Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Conquering Odd Places ~ The 4-drawer chest that stole my heart

The last few years found me wanting to change up this odd little space. The way it’s positioned, to the left of one of the sofas, and in front of the built-in bookshelves, posed a real challenge to find something that didn't impede the cabinets of the built-ins and didn't stick out too far into the room. 

When I discovered I was going to have a granddaughter, I began a serious look for a chest-of-drawers to fill the space. It’s always my goal to find something both practical and pretty, not to mention useful. It definitely had to be something used, something with a history, and in good condition. And I didn't want to shell out big bucks. Even more important, though, the size had to be just right.


After looking high and low, north and south, east and west (you have no idea), and even after buying something I thought would work, but was too tall and too deep, I came upon this beauty in a local vintage store. The price-tag said $399 and, quite frankly, that made me shiver. It was way over what I'd hoped to spend, but the measurements told me it would be perfect. And I knew it would be. 


I asked the proprietor for her best price and she came down $100, which, $300 wasn’t terrible, as the piece was in excellent shape and Camille's distressed painting is always exquisite, but it was still more than I wanted to spend.

So I went home and slept on the matter for three nights.


In the end, however, I was quite smitten. I knew it was the "perfect" piece for the space, so I laid down the money and brought it home. I've been in love ever since. 

The drawers work perfectly and the bottom drawer (which looks like two drawers from the outside) is quite deep. I envision it being useful for storing a few toys down the road. The chest is now filled with all sorts of baby blankets and quilts and clothes and will be put to good use for many years to come.



I wanted to create a monochromatic look, so I painted and distressed the frame holding a picture of my paternal grandparents, adding the little fondant shoes from my daughter's baby shower cake as a whimsical touch.





Most of the other items were things from around the house. 



 The only thing I went out and purchased was the little white pitcher—for $5.00.


I think the mirror I bought from my niece’s shop several years ago goes perfectly on the wall, complimenting the chest-of-drawers, while completing the space.



The odd little space now has a new look. Truth is, I don't mind going a little over my budget for pieces that I love, for pieces that will go the distance, because I know I'll get my money's worth in the long-run.

***

Linking with:





13 comments:

  1. I love that the bottom drawer is deep. I kept thinking, that's five drawers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "chester drawers" are perfect! It will be easy to play the "pick-up" game when toys come along. My husband built similar deep drawers for that very purpose. It was magic. Boom-boom-boom . . . clean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! I especially like your carefully arranged crochet doilies that make me want to go raid my mother's hope chest!
    Lovin' this photo of your Cupcake and Sugar Plum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Won't that grandchild think they are special to have their own place for toys? Great idea.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Someday it may be in her home and then won't that bit of extra money seem like nothing!?:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely transformation! It's just perfect. I know what you're talking about - the hunt, the discovery, and then the *inner chat* with the wallet! I have also purchased some more expensive pieces, but they are still some of my favorites!

    Cupcake is going to love this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Dayle, it's perfect! Absolutely perfect. I love it. Great job. So happy for you. And SO HAPPY for little cupcake's arrival. She is a real beauty. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a beautiful little piece, Dayle...and someday, just think, you can pass it along to Cupcake as a "memory piece". I love the finish on it....and you have styled it beautifully. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! It's perfect! I had a very similar set for Melody when she was about 3 until she was almost 13! I kept it and eventually gave it to one of my grand daughters...oh the memories. I just read your previous post too. What a little beauty she is! I bet your heart is just overflowing and spilling out all over. Such a precious time! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand why you brought this lovely set of drawers home.
    Perfect show place for your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a beautiful piece and it looks lovely with all your things :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle