Monday, March 7, 2016

Arabella is a Year Old ~ Yes, Already


Yesterday, was our darling Arabella’s birthday. She is a year old, impossibly so, but she is. 

From my first glimpse of her, on a nippy day in March, I was entirely smitten, my heart stretched by leaps and bounds at the sight of her tiny face, the sound of her first cry, the touch of her skin against mine. We didn't know each other, but I was her Memaw and she was my cupcake.

Weeks went by, slowly at first, for it seemed the days and nights of colic would never end, but then they did and the household breathed a sigh of relief. In time, her mommy returned to work and the months picked up the pace. We celebrated Easter and the Fourth of July, Thanksgiving and Christmas, then the arrival of a brand new year. 


I tell you the truth. It all happened in the blink of an eye.


Now it is March again, and I’m left with that bittersweet task of reminiscing, remembering our first year—me and my darling granddaughter—and how our time together unfolded. There was rocking and singing and carrying her through the house. There were soft mornings, and quiet moments spent gazing out the window. There were attempted selfies and the scrambling of eggs together in the kitchen. There was discovering the wonder, and aggravation, of talking toys, and a daily inspection of the people in the photos on the refrigerator door. When the weather was nice, there was a stroll to the mailbox, and the gentle melody of the wind-chime, which always brought a smile. There was piano playing and the reading of books, bath time and play time, nap time and church time.


She has changed everything—the sun, the moon, the sea, and the stars. I look at nothing through the same eyes as before. She is the sound of music, the reading of poetry, her smile, the cure for everything, and I'm holding onto each moment as best I can, for this is the briefest season of all. 

I don’t have to tell you that life comes with no guarantees; there is no promise of tomorrow, no promise about what may happen tomorrow. None whatsoever. But no matter what another year brings to me, as long as there is breath in my body, my granddaughter will have someone praying for her, someone rooting for her, someone cheering her on and loving her unconditionally, no strings attached.

As I write, my heart is full to overflowing. Not a day goes by that I don't think about how blessed I am to share the company of Arabella Marie.



***





18 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Dayle. HOW can Arabella Marie be one year old? How? She was just born yesterday, it seems. She is a beautiful baby. Your post on her is heart-touching. The love pours out from your words.
    I can identify so clearly. I now have a year-old grandson, a three-year-old granddaughter and four month old TWIN grandsons!
    We are both blessed women, don't you think? Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandchildren are so precious and yours is so cute. My children never had colic, but our granddaughter did and my heart broke for her. It was a hard time for all of us than. Now she is almost 16 years old. Where does the time go, just too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can attest that the year went by in a blink. I love the picture collages of y'all together. So special. She's brought tons of sunshine since she came into the world, and her Aunt Gayle loves her so much. How blessed you both are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to your adorable GD Dayle!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, so precious. I love all the photos you took with her. I have to remind myself to do that more often. Happy birthday, Arabella. You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post, Dayle. The time passes too quickly when we measure it in a grandchild's year. Arabella is just a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a precious post! There is just nothing like being a grandparent is there? And you are right...there just no explanation how quickly time passes by! Happy Birthday, Arabella :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's so precious - happy birthday, sweet baby girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Happiest Birthday dearest Arabella!! You are indeed a little cupcake! Memaw adores you, and is so proud of you! You bring unspeakable joy to her life, and to the lives of your whole family. May God bring you a wonder-full new year.

    Love the photos, Dayle...simply precious.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great celebration. Grandma's first has a first! And to think it just gets better and better.
    The pictures are a great way to display all your love for Arabella (such a beautiful name!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Little Arablella is one precious little girl who is loved much - I can tell! :) Isn't this grandbaby love just something else! I share your love for our babies. Thank you for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a heartfelt, touching post celebrating your precious grand baby!!!!
    You captured the treasured moments of that fleeting first year beautifully.
    And...you give me hope.
    I often wonder how I will fill my days when my littles are grown.
    Now...I know! : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a grandmother to a 3 year old granddaughter and a 1 year old granddaughter, I smiled all the way through your post. Since I am also grandmother to 4 grown grandsons I know all too well how quickly the time passes. I have no doubt that you will always treasure each hour of your time with precious Arabella. Give her a hug from someone who was happy to read about her year with someone who adores her!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, what a lovely tribute to your lovely cupcake. So many special moments with her to cherish for always. I loved the line you wrote: she's my sound of music, the reading of poetry. And what a pretty name for such a sweet girl, Arabella.

    Wishing you a beautiful week ahead...
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I am right there with you...this was the fastest year. Little Claire will be a year old next month. How blessed you are! Happy birthday to your sweet girl, and may cupcake be blessed with many many MANY more years bringing with her sunshine and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a blessed baby, and grandmother! And realizing your blessed is the biggest blessing of all!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am right there with you on a grandmothers heart and I have enjoyed each and every photo of your precious girls first year. I was also moved by the sweet honor post of the two ladies purchasing birthday cards. So much to learn for those around us.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle