Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Scenes from a Blessed Life ~ The New Year is Here

A cold rain fell off and on for days, drenching the land and bringing gray skies.


While the fireplace warmed us, the kitchen smelled of soups and gumbo and chili—foods that lend comfort on those winter days when the sun hides behind leaden clouds.


Just when it seemed the rain would never end, Sunday broke, cold and golden. On my way to church, I stopped and captured this photo of trees and sky and morning. As I pulled away, I said, “Lord, thank you that nothing lasts forever.” That’s a truth we sometimes forget, especially when it's raining.

I set out to ask how your New Year was shaping up, to tell you about mine and how I didn't do the black-eyed peas and cabbage routine this year. I intended to say more, but it's been a busy day, out and about running errands and putting out fires. As I write, it is late. A single lamp burns low and the little clock on my desk ticks away the minutes. 

There is something about the stillness of night that calms the chaos, settling the mind and spirit, preparing the body for rest. Things in my world have been topsy-turvy lately, but in the quiet that surrounds me now, I am filled with peace. Tomorrow is a new day, with new mercies, as they all are, no matter what year is on the calendar.

Until next time, sweet friends, I trust the New Year will be kind to you. Thanks for keeping me company. Your visits add sweetness to my life.

***


13 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you too!!! Looking forward to more of your posts this year. :-)
    Stephanie @ loveolympiajune.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you, sweet lady! May your year be full of God's sweet grace and His precious blessings. I am looking forward to another year of your wonderful blog. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had those gray days of rain, rain and more rain. How we appreciate the cold and sunshine that arrived afterwards! Happy New Year to you, too, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, Dayle. We have had several days of rain and clouds as well but I actually didn't mind them. The sun has been shining bright and clear the past two days but things are about to change...as they always do. Which reminds me of the line in your post “Lord, thank you that nothing lasts forever.” Happy Tuesday, friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Lord thank you that nothing lasts forever" ---wow. I have to really think about that. As usual, I leave here feeling a bit wiser and very grateful that we've somehow met in this bustling virtual world. I've been meaning to stop by and wish you a happy and healthy 2015, my parents were visiting for a week and we had a beautiful time but I'm just now getting back into my blog world again.
    hugs,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year to you, too, dear Dayle.

    Hugs,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started a book the other night. And find that I look forward to reaching for it when I'm showered and in my flannel gown and it's dark outside. Somehow it prepares me for sleep, something a TV or computer simply won't do.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tight hugs to you, my dear wombmate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year, Dayle! I hope the feeling of peace in the evening carries you through your topsy-turvy days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my I love this thought . . .
    Nothing lasts forever. That’s a truth we sometimes forget, especially when it's raining.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Dayle. Your posts add sweetness to my life! Hope things have calmed down and that you are enjoying the new year once again. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. My world is topsy-turvy right now, too. But, thank you for this encouragement today. My grandpa used to say, "This too shall pass." It goes right along with your "Nothing lasts forever."

    Except...our lives and our Lord will last forever! And THAT truth makes all the other stuff fade in comparison!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Remember the Simple Pleasures posts? I still think of yours one week when you were describing the kitchen all put away for the evening after dinner. Washed up and ready for the next day. Simple Pleasures are a great joy of mine.
    We are currently on the upside of "tipsy-turvy". Blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle