Monday, November 2, 2015

Farewell, October ... Cupcake Pics, and Chocolate Cobbler ~ Monday Musings

I can't say for sure, but it seems that 2015 has been one of the fastest moving years in my recent memory. October has come to an end and November waits with open arms. As I occasionally do at the end of a month, here's a glance back at just a few of the gifts that made October a beautiful month. 


Let's start with the most adorable Cabbage Patch doll I've ever seen. On Saturday evening, our darling Arabella joined the trick-or-treaters wearing a little hat I bought online for her, and a precious dress that belonged to her mommy. I don't think I've ever seen anything cuter, but that's Memaw talking, of course.


She turned seven-months old in October. One afternoon, I took her outside and put her in a basket so I could capture a few images. She's wearing her mommy's sandals in these photos.


We haven't mastered the selfie, but we (well, I) still have fun trying.

My precious sugar plum (one of my grand-nieces) is doing great in school. Here she is on a rather chilly morning in October. I do love her so.


Three days of the week find me and The Man (Papaw) being the lucky caretakers of our precious granddaughter, Arabella (aka cupcake). The days are passing so swiftly, sometimes it's almost impossible to bear.


Cupcake has two teeth, and is sitting up, and crawling, and making my heart melt with her adorable personality.




What is it about a baby's feet that is totally irresistible?


Watching Papaw rock her to sleep, listening to him sing to her until she settles into his shoulder, it's just too sweet for words.


One October evening, I looked outside and found this in my backyard, a gift from the master artist.


In celebration of National Chocolate Day on October 28th, I made a chocolate cobbler and invited twin sister over. 

Here's the recipe.
You're welcome.


CHOCOLATE COBBLER

1/2 stick butter
3/4 C sugar
1 C self-rising flour
2 Tbsp cocoa
A dash of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C milk (can be substituted with buttermilk)

Melt butter in square 8” baking dish and set aside. In medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt, and cocoa. Stir in milk and vanilla. Mix well and pour into baking dish with melted butter. DO NOT stir.

Topping:
3/4 C sugar
2 Tbsp cocoa
1/2 C chopped pecans (optional)
1 C HOT water

In medium bowl, mix sugar and cocoa, then pour hot water in and mix with a spoon. Pour mixture over the batter in baking dish and top with pecans. DO NOT stir. (If you prefer, you can save the pecans and sprinkle over last.)

Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.

The top will be cake-like and the bottom will yield all of the ooey, gooey goodness. Can be served with vanilla ice-cream, whipped topping, or alone. If you love chocolate, this will knock your socks off!

Recipe source: Magdalene Bonds (Recipes Then And Now )


***

Until next time, sweet friends, thanks so much for your generous birthday wishes and for sharing a part of yourselves with me. I am a better person because of it.


Linking up with




16 comments:

  1. Agree! This year is passing at unbelievable speed...
    I am going to really stay in the moment these next few months, and just be.
    I want to relish all the beauty and joy, but somehow it just passes by!
    Thank you for sharing the precious photos this morning!
    And have a cozy November day. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you showcased all the shoes and feet. One of my favorite parts of little ones.

    That first picture....it made me stop and examine it closely. I thought at first it WAS a doll. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe October is over. Love the pics of you and your precious grand. Hold her loosely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little CUPCAKE is just DELICIOUS! I could eat her up. Cutest Cabbage Patch baby doll I ever saw. And those cute little feet!!!!! Don't you love those Robeeze shoes (I know there are different brands)..our little girls lived in them...and they can't pull them off!
    Your little Sugar Plum is just darling, too.
    How wonderful that you have hands on taking care of your sweet granddaughter during the week. What a blessing for ALL of you! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Dayle, that baby is a lIVING DOLL. She is so totally adorable...so sweet and LOVABLE. No wonder you are head-over-heels in love with her. Oh gosh. She is SUCH a precious treasure. Great photos, too. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, Dayle...I just HAD to open your post at Coastal Charm to see the Cabbage Patch baby. She is much, much, much too cute to even compare her to a Cabbage Patch, if you ask me--and I KNOW...I'm a grandmother of beautiful, chubby-cheeked babies too!! :) Cupcakes and sweet plums and all sweet things is exactly what they are!!! We've never "met," but it's so nice to "meet" you. I'm going over to be your newest follower as soon as I'm done commenting, because I find that we have so much in common. I commend you on your articles on abortion and am thankful for women like you who speak out. My Ohio license plate is the pro-life version our state has. I invite you to stop over and visit when you have a minute. You'll see a few posts involving Baby Love and Mr. Bright Eyes, along with home-sweet-home matters. :) ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
  7. What precious little ones - and you and your Man seem to be enjoying every minute with your little granddaughter. It's such a sweet time of life, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning! She is SUCH a little doll! And your right.....there's just something about those little feet and shoes....soo precious! She is just a month ahead of my newest granddaughter,, but I haven't seen her since July! How blessed you are to care for yours 3 days a week! We are going there for Thanksgiving and I am counting the moments till I can squeeze them all. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate cobbler...are you serious??!! OMGosh!!! Please tell me there is a low-carb version of this! Dayle, these pics are just about the sweetest things...adorable little baby feet. Precious October memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought Arabella was sweet until I saw that cobbler! She has competition!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where has the time gone this year??? I canNOT believe that it is already November!

    Your little ones are just too precious, Dayle. And I absolutely love that knitted hat that Cupcake's wearing in the first picture. The whole outfit is too adorable...but that hat...I want one!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I just love that being a Memaw is so precious to you! Arabella made one cute little cabbage patch baby that is for sure. My 8 grandchildren are among my most precious blessings! Love being a Mèmére! What is it about baby toes - my family thinks I am nuts when I put those little toes to my nose :-)

    Blessings from Arizona,
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  13. It took me a long time to get through this post. I kept going back to look at the pictures of your sweet cupcake. I just want to nestle her in my arms and get some of that sugar on her sweet cheeks! She and Hollis would make quite a pair!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy belated birthday to you and your sister. What a lovely post (your previous one), with many special thoughts about life's lessons. I'm just a year or two away from that birthday myself.
    Cupcake is adorable. What a blessing to enjoy her three days a week! I did think that first picture was a real doll at first!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Arabella is adorable.
    I love to dress my two grandchildren in their parent's clothing from days gone by.
    Why is it babies don't wear frilly dresses and Oshkosh overalls anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good grief, but that Cabbage Patch outfit is the cutest thing I've ever seen! Happy 7 months, little one!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle