Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Scenes from a Blessed Life ~ Weekend Report and Such

It is Monday evening as I write. My hands have been in the dirt today. When circumstances lay heavy on me, I find solace in touching the earth. The psalmist said, “The earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof.” Whether a few minutes or a few hours, time spent in my little garden is like a salve to my soul, a balm to my spirit.

***

How was your holiday weekend?


Photos were scarce, but mine was filled with family and friends ...

With scrapbooking ...


And playing peek-a-boo.


As I watched Old Glory waving in the breeze on Saturday, the 239th birthday of the United States of America, I couldn’t help but wonder how many of us—without using Google—could readily state what Independence Day is all about, and I wondered how long it had been since we read the full text of “The Unanimous Declaration of the Thirteen United States of America,” the document we know as, “The Declaration of Independence.” I wondered if any of our children and grandchildren are aware of what happened to the 56 signers of this document. They risked it all, and some lost it all. Certain parts of this sacred document are etched in my brain, but it had been years since I read the full text, so I read it again and came away moved and saddened, all at the same time. But more than anything, I came away grateful to God for allowing me to be born in the greatest country on earth, where the founders believed in Divine Providence, where, in order to break away from tyranny, the 56 signers of “The Declaration of Independence” risked it all and pledged their “lives, fortunes, and sacred honor” to each other. It was no small thing and it came with great sacrifice. To God be the glory that 239 years later, we are still the United States of America!


Night has fallen as I type these words, a gentle breeze blowing through the wind-chime out back. The moon is a few hours from appearing over the horizon making its steady rise, silently proclaiming the majesty of the Creator. I have just returned from spending precious time with my sisters and one of my nieces. As we sat together, drinking coffee and sharing conversation, my heart overflowed with gratitude. Life isn’t perfect. It’s fleeting and often filled with sorrow, but I still find each day too short for counting all of my blessings.


Until next time, dear friends, no matter your story, or the path you’re walking, may we not lose sight of the golden moments that make it all worthwhile.

***




.

11 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, Dayle. Your sweet grandbaby is a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful post with adorable photos. Enjoy your week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I let out a chuckle when "we" were playing peek-a-boo! I could just nibble those laughing cheeks through the screen! Oh! The treasures of enjoyable moments you are banking up! So happy for you!

    Yes, we all too often call Independence Day "July the 4th." Help me, Lord... I'm guilty. God has been so good to us, hasn't He? May I be intentional in remembering His goodness and the price so many paid for my freedoms.

    Hugs and happy highways,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love my yard therapy as you well know! Cupcake is just precious and I'd so like to meet her! We must plan our sister friends visit. I love your post and the pictures. And, I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen., Dayle, Amen. Sometimes it is all we can do-grab those golden moments and hold on to them for dear life to get us through the rough patches.
    Your words are as wonderful as always - and so are your pictures. Precious little cupcake is growing and changing already. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arabella looks so much like her mama! Isn't it surreal to hold that little darling in your arms?
    My daddy said the same thing to me on Independence Day. He said most people stopped on the street would not be able to tell you why we celebrate "July 4th". It's his little pet peeve. I love him for it.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks and sounds as if you had a very pleasant 4th of July!

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  8. That baby is so precious. Yes, we should all take the time to realize how precious our time is with loved ones. Things can change so quickly. So glad you got to be with your family.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh... she is adorable.
    Filling your time with family and friends, there isn't a better way to spend your time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an adorable child - I could pinch those precious cheeks.

    My heart, too, is heavy with some situations. But, thank you for the reminder to look for the touches of His Grace in the middle of suffering.

    GOD BLESS.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Dayle. Just read your precious post. The baby? Gorgeous. You are so right that each moment is a precious jewel. Susan

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle