Thursday, July 14, 2016

Time for Everything : Time for Nothing


We all need time. 

Time to think. 

Time to process feelings. 

Time to weigh the pros and cons. 

We need time to set a goal, to meet a deadline, to make a to-do list. I recall the busy years when I wished for just one more hour in the day. Oh, if only I had more time!

I used to tell my writing students—those who complained about not having enough time to write—that we all have 24 hours in a day. No more than that will ever be ours. People make time for what’s important to them, even if it’s just a few minutes a day.

But we also need time for doing nothing.


recall peaceful days by the seashore, inhaling the salty air ...


and time spent listening to the melody of a little river, as it made its way around the bend ...


I remember catching golden highlights on a summer afternoon ...


and savoring the day while sitting on a grand front porch.


“Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time.”

These are the words of John Lubbock. Hats off to him, and a resounding, “Amen.”

Until next time, sweet friends, I hope that your summer dreams are all coming true, that your time is being spent in the ways that make you happy.



***

Part of the series, Share Your Cup



16 comments:

  1. Oh, I absolutely say a resounding AMEN to that! Wonderful post, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that! I'm blessed to be retired and be able to choose how I spend most of my time. And it's been a wonderful summer...even with the heat! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an awesome quote and one that we need to take to heart. In the "hamster wheel of activity" society we live in, we have come to believe that busy is better, so we never slow down. Maybe we've come to worship busyness. But I learned the hard way (by getting very ill) that downtime is necessary and good.

    Thanks for sharing that awesome quote and these very wise thoughts.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Dayle. I am spending these days resting and enjoying summer! School will begin in August so I need to drink it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for making time for us.
    I value your words and thoughts.
    I always have time for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love doing nothing. It's a learned "activity."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doing nothing...ah! Those moments are too few in our busy lives, huh? Sometimes we just have to make an intentional and concentrated effort to make it happen. Sending you many blessings, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post couldn't have come at a better time. It's been a week of non-stop "doing." Making time to do nothing is exactly what I needed to hear, Dayle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm trying to learn Italian and they say, "Dolce far niente" which is, "The sweetness of doing nothing." I think this busyness and rushed life is an American habit. Your pretty photos are inspiration enough to get outdoors and be still. Thanks for the good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, Dayle! CONGRATULATIONS!!! Both you and Gayle are winners of Joshua Becker's new book! I had to laugh out loud when I saw that both of your numbers came up when chosen randomly! So neat! I just need you to contact me privately to provide your mailing address, so we can get your book in the mail to you right away, Lord willing! So happy for both of you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is too funny. Our "twin-ness" comes out in odd ways sometimes. I'm thrilled about receiving the book and will contact you with the info requested. Thanks!

      Delete
  11. I love being out in nature Dayle and your pictures are fabulous. Makes me want to hit the trails and just be. Have a fabulous weekend taking time for what you love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another thoughtful post.
    I remember when parents of my students would worry about their child being bored. My thought always was "When will they have time to think if they are busy every minute." Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love downtime. Time to think, ponder, imagine, and just slow down. That porch looks like it's at The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island in Michigan? Lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. We enjoyed two nights and three days there back on our 30th wedding anniversary in 2010. Lovely place.

      Delete
  14. Such a lovely, and timely post. I struggle to find some of that time, as I know how important it is. Your images are lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle