Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Naming ~ What will I call her? What will she call me?


Five months after Anna Marie was born, her grandmother suffered a stroke that would leave her paralyzed on her right side. But Mildred was an amazing woman. She never let her disability keep her from being a remarkable MeeMaw to her grandchildren.


She and Anna Marie shared a special bond until Mildred passed away in 1996.

When my daughter asked what I wanted to be called by my soon-to-be-born grandchild, I thought about it, and I didn't have to think long, for I couldn't think of anything I'd rather be called than MeeMaw, in honor of my dear mother-in-law. 

Although I've chosen to spell it differently, I'm looking forward to my new title: Memaw. And, with a new spelling, The Man will be Papaw, just as his father was to his grandchildren.

But ... that leaves us with one unanswered question: What sweet name will I call my granddaughter? 

The question has been asked, and I have the answer for you, right here, right now. First, a little backstory, if anyone is still with me.


When my first-born niece gave birth to my first grand-niece, I didn’t plan it, but somehow Ainsley became my sugar plum. You who are familiar with my blog know what a delight sugar plum is to me. There are no words for how much I love her.


When my second-born niece discovered she was pregnant, the first thing she asked me was what “sweet” name would I call her baby? I told her if it was a girl, she would be my pie. And you who know me know how much joy Audrey, my precious pie, has brought to me. There are no words for how much I love her.


When my daughter announced her pregnancy, she asked what “sweet” name I would call my grandchild. I told her I’d have to wait and see if it was a girl or boy before deciding. Once it was determined to be a girl, I gave it some thought and am happy to announce that my granddaughter will be my cupcake (and Papaw’s, of course). In fact, I'm calling her that already, and I cannot wait to meet her! 

What a sweet life it’s shaping up to be. Sugar plum, pie, and cupcake. I am a blessed woman.

Until next time, dear friends, this Memaw was one busy girl during her month-long holiday. I'll share some of my creations with you in an upcoming post, but here's a sneak preview. 


Whatcha think?


***



22 comments:

  1. I adore everything about this, my friend!
    Simply wonderful...
    My children call my mother Grammie Patches. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if there's ever a salty little boy in your future, he can be, "Chip!"
    What a precious group you are growing. Years of fun await you and your sweeties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your names and your creations. Can't wait to see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cupcake is already a blessed child. I love the crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww...such a sweet post! Unfortunately, blogger is doing something weird at the moment and most everyone's photos are white boxes with a little red X in the corner. I will have to return later to see what I missed! I am Mawmaw and hubby is Pawpaw...a little more "country-fied" her in NC maybe...lol! I love the sweet names you have chosen for these sweet babies :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a very sweet and thoughtful post! My daugthers call there grandma "memaw." It is a great name and fun to hear them say it. I know you are enjoying these precious moments with them! Happy Wednesday, Dayle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable work, Dayle. I'm sure your little cupcake will be a beauty. She will have a very, very loving Memaw. Can't wait to see her! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being a grandmother is the most wonderful thing in the world. I nicknamed mine after they were born and I saw their sweet faces. I think that Cupcake will be a very lucky little girl. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dayle, Oh I just loved this post and the sweet tribute. I love your new name for grandmother and your grand will be so blessed to have you!! A blessed little cupcake!!
    Love your sneak peek of pretties. You are very talented.

    Thank you for stopping by and your kind comment.
    Wishing you a wonderful rest of the week.
    Hugs and Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  10. How blessed your nieces are and your new little granddaughter will be! So sweet to have a special name for them. I will have to keep this in mind for the day when I get to join the grandma ranks :)
    Thank you for your visit Dayle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I think those little crocheted pieces are just darling AND I think that not only are YOU blessed but those that have YOU in THEIR lives are blessed, too. A Sugar Plum a Pie and A Cupcake...all little sweet bits to be eaten up by the eyes and heart. Love it! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such precious blessings and you are to them! There's just nothing like a grandchild.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your heart just might explode with all the love you'll feel the first time you see that grandbaby of yours! I love your sweet names for the babies in your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. SWEET, Cupcake is a perfect nick-name for your first grandchild.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I only recently became a grandmother, and I cannot tell you how much my little fellow fills my heart with joy. Cupcake is a precious name; one I know she will cherish.

    Thank you so much for visiting "Living Life" and commenting. I look forward to getting to know you. I hope you are having a lovely week. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your post brought tears to this Nona's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a "sweet" blog post, Dayle. Such a tribute to your mother-in-law, your grand-nieces, and your soon-to-be-born little granddaughter. All of them are blessed to have a lady like you in their lives.

    Really precious photos!

    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cupcake sounds like the perfect sweet name for your grand daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I love that! My baby girl is doodle bug. I have no reason, it's just what happened. This is one happy BonBon. Oh joy! Love the sweet crocheted pieces. I wish I could give something like that to my babies. I guess it will have to be good enough to give my self.

    ReplyDelete
  20. From tears (reading of Anne Marie singing, "I Just Called to Say I Love You") ... to cheers over here!
    CupCake sounds perfect!
    Won't Sugar Plum and Pie love having a sweet side-kick?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I suggest you add your name to your new title.
    It will be music to your ears . . .
    Memaw Dayle
    Went Cedar and Ezzie call me Grandma Mary it warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle