Monday, July 25, 2016

On an Ordinary Day ~ Scenes from a Blessed Life

It was Mary Jean Irion who wrote these poignant words: “Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return.”

How well we all know the truth of these words. One minute, things are going great; the next minute, tragedy strikes. That's why I make a point to look for the gifts of an ordinary day, and, in the spirit of honoring them, here are just a few images that illustrate such days around here.


Morning coffee, no cream, no sugar.


Summer sunshine, casting its spell indoors.


Two days a week, The Man and I are in charge of arranging cupcake's day, which includes happily watching her eat everything from quinoa to squash, from avocado to English peas.


On ordinary days, you'll probably hear the hum of the washer and dryer.


And playing in the office is a daily ritual.


Some days, you might find a naked jaybird splashing in the sink.


Some evenings, a devoted aunt stops by for snuggles and sugar, and sharing cupcake's favorite songs.


And even in the oppressive heat, the mail must be collected and sorted.


***

There are days when I look at my stained carpets and frayed rugs, at the toys strewn in corners and the laundry spilling out of baskets, and I think to myself, life isn't perfect, but how rich I am, how very rich I am.

Until next time, dear ones, my appearance in blogland has been sporadic lately, but I'm still here, hanging on.


***


16 comments:

  1. So beautiful and so true.
    I feel the same...
    My favorite days are the "ordinary" ones spent washing, resting, loving on littles, and sipping on coffee.
    Often these days pass in a blur, and this reminder to cherish each one is very much appreciated.
    On a sidenote... I adore your white bath towels!
    Where did you find them?!
    Have a cozy day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billie Jo, the towels actually have a lemony background under the little white squares. They've held up so well. I've had them a long time and I believe they came from Target or Macy's. Can't remember which.

      Delete
  2. I've always loved that quote...so true! One day can change our whole world. I love you, and my precious grand niece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed your post today more than you know.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, ordinary days are the best days. Your words spoke such truth and your photos illustrated it perfectly. Wonderful post, Dayle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see one of your posts, Dayle!

    The small things are the big things, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dayle, you are such a brilliant writer, and your photographs are wonderful! You and I are on the same mindset today, being grateful for the little blessings that make up our ordinary days. I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Dear Dayle. Such a perfectly lovely, heartfelt post. Oh, the ordinary day is soooooo precious, isn't it? So very special. Thank you for the reminder. Lovely photos, too. Cupcake? Just a darling petunia. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have come to love and dearly appreciate those ordinary days! Having lived through so many not so ordinary has made me realize their true value. God bless you for pointing this out to us and for sharing your lovely photos. That baby is so precious! Sending you love and hugs, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We all have hidden hurts and problems that we don't share with the world, but there's no doubt that we're blessed!!! God is so good to us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How very, very true. We trudge through "ordinary" days, waiting for a really "great" day, and then something happens to remind us of how wonderful ordinary days truly are. My mother is having some tests ran later this week, and we are praying mightily for "ordinary" results. We know that Jesus is Lord and we are speaking healing in His Holy name. If you would join your prayers with ours in praying healing over my mom, Donna, it would be much appreciated. Blessings to you my friend. Thank you for the beautiful reminder that each and every day is a gift from God.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful, Dayle. Looking for joy and pleasure in the ordinary, routine moments of life. It is essential that we do that, because the reality is that life is not lived on a vacation or at a party. Life is lived mostly in the realm of the ordinary. If we can't see the joyful moments in that, we are kind of wasting our life.

    Just had to say, my husband would agree with you on the coffee. He laughs at the way I drink mine. First of all, I just pour water back over the grounds he has already used. And then I fill the cup 1/3 full of milk or cream. He says I really just like "dirty milk."

    You are such a blessing here in blogland, whether you are sporadic or regular.

    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a lovely post that speaks to my heart. At this point in life, with all the ups and down, I have come to truly appreciate the ordinary and seek solace in it. Little cupcake is just precious, her pictures make me smile.

    Thank you for your kind note on my blog, Dayle. I'm so glad to have found your Collection of Days and look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This reminds me of a, "Simple Pleasures" post.

    Yes, life is great at times and then, it takes a turn. All I can say is, prayers (and more prayers), hope, trust, friends and family help so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your photographs are terrific! Your post on finding joy in the ordinary is so encouraging! :-)

    ~Carol
    https://www.puretsimple.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle