Monday, October 26, 2015

Scenes from the Smoky Mountains, and Condo Living

Last Thursday, twin sister and I drove through parts of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, a must-do if you're ever in the area. Even though autumn hasn't fully arrived in places, the photos below tell a tale of beauty and wonder.










Whenever The Man and I travel to the Smokies, we stay in Cloud Nine, our affectionately named motorhome, but whenever I've traveled to the Smokies with either, or both, of my sisters, we've stayed in a mountain-side, or mountain-top, log cabin. The views from a higher elevation are amazing, but the drive up there can be a bit nerve-wracking, especially after dark.

This year, twin sister and I decided we would try staying in a condo in town and we were happy with our choice. Although one of the bedrooms could use an upgraded mattress, this particular location was a win-win, as it is situated conveniently on the Parkway in Pigeon Forge, and the views from our seventh-floor balcony were simply gorgeous and can be seen below. 

Mornings were bright and sun-drenched.


One morning, I awoke before daylight. There in the stillness I reminded the Lord of the things laying heavy on my mind, things of which wounded hearts are made. I stepped out just as day was breaking, and when I looked up, there, suspended in the morning sky, was my favorite planet, the brilliant Venus, with Jupiter close by. I grabbed my camera and captured this image, to remind myself that God can do anything, above and beyond what we can ask or think. 



Every day brought a little more color to the foothills just outside our condo.



On our final evening, the sunset's reflection painted the mountain in autumn's palette, while a half-moon inched upward, beginning its nightly watch.


Later, the mountain cabins in the distance glimmered like tiny gold boxes.

Until next time, dear friends, may autumn's beauty find you wherever you are.

***
Linking with
Best of the Weekend

17 comments:

  1. Having grown up on the beach, I'm fascinated by the mountains. I realized that the Smokie Mts. are one place many, many generations of my family have visited over the years. It feels so good to stand there and know those who have come before me have also stood and admired God's power and majesty in the same spot!
    You captured some gorgeous images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place, Dayle. What a blessing, too, that you can share it with your sister-another bonding that makes you even closer, I'm sure. When I am in places like that I am reminded not only of God's beauty but also how small I am in the big picture.
    I am sorry your heart is heavy- I will keep you in my prayers. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing these beautiful moments with us, Dayle. Basking in the majesty of our Maker does the heart and soul good like nothing else. Enjoy the rest of your time in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, Dayle, that was most ethereal. When our hearts are breaking, looking up always helps, doesn't it? Knowing He is in charge is comforting. He is in control. He will make everything right, in His own time. Lovely post....writing AND photography. Thank you for sharing such loveliness. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dayle, what a beautiful setting in which to celebrate the precious gift of sisterhood! Thanks for sharing your most lovely photos. They were a breath of fresh air to me today!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post.. God Bless you...Be still and know he is always with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We will be traveling through Knoxville on Saturday en-route to Florida so will surely need to make a side trip to the park. Thanks for the beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dayle! The Smokies are definitely on my short list of places to visit. My daughter says Gatlinburg is a beautiful place, and the Smokies are in driving distance? Your new condo rental sure did look like a winner. I was just amazed at your photo of the morning sky, I could see Jupiter and Venus! When I take photos hoping to get a frame like that, seems like it never works out.
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful location. I know you had fun with your sis!
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We prefer Pigeon Forge over Gatlinburg, but they are very close together and the Smokies can be seen all around the areas. Entry to the National Park is within a few miles of each city, as well. The Park is massive. This area is just a few miles of it. Last year, The Man and I went to Clingmans Dome, which is also very close to both Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. It's the highest point in the Smokies. If interested, look under my label: Great Smoky Mountains.

      Delete
  9. Oh, these are just gorgeous photos! What a beautiful place to visit this time of year. On our recent trip to Hawaii we went up to see the sunrise over a volcano, and saw Venus, Jupiter and Mars. So cool to think of you in Tennessee and me in Hawaii, worshipping the same Creator God.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such wondrous photos. Beautiful! Our autumn has been exquisite here too. I feel like I want to stand there with my mouth open as I try to drink in all the splendid vistas, large and small.

    I'm so glad you got to see the beautiful Venus on that morning. May your heart be lighter.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Dayle...a goal for me is to one day visit the Smokey Mountains. Your pictures capture their beauty and makes me even more want to visit the area. I hope you carry what you've taken away from your visit for a long time. Happy Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a beautiful time to travel in the mountains and you saw some nice Fall colors! Enjoy your weekend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. These photos are STUNNING!!! so are some lines; things of which wounded hearts are made... the sunset's reflection painted the mountain in autumn's palette, while a half-moon inched upward, beginning its nightly watch... Later, the mountain cabins in the distance glimmered like tiny gold boxes...and you say you're not a poet?!!! Methinks you is;-)
    Hugs and prayers for hope and healing of heart-wounds(())

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was a wonderful trip with my wonderful twin. I LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle