Wednesday, August 3, 2016

The Gifts of July

July mostly found me hiding from the sun. With the temperatures and humidity soaring, going outdoors felt a lot like walking into a sauna, but despite that, it's been a month filled with joy and gifts galore. 

One afternoon, I drove my darling granddaughter to the same library where I used to take her mother so many years ago. It's a place not far from home, a place that sits adjacent to a magnificent botanical garden, one you've seen captured here in pictures.


As we approached the front door, a wave of nostalgia swept over me, almost overtaking me, but I held strong and smiled as the memories rushed in, so sweet, so poignant, so unforgettable. 



Libraries, in general, are not as popular a place as they were 30 years ago, with so many resources now available from the comforts of our own homes, but I was pleased to see people milling about, children here and there, and the place looking familiar enough. 


I discovered they still have story time for little ones on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which makes it perfect for us. My hope is that I will make sweet memories here with my granddaughter, in the years to come.


Fresh produce from a local farmer's market is always part of July's many gifts.


Taking a toddler to church can be challenging, but with Vacation Bible School activities wrapping up on a Sunday in July, I thought it was the perfect weekend to take cupcake to church and let her enjoy herself. 

It was an overflow crowd, so there were folks standing in the back of the church, which is where I captured the darling video below. The children were singing, "If You're Happy and You Know It." It takes cupcake awhile to get the hang of things, but, as you will see, if you take a look, she is certainly having herself a good time.


video



There were other gifts in July, of course. 


One of them was sharing the backseat with twin sister, which may not sound all that special, but it was a very special occasion.

I've blogged about other July gifts in earlier posts this month, and hinted of others. I don't suppose one can ever name all of the blessings that 31 days holds, but August is now here and I look forward to what awaits.

Until next time, dear friends, I don't know how it is August already, but my wish is that the final days of summer are kind to you.


***



13 comments:

  1. Oh, my, that video is too precious for words. Arabella is so so so cute. How fun for you to take her to the very same library you took her momma. That will never happen for me since we no longer live in Florida.

    I have to tell you, my daughter used to be a children's librarian. She left that job the end of last year to go to school full-time, but for 5 years, she worked in the children's department of our local library. She led a couple programs, including a story time session for the 6 - 24 month crowd. It was very well attended, so even though older people may not use the library as much as they did in years past, it would appear that moms are exposing their children to the library at very young ages still. I'm glad of that.

    Thanks for bringing a smile to my face with your lovely article.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a little cutie ♥ Happy Wednesday ♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Dayle - that Arabella is just precious. Isn't it fun to spend such precious time with them?

    Have a great Wednesday.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that precious Arabella! That was the cutest thing I've seen in a while. She is just adorable! So happy you are enjoying the summer with her...I can only imagine how much joy she brings and the memories that flooded you in the library were so sweet to hear about. God bless you, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGOSH- I got such a kick out of Cupcake clapping when they were stomping- as she 'caught on'. So darned cute. Love the pic of you and your sister, too.

    I still take my grandgirls to the library-Two of the three are prolific readers. (thank you, Lord).

    Have a wonderful August- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aunt Gayle loves her Arabella! She is growing like a weed and getting smarter every day. Loved seeing her clapping and jumping in church. :-) And thank you, twin sister, for sharing the backseat with me on such a special occasion. How great is our God!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure which made me smile more....the adorable video or the sister love both in the post, and in the comment section.
    Have a wonderful day! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a joyful little doll baby Arabella is...she is absolutely precious. I do hope we have had our hottest temps in July...but I highly doubt it. I am already anticipating fall weather...and soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That little cupcake of yours is just the cutest thing! I love that photo of her at the library door - just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember running to the Library to cool off, back in the days before we had air conditioning. That's when I fell in love with books! The smell, the touch, the pictures and stories.
    You are such a good Grandma! Taking Cupcake to the Library and Church!
    She will remember these times as precious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I know that familiar wave of nostalgia. It's such a sweet experience to take grandchildren to the same places you took their parent. Love this so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cannot believe it is August too. Time just goes by too fast. The little one looks so cute in her dress. I love it when they are that age. You get the chance to see the world in a new light.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, Dayle. That was so totally adorable. I do believe Cupcake got the hang of it. So utterly precious. Thanks for sharing. Susan

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle