Monday, December 15, 2014

Monday Musings ~ Reflections

The sun is setting as I type these words, the sky a canvas of soft colors. It’s been a hard day, but Christmas music spills into the room now, leaving me with thoughts of Friday evening, when family gathered in my little dining room for a time of celebrating the birthdays of my niece, Leslie (pie’s mother), and her husband, Justin, who, by the way, is the builder of the two benches you see here—the latest additions to my dining room. I love how they add a farmhouse touch.


Photos by Swindell Photography
Leslie eloped with her prince charming in October. Watching the two of them start a life together fills me with joy. I pray they always hold each other close and never let anything or anyone come between them. The only way to have a long-lasting marriage, and reap the rich rewards that come with it, is for two people to determine to stay together, no matter what. I should know, as I've been married for 34 years.



In a few minutes, I’ll put on a load of laundry and take to the couch where I hope to finish up this ruffle scarf that some "lucky "person will receive at the family Christmas gift swap. We’ve decided Christmas will be simple and small this year, just the way I like it.



Later, as day slips into night, I will sit in silence, with the lights turned low, and take pleasure in the glow of the little pencil tree. I don't recall when this ritual began for me, but I've practiced it during the Christmas season for many years. There's something uplifting about it. No matter how dismal the day may have been, how difficult the tasks, how heavy the load, all of it seems to fade away in the light of the tree.

Until next time, dear friends, may the cares and worries you carry grow dim in the Light of Christmas.


"Joy to the world, the Lord has come."


***


17 comments:

  1. What a warm and wonderful post. The pictures of the bride, groom and pie are all just darling. What a beautiful family. I love the small rituals of Christmas, too, Dayle. They are really what make the season special for me. We, too, are having a simpler Christmas than we have other years......Blessings to you- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello dear Dayle! I agree with Diane, such a warm and wonderful post :)

    The pictures of Leslie and her new husband are so beautiful! And her dress - be still my heart! May you have a wonderful Christmas, sweet lady! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful wedding dress! Much happiness to the couple, and many peaceful, cozy evenings in front of the tree to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry, happy, joyful time of peaceful celebration and cheer. Simplest is best.

    Loved the photos!

    Hugs,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  5. A peaceful post. It leaves me feeling joyful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas, Dayle. Your home looks lovely and merry. A simple Christmas with the focus on the birth of our Savior, Christmas decorations, time with family, the traditional meal and memories full of love would be the perfect Christmas for me. Love and hugs from Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The "elopement" pictures were precious. Congrats to all of them!

    And this, Dayle, just touched my heart today: "...may the cares and worries you carry grow dim in the Light of Christmas."

    Yes, I think of those song lyrics, "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, Look full in His wonderful face, And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, In the light of His glory and grace."

    Indeed.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you, I have done this ritual with the Christmas tree lights just about as long as I can remember. Even when I was a little girl, I would get up long before everyone else, while the house was dark and go downstairs and turn on the tree lights. I would lay there quietly in the glow until the family would start getting up. Christmas can be such a hustle and bustle but it's those quiet moments around the "Light" that I Iong for as well. A beautiful post, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such sweet sentiment, and warm memories you've shared.
    Your home looks inviting and cozy, and just a lovely place to spend Christmas.
    I love the glow of Christmas lights in the evenings, and gazing at our Christmas tree.... so magical.

    Sending you and yours the best Christmas wishes.

    ~K.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And joy to you, dear Dayle. Your home looks so lovely and festive. Isn't wonderful to just be able to sit by the tree and relax isn't it? I LOVE Christmas. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your evening sounds absolutely wonderful! We all need moments of peace to heal the heart and soul. Enjoy your week! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that charming Pie! I so agree with your thoughts on a long lasting marriage.

    I wanted to thank you for your kindness and friendship. My wish is that your holiday season is filled with peace, love and joy.

    May you and yours be blessed with health and happiness in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel the same way about the tree at the end of the day....the calm and peacefulness those glowing lights bring

    ReplyDelete
  14. You just have a way with words. :)
    Have a Merry Christmas Dayle!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your home looks beautiful Dayle. I love to be the last one up with just the tree lights twinkling before bedtime. You are right, there is so much hope and promise in the lights and what they represent. Merry Christmas sweet lady.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am sorry you had a hard day.
    Your words of encouragement always help others so hoping they will comfort you as well.

    . . . the sky a canvas of soft colors {sigh}

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle