Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Postcards from the Road ~ Less Thinking More Feeling on The Island

Dear friends, we’ve been on The Island since Saturday. It is a destination not far from home, one I've blogged about many times in the past. It is here The Man and I often come for a quick escape, whenever life gets heavy, or we just need a change of scenery. And it is here we come when time is short, when duties at home keep us close.


This time, we brought a few loved ones along with us, to see and hear and do all of the things that come natural on The Island—sun, fun, water, sand, food, relaxation. 


Watching my granddaughter's response, when her mommy placed her tiny feet in the water for the first time, was pure joy for me. I believe I laughed out loud. From the expression on cupcake's face, I'd say she's a natural beach bum.


In the night hours, to see my daughter and her daughter sleeping under a quilt made by the hands of my mother ... no words.


I have soaked up these sunny moments for safekeeping, making memories to recall in the years ahead, because life is uncertain. We never know what a day will bring or what will be required of us.

But enough of my thoughts. There are times when I think too much, and thinking too much can leave the brain weary and the heart unhinged. So, this morning I decided it would be a day to think less and feel more, a day to see fully and let my mind take a break.

It's Wednesday morning as I type, and here’s what I’ve felt and seen so far today:

There was drinking down that first cup of coffee, a pleasure that never gets old. There was a sigh at the discovery of a heartwarming story in my Inbox, the kind that inspires you to be a better person. 

There were the warm tears that rolled down my cheeks whenever I came across dozens of photos on my laptop of two beloved people who have been taken from me, without warning or explanation. It’s been said that the saddest goodbyes are those never spoken or explained. Somehow, the heart must go on, but until we are together again, there will be empty spaces that no one else can fill, an ache that no one else can heal.


Outside, I saw the beach in the distance, felt the sun’s warmth on my skin, and the wind that whipped my hair about my face. 


There was the chatter of seagulls, and the collection of seashells, gathered with my bonus grandson, now filling up a cardboard boat on the picnic table, a perfect souvenir for him to take home.


Our time here is coming to a close. Yesterday, as the sun softened, leaving pastel ribbons around the horizon, I thought of the sea and how it speaks to me in a thousand ways. I believe it is the call of the Creator that draws us all to nature, for it is there that God’s handiwork can be seen from every vantage point, breathtaking and soothing all at once. God's art gallery. His museum. Nothing can match it.

As I sat on the beach, listening to the murmur of the waves rushing in and flowing out, they reminded me to not dwell on things that weigh me down, but to gently ponder them, to faithfully pray about them, and then, to release them again, to hold all things loosely, always with gratitude and love.

Until next time, dear friends, may your summer be sweet, your joy complete. Thanks for keeping me company here.

***

Linking up with Mrs. Olson
and Best of the Weekend


13 comments:

  1. From one of my favorite poems, you've reminded me . . . "for whatever we've lost, like a you or a me, it's always ourselves we find in the sea."

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great quote. Thanks for sharing it.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I love sea-quotes... Divine!

      The memories you've made. Can't wait to be on my islands again!

      May you always have a seashell in your pocket and sand between your toes,
      Kelley~

      Delete
  2. I love that quote too...and yours(a state I fear I live in at times)...' thinking too much can leave the brain weary and the heart unhinged.
    Your pictures and words bring vacation happiness to my kitchen this morning, Enjoy because yes, we never know what a day will bring!

    There Is Pleasure In The Pathless Woods


    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more,
    From these our interviews, in which I steal
    From all I may be, or have been before,
    To mingle with the Universe, and feel
    What I can ne'er express, yet cannot all conceal.

    George Gordon Byron~

    (hoping for a taste of this next week with the family;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the way you write
    . . . a quick escape, whenever life gets heavy
    . . . when time is short, when duties at home keep us close.
    . . . making memories to recall in the years ahead
    . . . we never know what a day will bring or what will be required of us.
    . . . there will be empty spaces that no one else can fill, an ache that no one else can heal.
    . . . as the sun softened, leaving pastel ribbons around the horizon,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bringing up the next generation of beach bums is an important job! She is so cute, Dayle. I'm glad you're releasing those burdens to the Lord. He wants them even when we hold them close.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From a fellow *think-aholic* I understand the need to escape those constant thoughts and just *be.* The Island sounds like a wonderful getaway. Such fun to read your words and soak in your joy-full photos!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's just no better place than the sea to put your worries to rest. Lovely post, Dayle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good when you can give your mind a rest from thinking, thinking, thinking. Easier said than done, though. I always find the sea to be so calming. Cupcake has got the sweetest little face!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfectly delightful column, Dayle. Loved it. I could feel the salty air and wind on my face. (Wish I were really there!) True, true that we must savor each second. The grands are darling. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dayle, cherished moments for sure! Precious baby and mom and that toes in the water smile is just priceless! I love it when we are able to share God's beauty with those we love. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and I share a deep love of the sea. I feel God's nearness there and always find it easier to cast my cares on His more than capable shoulders when I am looking at the beautiful, endless expanse of ocean He created.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for linking up at Best of the Weekend, Dayle!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle