Sunday, August 28, 2016

"TURN ON THE RADIO!" : An Unforgettable Moment

I'm ashamed to admit it, especially having been raised in a minister's home, but many years ago, back when I took care of writing checks for bills, I decided we just couldn't afford to pay tithes anymore. Bills were multiplying and the 10% of our income that we’d always paid to the church would give us a little breathing room, a little spending money, if you will. 

Mind you, it wasn't God's fault that we had let our credit-card debt get away from us, and even with our bad spending choices, God was still honoring our obedience by not letting us go hungry. But the thought of having this extra 10% kept gnawing at me and so, without consulting anyone else, I made an executive decision and quit paying tithes.

At first, things were wonderful. Having breathing room felt amazing. But not too long after, everything went south. The refrigerator broke, the car stopped running, the washing machine went berserk. I'm not kidding. Soon, we were back to where we started.

One night I was home alone—my husband was working—and I remember lying in bed feeling utterly miserable. I felt as if there was no way out of our dilemma. I began to cry; nothing loud or hysterical, just a quiet trickling of tears down the sides of my face, onto the pillow.

"Help us dear Lord," I whispered, and, all of a sudden, out of the blue, I felt in my spirit the Lord say to me, "Turn on the radio."

Now, that may sound strange to you, but it sounded even stranger to me. I had no desire to turn on the radio. I wasn't a radio person. So, I didn't. But I kept hearing the words in my heart: "Turn on the radio! Turn on the radio!" Finally I reached over and hit the button, and what I heard changed my life.

A female DJ was hosting a late Sunday night show on a gospel radio station and this is what she said the very instant I turned on the radio: "God sees your tears," she said. "He understands what you're going through." Needless to say, she had my full attention. "I want to read you some scriptures," she said. "And I believe this is what the Lord would say to you tonight."

She began reading from the King James Version, Hebrews 12:5: "Despise not the chastening of the Lord, for whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth." 

And then, to my astonishment, without pausing, she began reading Malachi 3:10: "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in my house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing that there shall not be room enough to receive it."

It felt as if I'd been struck by lightning. What was happening here? I got out of bed and fell to my knees. I asked God to forgive me for making the decision to stop paying tithes, and I thanked him for loving me enough to chastise me. I vowed, from that day forward that, as long as I was in charge of bill-paying, I would always pay tithes first, even if they turned off our electricity. It took us awhile to get out of debt, but I'm happy to say that I kept my promise, and God kept His.

I have not been responsible for seeing that the bills get paid on time in many years, but I will never forget the night that the Lord prompted me to turn on the radio, and I’m so glad I obeyed that prompting.

***

This post is part of the series, Spiritual Sundays.


14 comments:

  1. I never get tired, hearing about miracles from our God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I love love hearing testimonies like this! I shouldn't be, but it still amazes me when I see the Lord working through unusual circumstances or inanimate objects! He will use anything he can to speak to His children! Thank for posting this, Dayle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Providence! What a wonderful example you'e shared today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, Dayle. Sometimes He gives us direction very clearly, doesn't He?

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, just wow!!! I am so amazed when God does amazing things like this. That was really something and surely did get His point across. We did the same thing one time...we thought the extra 10% would be so helpful, and oh, the chastening we did receive! It was almost unbearable, but God made it plain what we needed to do through that chastening, and we made the necessary changes. My mimmie always said we cannot outgive God, and she was right. It is amazing, but the other bills always get paid, if we put God first. Thank you for sharing this amazing story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful testimony! You will remember forever...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it amazing how the Lord moves in our lives when we listen for His voice? I do not believe God needs one penny of our money. It's not about the money at all, it's about our obedience. God is SO GOOD!!!! Thank you for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If we listen... He always speaks to us ♥ Hugs

    summerdaisy.cottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your story. I once had to learn that tithing is the only way for a Christian. I had all kinds of financial problems until I obeyed.

    How interesting that the moment you turned the radio on, you heard what you needed to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE to hear these stories where our God talks to us soo clearly. Obedience is not always easy, but always profitable! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the reminder of the importance of tithing, Dayle. Your columns are always insightful. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. God often speaks to us ... if we are tuned in to His station.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A truly amazing story, twin sister, and how I love it when amazing things happen. I am also a witness that tithing keeps you in the black when you're out of work and money is dwindling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love when the Lord prompts our hearts like that, and I love what He has to *say* when we obey the prompting! I can't tell you the number of times that He's told me to turn on the radio in the car, or open my Bible randomly, or read a devotional, or call someone. He is always speaking - are we listening? If we do, and do what He says, blessings are sure to follow!!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle