Thursday, November 19, 2015

Mother's Chocolate Pudding


One of my favorite desserts from my mother's kitchen is her chocolate pudding. It is simplicity in a bowl, but simply decadent on the tongue. If you need a quick and easy dessert for the holidays, this one is comfort food at its best.


Mother’s Chocolate Pudding

3-1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
¾ cup sugar (brown or white)
1 egg
2 cups milk
¼ stick butter
1 tsp vanilla
Vanilla wafer cookies

In heavy saucepan, on medium/low heat, bring milk to a near boil.

In small mixing bowl, add dry ingredients and egg.

Dip out small amount of hot milk and add to the bowl. Mix well, then add into the hot milk.

Do not bring to full boil, but stir almost constantly until mixture begins to thicken.

Cook a few additional minutes as you lower the heat.

Remove from heat, add vanilla and butter and stir.

In serving bowl, alternate layers of wafers and chocolate pudding, ending with wafers on top.

Great served warm or room temperature. Quick and easy to prepare.

Serves 4-6.

***

This post is part of the series, Share Your Cup and Grace at Home, and Foodie Friday.



12 comments:

  1. Let me be the first to vouch for its deliciousness. Good hot or cold, and so easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the reason I don't have a photo of the finished product is because it disappears fast!

      Delete
    2. This looks amazing! And I love the photo you shared...
      I love all things that remind me of times past.
      And I am certainly going to share this with my family. : )

      Delete
  2. Great photo of your mom! You and Gayle sure look like her, although I'm not sure which one of you looks like her the most...lol! I love chocolate pudding too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Evening Dayle, How wonderful to have a photograph of your mother making this lovely chocolate pudding. I love making recipes which my mother, Phyllis used to make when I was a child. I feel it is the same for you, these recipes bring back so many wonderful memories.
    Enjoy your day.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy. I'd better copy that one, Dayle. Homemade is always so much better than the supermarket boxed one. Your Mama will be happy you remember her special pudding. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds good although I might not put the cookies in. Loved the photo of your mom in the post too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yum yum YUM.....sounds wonderful! Love the pic of your mom too! Wishing you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds yummy. Wishing you a beautiful weekend Dayle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So special to have recipes from your mom. I love the picture and your mother's beautiful appearance and the clean simplicity of her kitchen. Wonderful pic for sure!
    Blessings from Arizona,
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like homemade! Love the photo of your mom. Now I see where you get your good looks from. :) Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just LOVE this photo of your mom. There's nothing like homemade chocolate pudding, in my opinion, but I haven't made it in awhile. Thanks for the reminder!

    Thanks for joining Grace at Home. I'm featuring you this week!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle