Monday, February 15, 2016

What Is Maturity?





In the words of Ann Landers






  • Maturity is the ability to control anger and settle differences without violence or destruction.
  • Maturity is patience, the willingness to pass up immediate pleasure in favor of the long-term gain.
  • Maturity is perseverance, the ability to sweat out a project or a situation, in spite of opposition and discouraging setbacks.
  • Maturity is unselfishness—responding to and respecting the needs of others, often at the expense of one’s own desires.
  • Maturity is the capacity to face unpleasantness and frustration, discomfort and defeat, without complaint or collapse.
  • Maturity is humility. It is being big enough to say, “I was wrong.” And, when right, the mature person need not say, “I told you so.”
  • Maturity is the ability to make a decision. The immature spend their lives exploring endless possibilities, then doing nothing.
  • Maturity means dependability, keeping one’s word, coming through in the crisis. The immature are masters of the alibi—confused and disorganized. Their lives are a maze of broken promises, former friends, unfinished business, and good intentions, which never materialize.
  • Maturity is the art of living in peace with that which we cannot change, courage to change what we can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

7 comments:

  1. What good quotes to write in my journal tonight. I could do better! Thanks for sharing my friend. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect timing! I just had a little discussion with my 16 year old son about this very thing. It started with me telling him it was immature behavior, not humor, to blow out a candle so hard that hot wax sprayed all over the place. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like I need work on my maturity.
    (I really do miss Ann!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to read this...and work on more maturity. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good ol' Ann Landers...my mom never went a day without reading her column. She was like the Judge Judy of advice columnists. It's hard to live life being mature sometimes, I'll admit to that and I miss the mark many times. Grace, grace, God's grace....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such good points! Patting myself on the back for some, hiding my face behind my hands at others. Not arguing with any.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle