Monday, April 18, 2016

Notes from the Weekend : On Change and Laughter and Hope


Dear friends, Saturday was a magical day. The morning began quieter than usual, slowing me down enough for a relaxing breakfast on the patio. Under an uncertain sky, I enjoyed a simple meal of bacon and eggs, toast and coffee, while listening to morning’s sweet song. As the wind-chime picked up a gentle breeze, it seemed to be playing music just for me, a melody of hope it was, of looking forward with faith, while embracing the now. Overhead, a flock of birds gathered in the top of an elderberry tree, having a feast and making sweet music of their own.

In the afternoon, I texted twin sister and said, “I have something hilarious you need to read.” I promised to make fresh coffee and within a few minutes she arrived. Suffice it to say that one of my greatest blessings is having my twin sister live two minutes down the street. Not only is she my praying partner, she’s my laughing partner and the next little while brought boundless laughter, the kind where you have to grab your stomach and squeal, the kind where you almost lose your breath. Hearing her laugh, and laughing with her, was a balm to my spirit, like oil being poured in the dry, cracked places.

Later, we took our coffee outside where spring’s brush has painted every tree in my yard in rich shades of green, a sign of hope for those still in winter. 

The sun, no longer hidden behind the clouds, was now filling the yard with warmth.



Under its gentle spell, we sat awhile and talked of trivial things, pleasant things, while the wind blew through the trees.

In the silent spaces, I thought of how life seldom goes as planned, how events beyond our control often dictate the paths we take, how a year’s time can bring about so many changes. Some good, some bittersweet, some life-altering. But always, there is hope. A single glance across the lawn was proof of that. What once was barren and bleak, now blossomed with new life, and I'm grateful to be personally acquainted with the One who makes it all possible. 

As I write, night has come. Outside, a soft April rain is falling, the air is still and quiet. I know I will carry this day in my heart for a long time. It will remind me that change is inevitable, that laughter is healing, that hope springs eternal.


***


Psalm:130:5: I wait for the LORD, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope. 

Psalm:147:11: The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy.

Psalm:71:5: For thou art my hope, O Lord GOD: thou art my trust from my youth.

Psalm:31:24: Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD.

Psalm:33:18: Behold, the eye of the LORD is upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy;

Psalm:43:5: Why art thou cast down, O my soul, and why art thou disquieted within me? Hope thou in GOD.


11 comments:

  1. I posted Psalm 33 this morning on my blog! I love how God steers me to what He wants me to hear each day. So sweet to have that time with your sister. Praying for your families today. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely.
    Simply soothing and calming.
    A perfect way to ease myself into this Monday.
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, my friend. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a loving sister! To make someone laugh until your sides hurts, is just the medicine that can start healing ANY wounds!
    God knew what he was doing when he created twins, especially you two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post, Dayle. It has touches of sadness, mixed with hope. Much like life, itself. What are those pretty blue flowers in the pots? Blessings to you, my friend. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some days are special - and laughing until your sides hurt is certainly a contributing factor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a precious time you must have had with your twin sister! What a dear blessing indeed! So thankful you shared with us here. Your porch I lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How I love your posts as they always sweep me into a glimpse of your world. Having a twin sister who lives soo close and soo identify's with your heart and shares your memories and hopes and joy, and yes your sadness and hard times too, is about as good as it can get. What a blessing that has got to be. LOVE the verses....here is another... Then our mouth was filled with laughter,
    And our tongue with singing.
    Then they said among the nations,
    “The LORD has done great things for them.” psalm 126:2

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your words have painted such a beautiful picture of your day, Dayle! Having a twin must be so special; having her so close by is a gift!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle