Friday, August 5, 2016

TEXAS : Almost twice the size of Germany and other fun facts


TEXAS is a mighty big state. The Man and I have driven across it and up and down it more than once. At some point, you begin to wonder if you'll ever get out of the state. It's so big that most people, even those who live in Texas, as I do, have no idea how big it is, or how it stacks up to other U.S. states, and other parts of the world. 

I recently ran across a fun article by Dan Solomon in a 2015 issue of Texas Monthly magazine and came away more informed than when I started. For example, Texas is almost twice the size of Germany and roughly the same size as France, with Switzerland thrown in. The article is a fascinating and interesting read. If you've never been to Texas, or if you live here, you're sure to learn something about the Lone Star State that you didn't know before.

With a state as big as Texas, it's no wonder that there are some unique and downright strange names for the cities that make up its many miles. I think it's safe to say that whatever mood you’re in, or whatever you’re in the mood for, chances are there’s a city in Texas to meet your needs.


Need cheering up? 
Comfort, Texas
Friendship, Texas
Friendswood, Texas
Happy, Texas
Mt. Pleasant, Texas
Paradise, Texas
Point Comfort, Texas
Rainbow, Texas
Sweet Home, Texas
Smiley, Texas 


Love it when things are sunny?
Sun City, Texas
Sundown, Texas
Sunray, Texas
Sunrise, Texas
Sunset, Texas
Sunnyside, Texas
Sunnyvale, Texas

Getting hungry?
Bacon, Texas
Bean Station, Texas
Berryville, Texas
Grape Creek, Texas
Grapeland, Texas
Grapevine, Texas
Noodle, Texas
Oatmeal, Texas
Orange, Texas
Pearland, Texas
Plum Grove, Texas
Rice, Texas
Sugar Land, Texas
Salty, Texas
Turkey, Texas
Trout, Texas

If you're craving a little caffeine, head to:
Chocolate Bayou, Texas
Coffee City, Texas
Coke, Texas

Why travel to cities in other states when Texas has:
Albany, Texas
Atlanta, Texas
Boston, Texas
Buffalo, Texas
Detroit, Texas
Canton, Texas
Colorado City, Texas
Columbus, Texas
Denver City, Texas
Jacksonville, Texas
Memphis, Texas
Miami, Texas
Omaha, Texas
Pittsburg, Texas
Reno, Texas
Santa Fe, Texas
Shreveport, Texas
Tennessee Colony, Texas




Feel like leaving the country? Come visit these Texas cities:
Athens, Texas
Canadian, Texas
China, Texas
Egypt, Texas
Jamaica Beach, Texas
Turkey, Texas
London, Texas
New London, Texas
Palestine, Texas
Paris, Texas

No need to travel to Washington D.C. when we have:
Whitehouse, Texas

There's even a city named after our own state:

Texas City, Texas

Are you needing a little boost?
Energy, Texas
Pep, Texas

Feeling a bit chilly?
Blanket, Texas

Not happy with the current season?
Winters, Texas
Spring, Texas


Need to cool off?
Beach City, Texas
Big Lake, Texas
Big Spring, Texas
Cistern, Texas
Clear Lake, Texas
Coldspring, Texas
Cool, Texas
Dripping Springs, Texas
Poolville, Texas
Seabrook, Texas
Shallowater, Texas

Enjoy reading about history?
Alamo, Texas
Ben Franklin, Texas
Ben Hur, Texas
Comanche, Texas
Crockett, Texas
Goliad, Texas
Gun Barrel City, Texas
Pecos, Texas
Santa Anna, Texas

If you’re feeling lucky, you might stop by:
Ace, Texas
Domino, Texas
Black Jack, Texas
Shamrock, Texas


We’ve even got cities for those unsure and temperamental folks:Uncertain, Texas
Moody, Texas
Ponder, Texas


Need Office Supplies? Check out:
Staples, Texas

If your man is from Mars, bring him to:
Venus, Texas

For the kids, we have ...
Kermit, Texas
Elmo, Texas
Nemo, Texas
Tarzan, Texas
Winnie, Texas
Sylvester, Texas

I’ll let you figure out the reasons for these quirky names:
Bangs, Texas
Bee Cave, Texas
Best, Texas
Bigfoot, Texas
Blue, Texas
Bootleg, Texas
Cactus, Texas
Dime Box, Texas
Frognot, Texas
Hogeye, Texas
Kickapoo, Texas
Notrees, Texas
Telephone, Texas
Telegraph, Texas
Twitty, Texas
Utopia, Texas
Veribest, Texas
Whiteface, Texas

Whoops! Don't forget about:
Cut and Shoot, Texas
Ding Dong, Texas
Hoop And Holler, Texas
Muleshoe, Texas
Sour Lake, Texas

And there’s a place in Texas that’s not Texas. It's called:
Knott, Texas

When y’all get ready for bed, stop on by:
Goodnight, Texas

And just in case we left anybody out, there's:
Earth, Texas




18 comments:

  1. Hilarious! I love Texas! For some reason, I was reminded of the personal names you cited a while back. OMW!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an entertaining post! I enjoyed that.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the names of places you have mention. Alot of them gave me a belly laugh. I think we have a few of those towns here in WV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you sold me on a visit to this mighty, big state!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting! I didn't know any of this, so now I am informed! We came to Texas once...to the Dallas area. Thanks for sharing this fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...thanks for all the fun facts about Texas. I have been there twice and all I remember is thinking we would never get to Dallas :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute! I remember years ago driving from Oklahoma City down to Galveston - it was a pretty long drive! I know that Texans are proud of the size of their state, but I can't resist pointing out that my province, British Columbia, is 1.36 times the size of Texas, so we could tuck you right inside and have room around the edges!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, this is just so much fun!
    I'm a true-blue Texan, born here, live in Houston.
    One fact you didn't show is that El Paso is exactly half way from Houston to Los Angeles. We have many many many professionals transferred here who, once here, never leave. True.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great post! I've got to share this with my son, who loves trivia and facts like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun post! We've subscribed to Texas Monthly for a while now, but I don't recall having seen this article. What? No "Stink Creek"? I used to crack up at the road sign headed to Lubbock, but maybe it wasn't big enough to qualify as a town.

    LOVED that photo of Arabella peering into the library. Some of my earliest memories were Mother taking me to our public library, instilling in me a love of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun!! I love trivia facts, and really enjoyed the names of towns in Texas!! My family once took a family road trip, retracing Route 66 from California to St. Louis (someday I want to do the whole thing to Chicago!) We traversed Texas, and yes, I think we were there for days!! Enjoyed a meal at the Big Texan Steak Ranch, and penned our names at Cadillac Ranch, in Amarillo. On our way home, we stopped in Dallas. Some day I'd love to visit your great state again and spend some more time there!!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Dayle, that was a good post. Texas is, indeed, a very large state. Wowsers. Take care and hope you get some "yellow rose(s)." Loved that song-----"Yellow Rose of Texas." Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun article. I am a huge geography lover, so I am always interested in learning facts and trivia about places on the map. Some of those town/city names are quite a hoot.

    My new son-in-law is from Texas. He would love this article.

    Have a great day,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was a hoot! I must show it to my Texan. I think I would like to live in Uncertain, Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband and I drove from GA to CA years ago and when we went through Texas I thought we were going in circles because it took so long! We saw a sign that said, "The sun has ris, the sun has set, and here we is, in Texas yet!"

    Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I recently saw a post about the top 20 places to visit in Texas. Now I want to visit . . .

    ReplyDelete
  17. How funny! I got a kick out of reading these names. I lived in Texas for many years and recognize some of them! lol Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun post, Dayle! Utopia sounds like a nice place to live - or maybe, Hoop and Holler!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle