandpa (each our own) card in the mail for Easter. He had written it all by himself. Mine had a wonderful picture of a volcano and hubbies had a palm tree with falling coconuts. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  18. I ask my youngest grandchild "who's Grammy's girl?" I get a big 14-month-old smile and a drooly kiss. Love that answer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm just reading this and looking around your heartfelt blog. Of course, since I'm a BonBon of two precious grandbabies and another on the way, I was quick to notice your title. She is such a doll and what a precious story. Oh how I miss my babies. I pray to be able to live close enough to watch Tball and cheerleading or ballet or whatever they want to do or be. Thanks for sharing this sweet story.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle