Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Bad and the Beautiful

Wednesday, a week ago, I woke before daylight and headed east to meet my mother at her 8:00 medical appointment. My parents live two hours from me, and the road between us is one well-traveled.



It was a rich and tender day, and made me ache a little in my heart as it unfolded. From watching the sun’s first light peeking out from a layer of clouds, to relaxing in the familiar rooms of my parents’ home; from reading the daily prayer in the newspaper, to my sad attempt at taking a group selfie, it was a day I knew I would remember.

As I drove home, the nagging cough I'd noticed that morning, the one I figured was allergies, had not let up. With much to do on the calendar for January, I chided myself all the way home, with useless words like: I can't get sick. I don't have time to be sick. What is UP with this cough?

You see, peeps, I had intended to enter January in gangbuster fashion, more out of necessity than desire, but sometimes our plans go awry and by Thursday evening, I was prostrate on the sofa, a raging fever, an aching body, the worst headache I've had in many a moon, and debilitating fatigue. This was not allergies and no common cold. From all I'd read and know, having experienced it once in my lifetime, I knew I was battling the flu, and there's nothing to do but hunker down.


Thank the good Lord for a husband who knows how to take care of sick people. The next three days were borderline blurry, night running into day. Between moans and groans and blowing my nose, I cradled chicken broth that I couldn't taste, too weak to even read. By Monday—thank the Lord—I knew the worst was over. I saw the doctor on Tuesday for lingering symptoms and she gave me a Z-pack for good measure. Fingers crossed.

Now that you've heard the bad news, I'm still planning to be at my daughter's baby shower on Saturday, even if I have to wear a mask. It'll be a small lunch event, just family and a few of her close friends. She's excited. I'm excited. There'll be food and cake. Need I say more?

The due date is still six weeks away, if things go according to plan, but I'm anxious for my granddaughter (the one I'll call cupcake) to make her GRAND entrance. I can't wait to meet her! And—oh!cupcake has an official name now.



I'm in love with it, with her. 


Until next time, dear friends, thanks for hanging out with me. I've missed visiting you in blogland, but now you know where I've been and what I've not been doing.


***


20 comments:

  1. I once took a beautiful autumn sail on a giant catamaran named "Arabella" in Martha's Vineyard!

    Glad you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I am SO sorry you have had the flu. It is something I have never had (nor do I want) This pneumonia was/is bad enough but at least I didn't feel "sick" with it. I certainly hope you are done and well on your way to feeling 100% again.

    I certainly hope your parents don't come down with the flu. It is so hard on the elderly and I know you must have thought about that also..

    Have fun at the shower. That is SO exciting. There is nothing like a new baby-especially that first granddaughter! I LOVE the name!!!!! Blessings to you. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're over the worst of the flu. I just love the baby's name and I cannot wait for lots of pictures when she arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Dayle...So sorry. So very, very sorry you have been down and out. Thank GOODNESS you will be better for the shower on Saturday.

    I love the name....very pretty and different! She will, indeed, be a sweet little cupcake.

    Take good care, my friend. No more flu! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dayle! Congratulations on the coming birth of your precious granddaughter! Nothing like grandchildren. And her name is so delicate and feminine, it's great to know ahead of time her name.
    I'm so sorry about your flu. Ugh. It's supposed to be running rampant in our area. When I was in the hospital, the nurses aide was telling me that she'd never seen so many cases, and how serious they were. I'm glad your husband could take care of you through your darkest days. Good thing all is well now, and you can attend the shower!
    Take care of yourself,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Dayle, I'm sorry to hear you got that awful flu. So far I have been able to escape it although after bragging to someone a few weeks ago that I hadn't even had a cold in two years...well, need I say more? Gladly it was just that...a cold. I am so glad you are on the road to recovery. Little cupcake's "real" name is so very pretty. Enjoy every moment of that shower on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are a bit better today, dear twin sis. I hate being sick, and I hate you being sick. Cupcake's name sounds like a perfect fit to me. Can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to learn you had to travel that awful, achy road, Dayle! Try not to do too much too quickly, OK?
    Arabella Marie is a beautiful name for a beautiful new soul.... can't wait to 'meet' her in cyber space! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear you have been suffering from the flu. Keeping my fingers crossed you are well soon. I adore your cupcake's official name...Arrabella Marie is beautiful. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. REST and rest more, don't let it come back. if you feel it coming be proactive... these bugs are nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear you've been battling the flu. Praying you feel back to your old self soon. Rest as much as you can! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that name. Soo pretty. It's getting close now. Soo exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you make it to the shower! I'm sure you're determined and that the flu won't dare stick around any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep taking good care of yourself and not doing. Prayers for you to enjoy a lovely baby shower. What a happy day!

    Arabella Marie. Pure preciousness, A.M.

    Hugs,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you are feeling 100% back to yourself, Dayle. My son had the flu last week, too. Enjoy the baby shower! What a beautiful name for the new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad to hear that you are much better!!! AND .... what a beautiful name for a precious little one ....!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to hear you are on the mend.
    I love your mom peaking at the corner of your selfie. She has a wonderful smile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you are feeling better Dayle! And love the name Arabella...there is a sweet little girl at our church with that name too. :-)
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I'm so glad you're better now. The flu is a nasty thing, isn't it? I hope your parents are doing well.
    Baby shower! So exciting. And I love Cupcakes official name. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. love your opening line; 'it was a rich and tender day'. Perfectly describes the feeling as I watched the sky shed its darker robes for something light and softer.

    the flu has been hounding this area too! It feels so good to feel good after being sick, doesn't it?! we take health so for granted even when we don't mean to.

    ...love the baby's name!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle