Monday, July 28, 2014

The State of the Little Nieces

Dear ones, I am so blessed to have you in my life. Thanks for all of your welcome-back notes and comments. I read them in the quiet hours of night and it was like being surrounded by friends. While I didn’t trumpet our arrival home, The Man and I are home from our time away, at least for now, and hope to be back in the full swing of routines before too long. It’s been a season like no other and sometimes it takes awhile to find your balance again, but soon, very soon.

I’ve not blogged about my adorable grand-nieces in some time. Are you ready for major cuteness and such?


I spent a few precious hours with pie on Friday—the first time I’ve seen her since our turnaround trip home three weeks ago.


It’s clear her charm has not faded since we’ve been apart, and the chocolate cookie smudges on her face made her even more charming. She is walking up a storm, did I mention?


This baby’s smile lights up a room and beyond.


And her continued love of books makes her writer-aunt’s heart leap for joy. 

When she gets quiet, you can find her in her little chair looking at books. And the best part is she will let you read to her for a very long time.

The last time we chatted about pie, she was on the eve of having to enter daycare, and it was killing me and her mom and her Nonni and all of those who love her. What I haven’t told you is that God answered our prayers and pie has yet to spend a single day in daycare, for which we are most grateful. She is in the care of a seasoned nanny at the time of this writing and that is, in part, due to your faithful prayers. So, thank you, more than you know, thank you.


While we were away, pie celebrated her first birthday. Yes, already. Looks like we missed a lot of fun, doesn't it? 


Then there is my adorable sugar plum. What can I say that I haven’t said about this child? She fills my world and my heart with pure joy. On Thursday, we spent a few precious hours together. She's not much into wanting her picture taken these days, but I managed a couple anyway. 

We made pancakes and played and laughed and talked. My favorite line was when she put her arm around me and said, "Aunt Dayle, I love you so, so much." I keep asking myself how I ever got this lucky.


I want to squeeze her tight and put a lid on her head in an effort to stop her from growing up. I simply cannot believe she will turn four in a few months, but that is what little ones do—they grow up right before your very eyes, ready or not. I'm so blessed to be her great-aunt.


Sugar plum's summer has included a trip with her mom and dad, and her nanna (whom she adores) along for the ride. Here they are, sharing sweet memories together.

***

As I mentioned in my last post, there are some exciting things on the horizon, Lord willing, and I will share more about those in the coming weeks. In the meantime, the days are bright and hot, as summers tend to be in my little woods.


Until next time, know that I think of you and cherish our conversations.

***




14 comments:

  1. Sweet babies. You captured their sweetness in all the photos. (I know of the no pictures stage. ;)) I am so thankful Pie didn't have to spend even one day in day care. God knows the desires of our hearts. The desire to have her under the care of a nurturing lady was not unknown to Him. Amazing, He is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Dayle...they couldn't be more adorable! So glad you were able to have this time together...thanks for sharing the cuteness :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're back in the neighborhood. It's lonely when you're gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What happy times! Enjoy your week my friend! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Dayle, I am always so happy when I see one of your posts. Pie and sugar plum are darlings. Oh my GOODNESS.....such sweetie pies. Love looking at their photos! And you are a most gracious and beautiful person in their lives. They are blessed, too.

    Take care and I look forward to your news. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. No dessert for me tonight . . . these sweeties are enough!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are surely sweet pies and sugar plums. For sure! I love looking at photos of babies. Just love it. Melts my heart. Thanks for sharing. The beautiful photo of the patio with lights and lantern is great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Precious girls, and so photogenic! On this side of Heaven, we are so blessed to have the joy of family. And, to have the chance to see the world again through the eyes of a child is a treat. May we learn from these little ones how to remain childlike.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a proud auntie for good reason! What sweet girlies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pie and Sugar Plum - It doesn't get much better than that.

    Right along with you - "It’s been a season like no other and sometimes it takes awhile to find your balance again, but soon, very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello there!
    I am so happy you left a comment on my little ole blog which led me back to you...
    I am happy to be a new follower.
    Have a cozy summer day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have always put the perfect words with your feelings. It's like poetry.
    Your grand nieces are like medicine for the heart.
    God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my what sweet darlings! So happy you enjoy them so.

    I hope you are enjoying the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle