Monday, February 23, 2015

A Serendipitous Sunday ~ Monday Musings


As I write, it is Sunday afternoon, the skies overcast, the air misty, cooling down yet again in these parts. This day has not gone according to my normal Sunday schedule, but it’s been a good weekend—from yesterday, visiting with my dear parents, to today, sharing leftover roast-beef with my daughter, and taking ginger ale and throat meds to my ailing twin sister (prayers appreciated for her).

The best part of the day came earlier, when I stepped outside with my little camera to capture a few shots of the rosebush, the one that has been showing off for weeks now. I was at once amazed by the silence that greeted me. It seemed as if the whole world was off taking a nap somewhere. No traffic. No neighbors out and about. Just the healing sound of silence that I need so often. I was surprised to find it here, on a Sunday afternoon.

I don’t know about you, but it is in moments of stillness that my spirit is renewed, that my faith is strengthened. Try as I might, I cannot find these necessities in noisy settings, whether it be a church service, a friend gathering, or even a family event. I find them only in stillness.

So, as I stood under a gray February sky, just me and the roses, in a serendipitious moment of stillness, I closed my eyes and let the silence sink deep into my soul. For a second, I wondered if God had ordained that I step outdoors and into the quiet afternoon. I don’t know. Maybe He did. 

This thought swept fully through me, reminding me of the words in James 1:17: “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no instability, neither shadow of turning.” The unexpected silence. The roses. Gifts from the Father. But that is not all. In a world that constantly changes, He, the Father of lights, remains always the same.

As I turned back to the house, the words of an old hymn welled up in me, and I wanted to share them with you here, dear friends:

"Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee,
Thou changest not, Thy compassions they fail not,
As Thou hast been, Thou forever wilt be.

Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me!

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thine own great presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside."


Lyrics penned in 1923 by Thomas O. Chisholm.


Until next time, sweet kindred spirits, may you encounter serendipitous moments of stillness this week, to renew your spirit and strengthen your heart.

***


18 comments:

  1. Good morning!
    Such lovely words and photo to greet me as I sip my morning coffee.
    I too find comfort and peace in stillness.
    Yesterday at Mass, our priest asked us to find stillness this Lent.
    He suggested that in those moments, God reaches us and fills us with his Grace.
    Have a wonderful, cozy Monday! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful pictures. I am sorry your sister is ill-sending up a prayer for quick recovery.
    I, too, do best in stillness. I often drive in the car with no music on-just the quiet hum of tires beneath me. I find silence soothing. We are assaulted by noise on so many levels in everyday life that sometimes silence is just a pure blessing.
    Hope you have a wonderful week, Dayle. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth..." Oh, what a precious song! Yes, great is Thy faithfulness! Thank you for sharing this beautiful post - the words touched my heart and your rose was a joy to look at. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is also one of my favorite hymns...and those precious, fleeting moments of quiet are also what keep my spirit in sync with The Spirit. LOVE special moments like these :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Dayle, for this. It means so much to me. Exactly what I needed this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel closer to God in the outdoors. I always have.

    I hope your sister feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. God put the verses about every good and perfect gift coming down from the Father of lights in my heart this morning. Then I came here and read it. Yes, God ordained it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so amazed you actually have a real live flower! Here we have cold and snow.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the hymn. In these days of LOUD contemporary music in the church, it is heartwarming to remind myself of those precious old hymns of the past. Your post brought joy to my soul. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, silence is where I find healing from a busy day, a busy life... a tattered soul. Yesterday's sermon was about finding time out of our busy days to find silence. Hugs! Enjoy the week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snow quilts everything and sound becomes almost muffled. It's been wonderfully quiet here, though I would rather have your roses than my snow. What a refreshing God breeze you experienced. The hymn is one of my favorites. I did not realize that it was written so recently, relatively speaking. Praying that your sis is feeling much better soon. So much of this sickness going around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good evening from the Canadian Plains. A lovely hotel suite, quite and we're sleepy. Ahh.

    Hugs,
    Kelley!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yesterday's sermon was one that I couldn't connect with at all - very wordy and full of theory. I found my Sunday peace on the beach. Me, the water, the wind and God. I'm glad you found yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How I love those moments when all is still and you feel the gentle presence of a very mighty God. You have described it soo perfectly. LOVE that hymn. It's getting soo close to the time you will hold that grandbaby in your arms. It will be a moment like no other. Soo happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stopped by for encouragement. You never let me down.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely, Dayle. I always enjoy your moments of stillness - they bless me.

    Yesterday we had a quiet snowfall - the kind with big, fluffy snowflakes. And it was so beautiful. I was reminded, once again, that God is great and His love and faithfulness endures forever.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved this post, Dayle. It's true that we find Him in silence. "Be still and know that I am God." As I grow older, the need for silence becomes even more pronounced. Your rose is divine. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is probably my favorite hymn. I know every word to every stanza - except the third, 'casue I grew up Baptist and we always skipped that one! (ha).
    Beautiful thoughts as always!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle