Friday, February 12, 2016

The Value of Seasoned Women

I never take for granted how blessed Arabella is to have my twin sister living close enough to be an active part of her life, and it's clear that the two of them have a special relationship. This collection of photos was captured a few weeks ago and makes me smile every time I look at it. 

Aunt Gayle has been there since the day cupcake was born, for which I'll be eternally grateful. Her presence has been steady, even when her spirit was tired.






 





I believe it's important for babies to have strong and seasoned women in their lives—grandmothers, grand-aunts, great-grandmothers, older cousins, friends—women with a story to tell, with life’s experiences to share, with wisdom to offer, with a little time to give, and unconditional love to bestow. I feel the same about men.

Not every child is so fortunate, which is why I hope the coming years will find Arabella and her extended family sharing many happy moments together. One day, she will know how blessed she is.








Until next time, dear friends, I say that Valentine’s Day shouldn’t be just for lovers, and it shouldn't be the only day we express our love to those we hold dear, but I see nothing wrong with setting aside a single day of the year to celebrate such a beautiful thing. 

***


13 comments:

  1. Dearest twin sister, you made me all teary-eyed with this sweet blog. I am truly the one blessed to live near your precious grandchild and be able to enjoy her during these fleeting moments in time. We never know what a day will bring, and I'm so grateful for each day we've shared. She always puts a smile on my face, and I love her dearly. I hope we're never far apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly. What a blessing to have those seasoned women in my life when I was younger and now to be that seasoned woman to others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever a post starts with Arabella's name I know it will be rich with great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every little one should be as lucky Arabella. I read somewhere, perhaps in something by Margaret Mead, that in bad times the children that thrive are those who have maternal aunts in their life. In most cultures it is, apparently, the mothers' sisters who take the greatest interest in children. Makes sense to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful words.
    Such beautiful photos.
    I come from a family of five girls...Bless my dear late Daddy!...and I have so many wonderful memories of being a young girl surrounded by my sisters and mommy sitting around my grandmother's cozy home. We would visit, play cards, listen to stories of the past. My aunt would join us as well.
    Thank you for pushing those moments to the front of my mind and heart today. : )
    Have a cozy weekend. And keep loving on that precious baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your little 'babe' is adorable and she's so blessed to have a tight family around her. Happy Weekend and valentines day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anyone who has Aunt Gayle in their life is certainly blessed! Arabella is a doll and I'm sure Gayle treasures every moment with her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not grow up with any of our relations around, and really missed them, especially my grandmother. Cupcake is blessed to have all of you so close!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is so much joy in these pictures, so much love. Arabella is blessed and so are those who love her. Thank you for sharing their pictures with us and reminding us of all the many ways we can show love. What a privilege it is, and I too am thankful for the love in our family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a legacy of love these images contain! Thank you for sharing all Cupcake's
    deliciousness with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know you had a twin. I'm sure your hearts connect in a way no one knows. She can't help but love your little one who is an extension of you. I have an 80+ new friend in my life. So thankful for the seasoned women as I am becoming one. Thankful for the other women who are in my children and grands lives.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle