Monday, September 28, 2015

Monday Musings ~ A Time to Rest

In the late hours of night, when the house is still, I retreat to my office and close the door, breathing in the quiet I’ve craved all day. It is here, in this room, surrounded by so much that makes me who I am, who I’ve been, that my thoughts and words and emotions come together. Sometimes, words come effortlessly, rhythmically, like dancers gliding across the ballroom floor. Other times, I lean my head against the back of a chair, the words swirling and spinning in a cacophony of fragmented thoughts, all over the place, too scattered to come together in a cohesive way.

And then there are times when words get stuck in my throat, when I’m forced to sob them out into the air, where they rise to the ceiling, then settle into the corners of the room, to visit me again on another day.

Thoughts. Words. Emotions. We are made up of these things.

Lately, my thoughts and words and emotions have been pondering how life simply takes a lot out of us, sometimes taking more than it gives, and how finding places of rest is essential for body, mind, and spirit. 

We all know what it's like when life gets heavy, when unexpected burdens fall on us. In those times, the heart is overloaded, feet like concrete blocks, from the added weight. In such times, rest is needed for unloading, for ridding the heart of excess baggage, for emptying out.

And then there are times when life is desolate, barren, the music silent. In those times, the heart aches to be whole again, to hear music again, to glimpse a ray of hope. In the barren times, rest is needed for filling up, for finding beauty, for replenishing.

Rest is not a sign of weakness or surrender or laziness. Rest is a necessity and without it, the fire seeps out of our spirit and leaves us shriveled and depleted. The journey becomes harder and longer.

No time to rest, you say?

It is possible, I believe, to slip into a room, or step out into a sunny day, or starry night, if only for a few minutes, and come away with a rested mind and a peaceful heart. Isaiah 26:3 tells us how: “He will keep in perfect peace all who trust in him, all whose thoughts are fixed on him.” In John 14:27, Jesus said: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you: not as the world gives. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." And then we find this invitation in Matthew 11:28: “Come to me, all of you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. ” 

Dear friends, as I write, night has deepened. The laundry has been folded and put away, the dishwasher hums its evening song. From somewhere inside, I feel strength rising for tomorrow’s demands. I know I am up for whatever the day will hold, as long as my burdens, my thoughts, and my trust are in the right place.

Until next time, sweet kindred spirits, thanks for sharing this quiet space of reflection with me. It means ever so much.


***


17 comments:

  1. May this day go well for having focused on The One Who will go with you through it. This was written so beautifully...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i need this time to rest... and i need to just let out my emotions, too... i have been holding back a sob or two... i love that your rest strengthened you for the tomorrows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, I find holding in those emotions only leads to aches and pains. I believe God gave us tears for a reason, mainly an escape valve. While sobs can't solve problems, they do help relieve the pressure sometimes.

      Delete
  3. Resting in the Lord is my favorite place to be. Thank you for writing these beautiful words,my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debby. There's no real rest outside of the Lord, is there?

      Delete
  4. I must start resting in the Lord. I'm sure that would calm life's storms and heartaches. How I long for the peace and rest that only He can give. Thanks for your post today. It was for me. Love you, Sister-Friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you, sister/friend. We need to make time to see each other.

      Delete
  5. Dayle, your thoughts are so beautiful and so exquisitely put to paper. Loved this post.

    And Arabella? A living doll baby. Ohhhhh, how I LOVE to see that sweet little face. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, you're so kind. We certainly think our Arabella is a "living doll," as you put it. Children are such a blessing from the Lord, doubly so the second time around.

      Delete
  6. I love that you take us with you, into your personal office. What a peaceful place to ponder things, pray, rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love shutting the doors and collapsing into the big chair.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful. My heart finds it so difficult to rest lately. Life has been full of turmoil and challenges. I constantly pray for the Lord to flood me with HIS peace, so that even when life is full of stormy skies and raging waters, I can find rest underneath the shadow of His wings.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sharon, I'm with you on the turmoil and challenges. It seems the last two years have brought a lot of storms our way. Everything I write is mainly a reminder to myself of how to find sweet relief and peace, even in the midst of a storm.

      Delete
  8. Just those steps you take putting your home to bed in preparation for the next day can be relaxing and refreshing. I never underestimate the gift of a quiet moment. Thank you for this thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just enough time to take a deep breath and remember the blessings in the midst of life's storms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully expressed, Dayle! It's amazing what a few minutes of peace and quiet can do. I need to work on that.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle