Tuesday, June 3, 2014

As June Unfolds ~ Scenes from a Blessed Life

June has arrived on the heels of a week filled with rainy days and sudden bursts of sunshine, the kind of days that can make you feel uncertain and catch you without an umbrella.

Life can be a little like that and sometimes the only thing to do is sit it out. Waiting, by definition, seems to require nothing of us. But, dear friends, you know as well as I do that waiting is an exercise in self-discipline. It can be draining on both body and spirit. It is often the hardest thing to do.

But while we wait for the atmosphere to settle, and the path to become clear, we can still collect special moments and take pleasure in their sweetness. They remind us that this too shall pass, that life is good, that just as the sunshine has a purpose, so does the rain.

Here are a few special moments over the last few weeks.



I have a new old quilt, the first quilt in my collection that is not family related. A friend had a friend whose estate was being settled. Nobody wanted the old quilts, which sent a pain straight to my heart. There were several up for grabs, most in poor condition. This wedding ring pattern, however, had the most appeal for me and appeared to be in fair condition. I offered $25 for it and the deal was sealed. The only thing I know about it is that it was made by Gladys Wilcox and presented to the owner at least 50 years ago. I love it.


Sugar plum has been scarce these days; my fault, not hers. But whenever she is here, life is suddenly sweeter, the day filled to the brim with fun. 


Memorial Day found a few family members gathering at my niece's beautiful apartment for some much needed fellowship. Pie, of course, was the center of attention.


Speaking of pie, she dropped in over the weekend and I couldn't resist a few photos. This child has captured my heart. Then again, I knew she would.


If it's summertime, it's baseball time at Minute Maid Park. The Man and I enjoyed an evening with the daughter and son-in-law a few nights ago. The Astros won, which made it all the more special.


A night out with my sisters is always a treat. Standing between these two women is like standing between two pillars of strength. They share my burdens and multiply my joys. I can't imagine life without them.


The last day of May is a special day in our family. My sweet niece (sugar plum's mom) was born on this day and on Saturday the family joined her in celebrating her 30th birthday. I don't know how that's even possible. She and I have shared many special moments in the last 30 years. I am grateful and so proud of the woman she has become.


And finally, for those faithful souls who are still with me, as I walked around the yard yesterday, I admired the thriving plants that were placed in the ground recently.


Glancing up to offer a prayer of thanksgiving, I caught sight of these delicate flowers on one of the trees in the backyard, a tree whose name I am still uncertain of. Every year around this time, it explodes in glorious blooms. 

For a long while, I stood drinking in its magic, and I thought of the words in Ecclesiastes 3:11: "He has made all things beautiful in its time." I have considered these words many times through the years, but yesterday, they dropped deeply into my soul.

Until next time, sweet friends, I wish for you a week of special moments and gentle words.

***


14 comments:

  1. I want to comment on each picture but I won't because my comment section would be to long.
    So, I'll let you know that you share beautifully!
    Oh, I can't resist... I love that your mother dressed in red, white and blue for Memorial Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always blesses my heart to read your posts. In your previous post, I noticed in one of the photos of your mom as a young woman, (the anniversary collage) how much you look like her! And then in this post, I noticed how much your older sis looks like your dad! Enjoy your beautiful flowers and what a great deal you got on that lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Dayle, for these lovely moments. They were so wonderfully uplifting to me. I feel like I am in a season of waiting, trying to figure out a lot of things in my life. But today I'm going to take your advice and look around me for the beautiful moments that still abound.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. All of it. I am looking forward to a Braves game this year! It's been too long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs to you, dear sister. Love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Quilts, beautiful pictures, I think that maybe that tree is a Rose of Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful family you have, Dayle and how wonderful your time with them. I love your new quilt. Can we ever have too many? xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great old quilt. I guess I don't know what area of the country you live in -but I was born and raised in PA and had a first cousin named Gladys Wilcox. She would have been over 100 by now. That was my maiden name also. Funny to see that name here- she was the one that took me to the little Grace Baptist Church where I found God---or He found me...lol

    Love all the birthday celebrating and you and your sisters are just so sweet together. Your niece and that baby are darling, too.

    You are so right about waiting for things to happen---waiting to see which path you are supposed to walk. That feeling of being in limbo is one of the hardest of all for me to deal with.

    AND- your gardens are lovely! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just look at that... both of our hearts were drawn to the lovely flowers and to the same verse by Him who created them :) Pretty special! Sweet, sweet pics of all your family. Sister love and little cherub love. Quilt love and ballgame love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Dear Dayle...Your posts are always so welcome. Your love for your sisters is admirable. Family is such a great blessing. Love your mentions of sweetpea and pie, darlings. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading your blog is often just the inspiration I need.
    Thank you . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful blog. I am so happy I found you. I look forward to reading more of your precious words of wisdom. Love the photos of the kiddos. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Dayle. I have you/your blog on my sidebar, so I dropped in this evening and found this sweet (old) post about family and Sugarplum and sisters and the beauty around us. By now perhaps you've found the name of your flowering tree, but in case you haven't, I'm pretty sure it's a hibiscus. At least now you can look that name up and see if that's what it is. :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle