Friday, February 5, 2016

Quieting the Noise ~ Scenes from a Blessed Life

Dear friends, as I write, it is Thursday morning. After a week of warm weather, the air is cool again but not too cold. The sun is out and there’s a gentle breeze blowing through the trees.

I plan to get outdoors later today, which is why I'm here now, attempting to drum up a blog post from thin air. Some days I sit down at my desk and find it easy to put words on paper, or type them onto a blank screen, as is usually the case. Other days, the well seems dry, nothing bubbles up. On such days, I stare at my office walls, covered with framed articles from the past—representing just a fraction of the thousands of words that have come out of me through the years—and I wonder how on earth I wrote all of those words and sentences. Just how?

In the past, when I sometimes wrote on a deadline, a blank screen could bring a panic attack, but these days, life is simpler and I find a certain value in having nothing to say. It's usually a sign that I've been drowned out by other voices, that I need to turn down the volume and clear out the cobwebs. 

If you think about it, there’s something chaotic about exposing your mind to a continuous dialogue, whether it be via radio, television, blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, or even engaging with people in the real world. My brain needs frequent breaks, else it hits an overload status, accompanied by a deer-in-the-headlights expression. That's why Facebookwhich I enjoy sparinglyand blogs are the only social media platforms that I use, and why I’ve never opened the can of worms called Pinterest, Twitter, or Instagram. Well, I tried Instagram for about a day and could see right away that wasn’t the forum for me. Frankly, I can’t even comprehend that people actually have time to be active in so many places at once, or that they have the fortitude to keep it up, day in and day out.

For me, there are times when every outside voice has to be shut off—radio, television, blogs, Facebook, people—in order for me to find my own voice again. It may be only for a day or an hour, but I find such rituals are essential in living a balanced life.

Well, well ... that richness (wink, wink) will have to do it for this time. I hear my granddaughter stirring in her bed, awake from her nap, and I must go smother her with kisses. In the meantime, I leave you with some favorite images from the last few weeks.

But first, if you need to smile, and who doesn't, this 22-second video of cupcake playing a fun game with Memaw should do the trick. Is there anything more delightful than the pure laughter of a baby, or the appearance of three teeth?











  


Until next time, sweet friends, have a happy weekend and may the sun find you, wherever you are.



Note: There were video issues with certain browsers, so I uploaded to YouTube and it should be visible to all. If not, let me know.

***




17 comments:

  1. Sweet photos of you and cupcake! Time unplugging and enjoying our in real life people is so essential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time spent with grandchildren is everything these days. Enjoy every minute - the creative spirit is there and you'll have time to write another day. For now, I can see you treasure the time with your Cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing more precious than children. My grandkids are almost all grown up and I don't know when that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are some very precious moments with that sweet baby girl. Like you, I need to remove myself from the noise on a regular basis...I just don't know how some folks stay plugged into something all day long. Have a lovely (quiet?) weekend, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO cute! thank-you for the laughter for me and the little guy I babysit. He is three and as he watched he said, aw-w-w, she is so cute:)

    I'm like you...i need to unplug. I go on FB if there is someone I can't talk to in person and I want to catch up. I have certain blogs I read somewhat faithfully or even blog-world is overwhelming. The sound of silence is sweet and sweeter when broken by the sounds of everyday life, not media-noise:)

    Enjoy your Precious and thank-you as always for the words you do share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love the photos! Don't you just love being a Grandma? Your little one reminds me of mind. I love the chunky legs and cheeks. I could just squeeze her/mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see that you have a beautiful secretary to do your filing! Your granddaughter is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today my Dr prescribed "boredom" for me. Isn't that the craziest prescription?
    He told me in order to "heal" you need to rest, get bored!

    So when you said,
    "If you think about it, there’s something chaotic about exposing your mind to a continuous dialogue, whether it be via radio, television, blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, or even engaging with people in the real world. My brain needs frequent breaks, else it hits an overload status";
    I know what you mean! It's actually a time of healing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love you, twin sister. Your cupcake and sugar plum are blessed to have you in their lives, and so am I. Love the pics, and BTW, I can see the video now, and I'm in chrome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed your post, Dayle. I agree with you about Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Such a waste of time. However, Pinterest is a good place to look for ideas about something you're interested in. There's no connection, so you preserve your anonymity. Pinterest has blogs to check out from people with your same interests, i.e. style of decorating, children's clothing, building a new deck, etc. God bless, Bev

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seeking silence right along with you . . .
    http://cornersofmylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Time with grandchildren is time when we can stop and just live in the moment. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cutie! I'm not too crazy about social media, but I love to read blogs.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. The footsie pajamas just melted my heart....oh, my - it seems my girls were just wearing those - how could it be 20+ years ago?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Quiet time - both inside and outside - is a gift, a blessing. Let's take the time to seek it out, and bask in it when it arrives!

    Cupcake is a doll! And grammy squeezes are the best...

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, I'm in the panic attack season, but when you first enter, it's exhilarating. I can see that I will quickly be ready for a breather. Facebook is where I cut, and don't ever use it personally, only to post my blog and then skedaddle. Pinterest is soothing, because it's image driven — no words, because you are so right, the constant "conversation" can be overwhelming.

    Cute babies also cut the head clutter. They're the perfect antidote to technology!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't there something so charming about 3 teeth!

    My FB is pretty much limited to family and a couple of friends. It's a way for me to see new pics of my little granddaughters! February is a month of bookkeeping for me, trying to get all our family corp records ready to take to accountant. So it is always a harried month where I feel overwhelmed until it's all sitting by the door ready to take. And back to it now!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle