Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Take Time to Just Breathe and our 35th Anniversary

Dear friends, in the midst of a sizzling summer, the rain finally came yesterday. Not the downpour we needed, but enough to wet the earth and fill the cracks. For weeks, I had yearned for it, hoped for it, and, when it came, I couldn’t resist raising a window, the rhythm like music to my ears.

August is a busy month—family birthdays on both sides of the family, and one very special anniversary.


The Man's family gathered for an afternoon of fun in the sun recently, celebrating summer birthdays. The event found our darling Arabella (aka cupcake) meeting some of her relatives for the first time. She made a splash and took home the prize for best swimsuit, wouldn't you say?


A week ago, we drove over to my mom and dad’s place so they could enjoy a little time with cupcake. Two hours there and two hours back makes for a very long day, but to see the smiles on their faces made it worthwhile. I know they won’t be here always and seeing their great-grands brings them so much joy.


Well, well ... The Man and I celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary over the weekend. For the life of me, I don't know how it can be 35 years already, but there it is and here we are. 



We interrupt this blog post to say we've changed just a teeny-weeny bit since this photo was taken.

Moving on ... 

On Wednesday, we climbed aboard Cloud Nine and traveled to one of our favorite places, the charming San Antonio—the same place where we spent our honeymoon all those years ago. I’ve posted a number of times about the lovely Alamo City, but I don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned the Tower of the Americas



The Tower of the Americas has an interesting history, dating back to the 1968 HemisFair. We’ve dined in the revolving restaurant several times, and it’s always a first-class treat. The best plan is to reserve a table about 30 minutes prior to sunset. That way you get the city views by day and by night—breathtaking, both.

Even though we couldn't stay gone from home for long, our time away served us well. My spirit had been needing space for awhile, space to decompress, if only for a few days, to let go of the things that drain my mental energy, that weigh heavy on my heart. 

Through the years, I’ve learned to listen, to take heed when my body and spirit prompt me to do, or not do, something. Perhaps that’s why people walk around in a steady dismal state—they don’t listen to their heart, to what their spirit is telling them. 


It’s natural to put off what we know we need to do, simply because it’s not convenient, but sometimes you have to step away from the tight places and take time to just breathe, to gaze skyward, to stretch your arms wide, to place your feet firmly on the ground. It isn’t a magic potion; your problems won’t disappear. But time away can offer clarity and strength, renewed hope, and peace. Wonderful peace.


Until next time, sweet friends, I wish for you gentle moments and soft words. Thanks for keeping me company here. 

***

17 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend and a busy August thus far. Love the wedding pic...I had some glasses very similar to The Man's back the 70's too. My hubby and I had our 39th the day before yours...nothing too exciting other than visiting a local antique store and eating at Olive Garden. Maybe we will do something really cool next year on our 40th :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A happy anniversary to you
    A happy anniversary to you
    May you find Jesus near
    Every day of the year
    A happy anniversary to you
    A happy anniversary to you
    And the best year you've ever had!

    Love,
    Kelley~
    Letters Unfolded

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the best swimsuit, hands down! Priceless photos of Cupcake and the Great-Grands!
    Happy Anniversary! It does seem like yesterday, doesn't it? Ethan graduates in 2020. That sounded so strange when I first said it. Now it's only five years away!
    I'm going to make sure Donnie and I get away for a few days this year. You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! The pic of the swimming pool is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela. That is actually one of the water features in the Tower of the Americas complex. It is fabulous, yes.

      Delete
  5. Happy Anniversary! May God bless you with many more years and events that you can use to share glimpses of his mercy...and keep coo!! No. Shakespeare definitely did not live in Texas:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well it certainly looks like a wonderful August soo far. Cupcake is getting soo big already..she's soo cute! Happy anniversary to you both! 35 years is certainly worth celebrating! I love your wedding picture! You looked soo gorgeous and happy. How right you are tool....sometimes a step away for a couple of days is just the right thing to do. Hope the rest of your week is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 35 to both of you. that is amazing...and something to really be over the moon proud of. And little Arabella aka Cupcake is sweet as can be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary! Glad you have been having a good month. Sometimes we don't realize until we get away how much we needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it when others celebrate their special day.
    Here's to you and The Man!
    Looks like a great get-a-way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy (belated) Anniversary wishes and may you have many more. - I loved seeing your wedding photo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy going - on 36, Dayle and Stan! Love Cupcake ' s bikini, and it's especially nice to see your parents looking so well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Dear Dayle. Late congrats on your anniversary. So happy for you and your sweetheart. Cupcake is darling. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary you cute things! Love both the before and now photos. Hubby and I celebrated our 43rd on Aug. 4th. We just took a little road trip to OR We usually go somewhere for our anniversary. I bet your parents were thrilled to see cutie pie cupcake! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Anniversary! Time flies. Hubby and I had our 25th this year. Glad you were able to get away for a bit as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best advice ever - take time to just breathe.
    We were married one year earlier than you (8/11/79) and also wonder where the time has gone.
    Congratulations - a little late.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle