Sunday, October 19, 2014

Postcards from the Road ~ Another Year Older and the 2013 Scrapbook is Finito!

Dear friends, the retirees are still enjoying the mountain views. The rain has finally stopped, leaving the air amazingly autumn. I’ve pulled out tights and sweaters and boots and that makes me one happy camper.


After two days of rain, Wednesday was overcast and perfect for driving through the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. We’ve driven through many times, taking various scenic routes, but I’ve never seen it looking more spectacular than it did on Wednesday—the river was high and just enough foliage ablaze to make you catch your breath around every curve. We took the 18-mile road known as Little River Road, but the photos can’t truly tell the story. If you ever have the chance to drive through in autumn, you won’t be disappointed.


In other news, for the second year in a row, I celebrated my birthday away from twin sister. I’ve already decided that next year will be different—we will be together, Lord willing and the creeks don’t rise.


I was born seven minutes ahead of Gayle, but I never existed without her, not even in the womb. Being an identical twin cannot be explained to anyone who isn’t one, but Gayle understands perfectly when I say that the words, “I love you,” almost have no meaning, as there isn’t a word or a phrase to describe the feelings between identical twins; we share a language and feelings uniquely ours. 


Despite missing Gayle, my birthday was filled with good food, precious cards from home, a slice of apple spice cake, with a little rum sauce, and a tealight candle for making a wish, which I did but I can’t reveal here, lest it not come true. (wink, wink) The Man always goes above and beyond for all of life's special occasions. I am blessed to call him mine.


Speaking of The Man, my birthday evening also found a little posing going on with Mr. Handsome. In case you’re wondering who that bespectacled female is, I have two new pairs of specs and decided to try out a pair last night. The girl is getting old. Things are changing.


In case ye think otherwise, it hasn’t been all play around these here parts. On Thursday, I put on my determined face and got my scrapbooking completed for the year 2013. Finito! That still leaves me about a year behind, but I have crazy faith that I will get ‘er done before my granddaughter arrives in February. I've had such faith before, to no avail, but it's been a unique year, so I may skip most of it and only hit the highlights. That should make things move along quickly.

Currently, a golden sun has found us here in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains, the outdoor thermometer registering a pleasant 61-degrees. Wish you were here.


***

13 comments:

  1. I am always so delighted to see a post from you, Dayle. I am glad you are having a good time and it's wonderful that you had a nice birthday even if you weren't with your sister. I am hoping that we can hit some of those places next year when MyHero retires.

    Enjoy every moment of your trip,Dayle...and congrats on getting your 2013 album done! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, I can't wait to read all about your retirement adventures.

      Delete
  2. A belated Happy Birthday! It seems perfect except for Gayle and the rest of your family being absent. :) Your photos are beautiful and such a treasure. That is such a gorgeous area ~ amazing creations by God. Congrats on completing your album!

    Enjoy each moment ~
    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we were in our version of Cloud Nine, too, Dayle!

    Hugs and happy autumn highways,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of my most favorite drives in the world and what a perfect time of the year for it. Happy, happy birthday, Dayle. Looks like it was a special one with your handsome husband. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Dayle! Loved seeing the photos of you and your twin! I've never been to the Smoky Mountains - sounds wonderful, and your photos make me want to pack up our car and head there to catch those leaves turning! I've been making photobooks every year, but never got to the one for 2013, and now 2014 is almost over. You give me hope that maybe I can actually still get them done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Autumn is the Great Smokey Mountains, beautiful!
    Safe travels, my friend.

    Happy Birthday, too!
    Those pictures of you and Gayle are darling. I can tell the two of you have something special between you two.

    Keep up the good work, scrap-booking. So far so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dayle, it looks as though even missing Gayle for your celebration, didn't keep you from having a wonderful birthday! What a splendid time you and The Man must be having...there is NOTHING like the mountains in the fall and your photos are gorgeous. I have worn glasses most of my life so there is nothing that says you have to "old" to wear them...yours look amazing on you, friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated birthday to YOU and your sister! I don't know completely the bond between twins sisters but I do enjoy being to mom to a pair and watching closely the special relationship they share. Love the photos of your girls! Always sweet and adorable :)

    Beautiful couple shots too. What a handsome couple!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Belated Birthday Dayle and to your twin. The pictures you posted are all beautiful and life for you sounds incredible. It's the connection and love that makes us really rich. You are rich!!!!! Smokey Mountains - never been. Now it's on my list of places to visit. Happy rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful setting for a fabulous and special birthday!

    I tried sending you an email, but it was bounced back . . . my blog link for blogrolls has changed. Although it appears I haven't written anything in over a month, I'm actually still here! The new link that (cross my fingers) should work is: www.fairhopesuppy.com/feed
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. I had to Google your blog name to find a good link but I think I got you back now. Sorry about the email bouncing. I have deleted an email address that you may be using.

      Delete
    2. I hope my sidebar will show your updates. Not sure why that's seemingly "stuck."

      Delete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle