Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Sweet September : Scenes from a Blessed Life

Dear friends, while I was looking the other way, September arrived with sunshine and rain, and just a hint of a breeze. That doesn’t mean the heat and humidity have lifted though; summer always outstays her welcome around these parts. But we look ahead and know things will change, as they always do.

Well, well ... cue the trumpets. The girl has lost 15 pounds this summer, just by counting calories and making wiser choices. Yes, I know you’ve heard it all before, because it’s the same 15 pounds I bragged about losing two years ago, and the same 15 I lost four years before that, but, hey, it’s still 15 pounds.



When you count calories, you don't have to, necessarily, eat healthy; moderation is the key. But it's hard to beat simple food, prepared in the simplest of ways—like roasted asparagus that melts in your mouth.


That said, there are also times when I crave a not-so-healthy choice—like this small stack of lemon pancakes. It was my first time to try making them but I may never go back to the old way. All I did was add a tablespoon of lemon zest, per pancake, to the batter. The flavor is light and lemony and heavenly.

***


Our darling cupcake turned 18-months old yesterday. Papaw and I enjoyed taking her to see the ducks at the cemetery where my in-laws are buried. I wish you could hear the sound she makes for a duck. It rivals anything I've ever heard and sounds like nothing I've ever heard. I've tried to capture it on video but to no avail. Maybe my luck will change soon.


Three months

Six months

Nine months 

12 months

Yesterday

Oh, how swiftly the little ones evolve and change, but some things stay the same. Her smile is fairer than any sunrise; her kisses sweeter than candy. She fills my heart with joy whenever she reaches for me, or snuggles in the crook of my neck when I lift her from her bed. I never take for granted that I am here, that she is here.


On a recent evening, after the dwellers were all in bed, I walked through the living room, picking up this and that, straightening the quilt on the couch, fluffing the pillows, clearing the floor. On any given day, walk in any room of my home and you’ll find toys and stuffed animals strewn about, children’s books, and random items bearing the sticky fingerprints of a toddler. But on the messiest of days, I wouldn’t change a single thing about this big and beautiful life I get to call mine, a life filled with tender moments like those you see in the photos above.

Until next time, dear friends, may the days of September be filled with kind words and gentle moments.

***




14 comments:

  1. Ah, what a sweet and beautiful start to my morning, Dayle. Your words are so lovely and inspiring, and who doesn't just smile when they see photos of your darling Arabella. What a sweetheart! I'm so glad you are part of her life and that she is part of yours, on a daily basis.

    Congratulations on the 15 pound weight loss. I need to do the same thing---make wise choices and count calories. I've put on about 10 pounds this summer, and if I don't get it off before winter, I won't have anything to wear (without buying a new wardrobe, which I can't afford).

    Those lemon pancakes look scrumptious. I must try that recipe myself.

    Blessings on your day,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is such a little cutie, and how fast the time goes. 18 months already...I am watching my grand kids grow up right before my eyes and how grateful I am to see it. Your soo right...we are blessed beyond measure. Hmmm lemon pancakes sound just wonderful..I think I will give that a whirl. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are clever to pay attention to the details because it all zooms by in the blink of an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh Dayle, she has grown, and what a cutie she is! A bundle of joy for sure. Lemon zest added to pancakes, oh yum! I must give it a try.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is super cute and I know the joy you feel inside at the sounds they make! I just saw a video on Facebook of my two year old granddaughter at the zoo greeting the penguins and I can still hear her voice in my head "Hi, Penguins!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sweet cupcake is precious? My daughter and grandchildren recently left after a month-long visit. How I miss the nightly picking up. Enjoy!

    Congrats on the weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just happened to see a recipe for lemon pancakes on Pinterest yesterday...your testimony has made a believer out of me...I must try them! And speaking of pancakes, congrats on the weight loss, although from my perspective you didn't look like you needed to lose an ounce. And cupcake couldn't get any cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you know, that I know, just how you feel!
    I was with you mentally, as you walked through your home, seeing the toys, books and sticky finger marks. You can't buy that! And it's something that is so precious.
    Keep enjoying these moments. Arabella is just so cute!

    Congratulations on 15 pounds! That's admirable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the 15 pounds . . . and don't beat yourself up. Over the last several years I've gained and lost, and gained and lost, and gained and lost 25 pounds!!! Losing is the easy part . . .keeping it off is TOUGH!!! You go girl!!! Your little granddaughter is precious. What a blessings. Yes, you are so right . . . on my worst day I am blessed beyond measure to be loved by the God of the universe when I am so undeserving. Still summertime here in Missouri, hot and humid. I am so ready for a cool down. Blessings my beautiful friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy September! 18 months is such a fun age. Who am I kidding? Every age is a fun age!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Dayle, Cupcake is so totally adorable.No wonder your heart is so filled to the brim with love. I can identify totally with all the baby toys and paraphernalia around. My living room and side porch look like a daycare center! ha! (No House Beautiful shots pul-eese). And 15 pounds lost? FIFTEEN? Totally fabulous. Fabulous. Congratulations. Your lemon pancakes look yummified, too. Hugs. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your lemon pancakes look so inviting, I think I'll have to try that for brunch tomorrow (being Saturday).

    Such a beautiful Cupcake ... it's no wonder you are totally smitten and wouldn't change a thing.

    I've been just cutting down on my food intake, not cutting out, just eating less at mealtimes. It's making a difference for me too, so let me offer congrats on your own journey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that darling girl! She is just precious. So thankful all is well with you, Dayle, and a big CONGRATULATIONS on losing 15 pounds...what a wonderful accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You rock at counting calories and making wiser choices! I have lately looked at the THM Diet {Trim Healthy Mama}. "You can eat protein, veggies, carbs and fat — as long as you avoid eating both carbs and fat in the same meal."

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers, I adore your company and your comments. If you ask questions here, I respond to them here, so please check back when you have a chance. Kind regards, Dayle