Monday, September 15, 2014

Monday Morning Musings ~ On this and that and the other



Dear friends, the rain has come, leaving the air light and cool, the earth like a painter’s fresh canvas. I awoke earlier than usual Saturday morning. A last-minute change of plans meant sugar plum was coming for a few hours. 

In the kitchen, I put a pot of coffee on to brew and found pleasure in the sound of it spitting and sputtering its way to goodness. 


Whoever came up with the idea of making coffee from a bean, I love you. Although I do enjoy an occasional flavored creamer, I prefer my coffee black, thank you very much.

With Diesel in tow, and coffee in hand, I stepped into the gray morning and sat on the bench under the breezeway, feeling almost giddy. It was 68-degrees in the middle of September and that’s something to be giddy about in my little woods. As the wind played in the trees, a cool mist blew against my face, making me glad I grabbed a light jacket on the way out.

This cooler weather may not last long, but since August, my gut instinct has told me that fall will arrive earlier than usual this year. I have my reasons for this wild notion; time will tell if I’m right.


Whether I’m right or not, one of these mornings fall will arrive and stay awhile. A few days from now, the sun, having shifted gears back in June, will no longer sit high overhead at noon, but will rest a little lower, its golden path slanting across the earth in delicious shades of autumn.

New seasons generally mean a spell of stormy weather, a few wardrobe adjustments, a farewell to whatever season came before. A letting go of what was, if you will, and embracing what is.

Last night, in this very chair, in this very paragraph, I wrote about hard places, about the struggle of letting go of things, especially those things over which you have no control or influence. But this morning, in a moment of clarity and a step of faith, I hit the backspace key and erased it. Truth is, I wouldn’t be telling you anything you haven’t experienced yourself, so why spoil a perfectly good day, or paragraph for that matter, lamenting?

Instead, I leave you with something I read years ago that went like this:

First scenario:

Do you have a problem?
Yes.
Can you do something to fix it?
Yes.
Then don’t worry. Just fix it.

Second scenario:

Do you have a problem?
Yes.
Can you do something to fix it?
No.
Then don’t worry. Just pray.


Growing up, we sang a little song in Sunday school about worrying. I hadn't thought of it until just now. I don't know who wrote it, but if I remember correctly, the lyrics are these:

Why worry, when you can pray?
Trust Jesus; He leads the way.
Don't be a doubting Thomas
Rest fully on God's promise.
Why worry, worry, worry, worry
When you can pray?

Until next time, sweet friends, thanks for hanging with me; your company is a balm to my spirit. May your week be filled with worry-free days and nights wrapped in peace.



*** 


13 comments:

  1. I hope you are right about Fall arriving soon. It's so hot now.

    I've seen a flow chart with the, "Are you happy" choices. It really makes it easy when you think of it that way, doesn't it?

    Happy Monday . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet pictures,
    Warm thoughts,
    Song on my lips,
    Prayer in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First let me say that the photo of that coffee mug is amazing...I can almost smell it! Thank you for this lovely post...it is cool here too and like you, it seems fall is on it's way...yay! And the "scenerios" are something that I will be remembering. Have a blessed day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posts always help me in one way or another.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely thoughts, and they provided me with some much-needed encouragement today. Thanks!!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, your writing is beautiful and to be savored.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my...
    the beautiful words and charming photos...
    I so love visiting with you here.
    Especially during the autumn.
    The most beautiful, cozy time of year. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your visit to my blog today, Dayle. It's so nice to meet you. You have a lovely, inspiring site, and I look forward to following along.

    I've been feeling like it will be an early autumn too. It was as if a "switch" was turned on on September 1st. Since then, it's been nights in the 40s, most days in the 70's, though today's in the 80's.

    This article reminded me of the "serenity" prayer. You know, "God, grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." I am a slow learner, but in recent years, I've finally been able to accept that which I could not change. Funny, the peace and joy that comes from doing so.

    Blessings,
    Patti @ Magnolia Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very uplifting post. I've learned that I have very little control over things so it's good to be reminded...don't worry! And I pray! Enjoy your week sweet friend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post Dayle! That is how I try to live my life. I know that i can't change some things so worrying about it does no good. I just turn it over to the Lord and do the best I can. If I can fix it I try to. Fall is coming early here also.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think many of us in our generation grew up as "fixers". That makes it so hard to let go of something you can't fix - we just keep thinking "there must be something I can do or say" or {"should have done or said".

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle