Tuesday, February 23, 2016

When It Rains ~ Well, you know the rest

Dear friends, I awoke Monday morning and discovered rain splashing against the window, slow and steady, a balm for the soul. I find that an occasional rainy day softens the hard places, leaving the air fresh, the dust washed away. Rainy days are meant for exhaling, for being still, a time to just breathe.

In recent days, we had rain of another kind, if you will. What’s the old saying, “When it rains it pours?” Before retiring for bed Thursday evening, I was just finishing up kitchen chores when I heard what sounded like the outdoor water faucet running outside the window, but The Man said he had not left the water hose on, so I let it go and went to bed.

But the next morning, The Man discovered a water leak in the wall. Luckily, nothing was getting wet inside the house, but still, the water had to be turned off and a plumber had to be called. The work turned out more extensive, and expensive, than we’d hoped, but such is life. I can tell you this: Living 36-hours without running water gives you a whole new appreciation for the pioneers.

By Saturday evening, all had been repaired, but Sunday morning brought more rain, if you will, when we discovered that the refrigerator was not cooling properly. The freezer was still freezing, but the refrigerator was just not getting it done. The Man tried home remedies but by Monday we could see the writing on the wall. A repairman was called, and after some minor work, all is well and humming again.


Don't misunderstand. I’m not complaining. At my age, I’ve learned how trivial such inconveniences are, compared to the big things in life. Saturday afternoon, I fixed a pot of chicken-and-dumplings and carried them to a longtime friend who could tell you a lot about the when-it-rains-it-pours adage. Burdened with sickness and health issues, one right after another, her family could really use a change in the forecast. I admire their faith and courage in the face of such hard times.


My twin sister recently lent me Max Lucado’s fine book, “God Will Carry You Through,” centered around the life of Joseph, with modern-day stories woven in, and it has given me fresh encouragement, while dealing with matters that bruise the heart. The account of Joseph, found in the Book of Genesis, is my favorite Old Testament story. I’ve read it hundreds of times and each time I'm moved and inspired by Joseph’s incredulous journey from the pit to the throne, and how all of the pieces had to be lined up, in order for things to fall into place, in order for Joseph’s dreams to be fulfilled, in order for there to be a reconciliation with his family.

Consider this: During the many years that Joseph waited for his dreams to be fulfilled, he was abandoned by his brothers, sold into slavery, falsely accused, cast into prison, where he was forgotten for two years. Before his dreams could be fulfilled, there had to be seven years of plentiful harvest, followed by seven years of utter famine. Yet I’m convinced Joseph never lost his faith, for throughout his journey we find this little sentence over and over: “And the Lord was with Joseph.”

Until next time, dear friends, no matter where circumstances find you todaywaiting for rain, or waiting for it to stopmay you gain strength from the words of Max Lucado: “The forecast is simple. Good days. Bad Days. But God is in all days. He is the Lord of the famine and the feast, and he uses both to accomplish his will.”



***


Top photo source: Google, no credit cited.


20 comments:

  1. Things like this that happen are definitely inconveniences that we all have to deal with at some point...they can really be stressful too. I'm so glad that there wasn't major damage to your home. Your post spoke so much truth. I've heard this said and I think it's so true, "Your worst day with Jesus is still better than your best day without Him".

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy the water leak wasn't serious and you caught it when you did. I've always been baffled by people who immediately become irritated with a rainy day. Like you, I find them soothing and cozy! The story of Joseph has always fascinated me and I actually named one of my sons Joseph!
    Hope you stay nice and dry today and enjoy the outdoor show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your photos and your words. thank-you! Really love the ending quote by one of my favorite writers! It should be a fridge magnet:)
    ...and your post should be sent to a devotional magazine. God bless your day, whatever the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kind of makes me glad I don't own a home anymore!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Brenda. It's always something when you own a home.

      Delete
  5. Dear Dayle, It was so nice to meet you at my blog! Thank you ever so much for stopping and leaving encouragement there! I am so sorry you have had to deal with such trials lately, and I do trust all will settle down for you. It does seem that trials come by the numbers, doesn't it? I, too, absolutely love the story of Joseph and refer to it often, as my family and I face struggles. I have gleaned so much from it over the years and love the way God tempered Joseph through those times of testing. When God makes us a promise, it surely doesn't mean it will happen right away...for Joseph, his wait was 22 years, but the Joseph who stood humbled before his brothers with no desire for revenge was worlds apart different from the 17 year old Joseph who bragged of his dreams. Surely, it gives me hope that God is working on each one of us through our times of testing. Thank you for your kind words! Hope we can visit together again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cheryl. Yes, the story of Joseph is filled with so many valuable lessons, an amazing story.

      Delete
  6. Hi Dayle. Heard on the news parts of Texas were getting very bad weather, including tornadoes. Hope all is well where you live, other than the rain. Sorry to hear about the necessary repairs. We sure have been through times like that, too, and they sure are frustrating. Take care, Dayle. I always remember that "into each life some rain must fall." But then, when the sunshine reappears, it's all the more sweet. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only got heavy winds and some rain, and cooler temps, so all is well. Thanks for your sweet comment.

      Delete
  7. Found many wise words here as usual...sometimes it does rain HARD....but the knowing that God is truly with us no matter what the weather might be does make all the difference. LOVE LOVE the story of Joseph. Hope the rest of your week is good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad y'all are back from the primitive lifestyle. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dayle,
    When I saw that you had responded to my latest blog post, I had to pay you a visit. It seems we have a couple of things in common. I always refer to my hubby in blog posts as "The Man," and thought it was so fun that you do as well. The other thing we share is "cancer." I'm so thankful that, as a child, you did not have to endure cancer treatments beyond just the surgery. I am in the final stage of my treatment, radiation. I have had chemo, surgery and now radiation. Prayers and positive thoughts have made the journey less difficult for me. For this, I am so very grateful.

    I'm so glad you were able to get your water leak under control before too much damage could be done. It seems our homes, whether new or older, do require a certain amount of upkeep. They don't always give us adequate warning before troubles erupt...we have to tend them with a lot of TLC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this note, Carol. It's always great to meet a kindred spirit.

      Delete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle