Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A Change in the Office



For a number of years, I enjoyed this plaid wing-back chair in my office. It has been with me a long time, but its history is another post for another day (or not).


In early 2013, my grand-niece, sugar plum I call her, had just turned two, so when I found a little table-and-chair set in a thrift store close to my mom's house, I snatched it up and brought it home. The office seemed the right place for it, so I relocated the chair. I knew sugar plum would have a whole lot of fun in this space, at this table. 


And that is precisely what has happened. From Play-Doh bonanzas, to puzzles, to drawing, to eating lunch, this little table has been, and continues to be, a perfect fit for the youngsters.

***

But there was one chair that I dreamed of having in my office, a chair I’ve loved from the day I sat in it at my sister’s home many years ago. 

So when it came up for grabs last month, I raised my hand and said, “ME, ME! Pick me!”


And that's how it came to pass that this cozy chair is now in our home office. In time, I may slipcover it, but for now I’m enjoying it to the fullest and I think it still looks wonderful.




It’s big enough to sleep in, practically, and plenty big enough for two while reading books.


As for the little table, it now sits in front of the window, behind the big chair, still bringing joy and a happy space for the little ones. And with a grandbaby on the way, I expect it will be around for many years to come.

***


Joining the following communities:



17 comments:

  1. That is the perfect sort of chair...looks so comfortable / roomy enough to curl up in, and pretty as well : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a sofa from a furniture line called "Grandma's Attic".
    I think this chair would fit that name as well . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that two can sit in for the enjoyment of a together-read, that beautiful 'new' chair makes it a five-star keeper for me! We can't find furniture like it in Manila, and on Guam? Definitely unaffordable if found. I'm thrilled the chair is now yours to enjoy for many terrific years to come.

    I can't WAIT to see your g'baby lying in your arms!

    Hugs and happy week,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the chair! Looks soo comfy and cozy;..I would have been yelling, "ME! ME!" too. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can fit the chair and the table in that space! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that a lot of your pieces have a story to tell! That's wonderful!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cozy place to wrok! Spaces for our little loved ones who visit is important too I think. Have a good day! (from Cozy Little House) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the plaid chair with the fabulous dog next it, I must say. The new chair is lovely too.
    Marie @ In Our Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad my chair found its way to your home. When I bought it, I specifically looked for a chair I could curl up in without any restraints. And yes, it's BIG! I never wanted to be free of it, but Leslie asked for it when she moved out, and when she recently started downsizing and uploading, it was available again, but, alas, the BIG spot I had for it is now occupied by a desk. Thus, you got it! It looks great in your office. I hope you get many wonderful years out of it. I know how you do like to keep things for awhile, so it'll probably be safe with you forever. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love favorite chairs and hand me downs. Both are the best ever. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a treat to get the chair you dreamed about with plenty of room for two. The plaid chair is also lovely with many memories. From your newest follower, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, cozy chair, my friend!
    The perfect addition to that lovely space.
    And the table? Precious.
    It is similar to the one I use with my Flynn in the schoolroom. : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now, that is a cozy chair! Love the style and the size. Sweet little table where many happy hours will be spent!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whenever I see a chair like that, all I can think is that it's perfectly designed for reading to children. I would love to have one if and when (and I'm believing for "when") I have little ones around here to read to someday. I love how you have changed out your office for this specific season in your life. I can't imagine doing anything but smiling in there. I really can't.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love the old chair, Dayle. I definitely wouldn't recover it. The fabric with flowers is perfect. You know, I bought a little table and one chair for my grand and she adores it. It gets a LOT of use!

    So excited for your new baby-in-process. How wonderful. Susan p.s. Thanks for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. that is the comfiest looking chair. Glad you got it. And the little table and chairs reminds me when my kids were little and we had a similar one in the living room. I used to love watching them play and create. Now that they're teens, they've taken over the kitchen table and I still love to watch them create.....Have a great weekend Dayle.. Love reading about your life, your home and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for stopping by Up on The Hill and leaving kind words! I wanted to say that your chair, gallery wall, and especially dog, are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle