Monday, November 23, 2015

Darkness Can't Hold a Candle to the Light ~ Monday Musings


Dear friends, there comes a point in every night when the sky begins to change. Like the slow rising of a black curtain on a stage, a hint of light can be seen around the horizon as darkness begins to lift.

And so it is in life. Trials may leave us stumbling in the dark, blinded by worries and fears, but there comes a point when the curtain starts to rise, when we stand up, square our shoulders, fix our jaw, and fan the flame that is in us. Onward!

There’s an undeniable fact of life: A single light will always dispel the darkness. As long as there is just one candle burning, darkness will never be dark enough to extinguish the light. It’s an impossibility! But light ... light will always overcome the darkness. How comforting that is.

It's true that some nights are longer than others, darker than others, but as I write, morning has dawned. The sun has cleared the horizon, the birds are up and singing. I believe mornings are God’s way of assuring us that the night will end, that hard times won’t last forever, that sorrow will turn into song, that the light of the Lord that burns within us will drive away the deepest fears, the gravest worries, the darkest night.

Until next time, dear ones, shine on!


***

You, LORD, keep my lamp burning; my GOD turns my darkness into light. 
~ Psalm 18:28 (NIV)

You, LORD, are my lamp; the LORD will lighten my darkness. 
2 Samuel 22:29 (NIV)



16 comments:

  1. My friend, you know when sometimes God places someone near us at the exact moment we need her? I believe you are that person for me this morning. I struggle with worry...and lately, anxiety...thank you hormones... And this beautiful piece of writing is just what my weary soul needed this morning. Thank you. I will read and return to retread this often. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that---mornings are God's way of showing us that the night will end. What a beautiful quote!!! I am going to record it in my quote journal.

    I am reading this during my morning quiet time, which, incidentally, includes candles. They give a lovely glow to the dark mornings.

    Blessings on your day,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dayle! This is a light, I needed, in the middle of a very dark time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, He is the light in the darkness. I, too, love that last paragraph. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought of this verse (Isaiah 42:3, NLT):

    "He will not crush the weakest reed or put out a flickering candle."

    And this one (John 8:12, NLT):

    "Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, 'I am the light of the world. I f you follow me, you won't have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.'"

    Sometimes life gets very dark, and it is easy to lose hope. But, when we hold on to the Light of Life - (even if we're *flickering*) - the darkness is dispelled.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! May it be filled with faith, family, friends, fellowship...OK, and lots and lots of food!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dayle...thank you for this. You are so right...no matter how dark and burdened times can seem, joy does come in the morning! I've also heard it said that it's always darkest before the dawn. I'm so thankful for a God who shows Himself to be so faithful. A beautiful reminder, my friend. Hoping you and yours have a most blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last week, I was asked to choose my favorite symbol and name for Christ, and I chose "light." Just for all the reasons you so excellently mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dayle, This may be a duplicate. I loved reading this post. It is exactly what I needed to read today. Thank you so much. Happy Thanksgiving! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes it is just a matter of hanging on as we wait blindly in the darkness for the dawn to arrive. I do believe that there is a light ahead of us-even if we can't always see it. Great post- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dayle, thank you for these encouraging words. God bless you abundantly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful encouragement.... recently ... and in many years past... we go to the mountains in October... I always make it a point to get to the porch snuggle up in one of the rockers with my coffee... and wait for the sun.. for the morning light to dispel the darkness of night... It is glorious!!! The "Son" does the same for sure... daily !!!! So beautifully said Dayle!! Thank you .... Happy and blessed Thanksgiving!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely, inspirational post, Dayle. Loved it. Hope your Thanksgiving is very, very blessed. How could it not be with that sweet grandbaby of yours? Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh sweet Dayle.
    You have blessed us all with this beautiful message.
    Thank you so much for your comments regarding the loss of my father.
    You are a dear friend.
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amen!!! When the darkness is its darkness the light is at its brightest. So glad I know the author of the light!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a comforting sentiment. Happy Thanksgiving to you and all you hold dear!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that you often express exactly what I am feeling. Onward!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle